Husqvarna 242 models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eivind from Norway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased my first chainsaw in 1995. A brand new Husqvarna 242 XPG. It has served me very well, and still runs extremely great. It goes by the name Superqvarna here. I have in 2006 purchased 2 more used ones from Sweden. One just as good as Superqvarna (goes by the name Svenskeqvarna) And one with a catalysator that we could never make run properly (It never earned a name, and I use it for parts now…) I have since also found several more Qvarnas from Sweden: 254XPG air injection, 262XPG, 162G, 372XPG and a 288XPG. And last week they were joined by a brand new (and ever so nice to use) T540XP for climbing jobs.

I really really really love the 242s for my all round working saws. (The only thing I don´t like is the # of times I have to pull to start them when they are cold.) And I plan on buying a couple more so my son and I will be kept happy in the years to come.

Does someone know the differences between the different models of the 242, and to what degree the parts are interchangeable? (As far as I know there are 5 different editions (87, 89, 90, 94 and 98)

I do know that XP implies "Expert" and means better quality parts and more horsepower and lower weight, and that G implies "Generator" and means Electrically heated handles.

Very very grateful for accurate information :)

Welcome.
As far as I know the 242xp has a closed port top end which amounts to a bit more horsepower over the standard Husqvarna 42. The weight of the xpg model would be slightly higher than the non heated handle version of this saw. The quality of the other parts in the 242xp saw are no better than any other 242 or 42 model saw. The top end is interchangeable between the Husqvarna 42, 242 and the 242xp. The 234, 238, 246 Husqvarna model top ends will interchange on to the 242 chassis as well. I am not aware of any of the 242 models enjoying air injection which would be a major plus for that series of saw. If the saw doesn't start well a thorough carb overhaul using an OEM carb kit should fix that problem.

Welcome.
As far as I know the 242xp has a closed port top end which amounts to a bit more horsepower over the standard Husqvarna 42. The weight of the xpg model would be slightly higher than the non heated handle version of this saw. The quality of the other parts in the 242xp saw are no better than any other 242 or 42 model saw. The top end is interchangeable between the Husqvarna 42, 242 and the 242xp. The 234, 238, 246 Husqvarna model top ends will interchange on to the 242 chassis as well. I am not aware of any of the 242 models enjoying air injection which would be a major plus for that series of saw. If the saw doesn't start well a thorough carb overhaul using an OEM carb kit should fix that problem.

Thank you for much information Almondgt.
By top end, do you mean cylinder?
And do you have any info about the different editions? Is the early 242G as good as the later 242 XPG? Are parts interchangeable between editions?
Saw an ad for a 242G with Triobrake...

Regarding starting "problem" The difficulty is onle when the saws are cold. Both 242´s fire just a little on the 10th pull (choke handle out, then start on the 11th with the choke handle pushed in. Strange thing, almost always on the 10th pull… And it has been this way since it was new...

Top end.........piston/cylinder
The 242 may have a different piston/cylinder than the 242xp not sure.
Parts are interchangeable between those models...ie matched piston/cylinders
Never heard of a trio brake assembly on a Husqvarna 242 model in North America
Shouldn't take 10 pulls to start the saw unless the fuel is stale or SPARK PLUG is not firing well, I use Bosch or NGK and recommend a change
Check your fuel line/fuel filter for obstructions and proper fit

Last edited:
I've got a couple of 242's - a '92 xp and a '96 xpg (from memory) with 15" bars. I love them - great for the size wood I mostly cut. Very light weight and snappy acceleration. Mine have been totally reliable too.

Mine only ever take 10 pulls to start if the carb has emptied of fuel.

As well as the other suggestions you could check the choke butterfly is moving and latching ok and that the L screw is set rich enough.

I have no info for you...but would love to see some pics . Love the 242xp !!

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add one more bit of info about the compatibility of the various crankcases. You can not use an early 42 crankcase for a 246. That is because the crankcase bore that provides clearance for the skirt of the piston is about 0.002" less on the earlier crankcase. This difference is enough to prevent a 246 piston skirt from fitting into this bore. I did this and got it built up to the point I was going to pressure test it, only to find out the crank wouldn't turn fully - had me going for awhile. Apparently Husky did not have the the 246 on its radar when the earlier crankcase was designed.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add one more bit of info about the compatibility of the various crankcases. You can not use an early 42 crankcase for a 246. That is because the crankcase bore that provides clearance for the skirt of the piston is about 0.002" less on the earlier crankcase. This difference is enough to prevent a 246 piston skirt from fitting into this bore. I did this and got it built up to the point I was going to pressure test it, only to find out the crank wouldn't turn fully - had me going for awhile. Apparently Husky did not have the the 246 on its radar when the earlier crankcase was designed.
I never knew they changed the crankcase that way. Thanks for the advice.
Speaking about 42/246, have you one 42 special cylinder that you could post picture?

I have a 42 Special set aside for a future rebuild but I have not torn it down yet. Is there some aspect in particular you want to see? You may be able to see one on eBay or there may even be one here on some other post.

I have a 42 Special set aside for a future rebuild but I have not torn it down yet. Is there some aspect in particular you want to see? You may be able to see one on eBay or there may even be one here on some other post.
i was most interested to see their marking.
42 have Gilardoni 241A, just wodering how 42 spec is marked, and off course, later pics if posible og thr cylinder

Resuscitating this thread...

So I went to sell off one of my 242s and promptly received a question from an ebay bidder that I could not answer, so I pulled the auction. The question concerned the cylinder, which is a Gilardoni 241B casting. I know that 241C is a 246; it also has decomp and the transfers are visibly flatter when viewed from the outside compared to the 241B. And it has been said that a 241A is a 42 (and 42 Special?). And I read somewhere that Gilardoni never made 242xp cylinders.

So what is a 241B?

Is there any way to look in through the sparkplug hole to see the transfer ports to determine if it is open or closed? The open ports typically have a tiny divider between them, the closed ports are usually a single opening. If it is a closed port Gilardoni on a 242, that would be news.

Hopefully Tor or SawTroll will be by with the scoop.

Gilardoni made 242 jugs, they are very rare though,as collector view I would say they are more worth.

I dont know what stamp they had, but you can figure this out quite simple without pulling the jug, 42 and 42 special had quad open port transfer while 242 had dual closed port jug.
To make it a bit more complicated some say 42 spec was closed port jug, but I've never seen any IPL's who show 42 spec jug, and the piston was the same from day one to the end of 42/42 spec production.

You can pull the muffler and and torch light through the spark plug hole and you will easily see if it's a quad port.
Please update us on what you see.

Thank you for much information Almondgt.
By top end, do you mean cylinder?
And do you have any info about the different editions? Is the early 242G as good as the later 242 XPG? Are parts interchangeable between editions?
Saw an ad for a 242G with Triobrake...

Regarding starting "problem" The difficulty is onle when the saws are cold. Both 242´s fire just a little on the 10th pull (choke handle out, then start on the 11th with the choke handle pushed in. Strange thing, almost always on the 10th pull… And it has been this way since it was new...

Welcome to AS, it always is nice with more Norwegians here! :happy::D

What usually is referred to as "top end" is the complete cylinder and piston.

To me it looks like what you refer to as "editions" really is the IPL dates. Changes in production happens more or less "all the time", and a new (edition of the) IPL doesn't always mean a new edition of the saw model. Most times it doesn't - it just sums up the changes made since the last IPL.

This is the first time I have seen someone suggesting that xp means expert - commonly it is believed to mean "extra power", and all the evidence I have seen is pointing that way.

The rear hand brake on the 242 wasn't called Triobrake, but I don't remember exactly what it was called. Something to avoid on a saw anyway (but don't ask a Swede about his opinion)....

Latest posts

Back