Husqvarna 281...any good???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoBob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a total new guy here, so please bare with me....

Great site here...lots of very useful information!

It's time for me to get a saw. I've used more than a few over the years, and cut lots of firewood...but never owned my own. Always had friends/family with Stihl and Husky saws and liked them both.
I'm a fairly strong guy, so I don't mind a heavier saw as long as it works well.
I've got a chance to buy a Husky 281 at a fair price...I'd love to hear what you think of them. I would mostly be using it for firewood, hunting and camping use here in Western BC, Canada.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

It's time for me to get a saw. I've used more than a few over the years, and cut lots of firewood...but never owned my own. Always had friends/family with Stihl and Husky saws and liked them both.
I'm a fairly strong guy, so I don't mind a heavier saw as long as it works well.
I've got a chance to buy a Husky 281 at a fair price...I'd love to hear what you think of them. I would mostly be using it for firewood, hunting and camping use here in Western BC, Canada.

Cheers,
Bob

Welcome to the site. and as Mr. SawTroll said these are awesome old saws built like brick restrooms. :cheers:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Bob

Welcome to the site, nice to see a fellow BC member, where abouts in BC do you live, I'm in Victoria.

281 is a good saw, as long as it's not completely wore out, any chance you can do a compression test on it?

Will

I'm up in Pemberton, just North of Whistler.

I could do a compression test...assuming you do it the same way as on a car ect...any pointers??? According to the seller it's starts and runs well.

Thanks,
Bob

I'm up in Pemberton, just North of Whistler.

I could do a compression test...assuming you do it the same way as on a car ect...any pointers??? According to the seller it's starts and runs well.

Thanks,
Bob

Yup pretty much the same, just keep pulling it over until the gauge wont go up any more, usually about 5 good pulls. I'd like to see over 140

BongoBob I think I bought that exact same saw!

Was that saw in Langley? Because I got one out there for $250 from off of craigslist a couple days ago.
Turned out to be a bad deal. Now I am on here looking for help!
The oiler was shot even though chain seemed to be oily when I got it.
Also there was a crack I didn't notice because it was glued in the oil tank.
I actually did check the compression and it came out at 165 so that sold the saw for me.
I am on the Island now near Victoria and will have to wait to try tigging the crack in the aluminum oil tank, very slow leak anyway.
What I was hoping though was if PARRISW could recommend a parts dealer here in Victoria where I could get parts for the oiler. Looks like I only need a few little things like the plastic worm gear, dust seal and the other little rubber seal after the dust seal. It was trashed in there and I am hoping it was just because of the chain coming off and flying around?
Also looking for repair manual in PDF or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
TBD.

Last edited:
Was that saw in Langley? Because I got one out there for $250 from off of craigslist a couple days ago.
Turned out to be a bad deal. Now I am on here looking for help!
The oiler was shot even though chain seemed to be oily when I got it.
Also there was a crack I didn't notice because it was glued in the oil tank.
I actually did check the compression and it came out at 165 so that sold the saw for me.
I am on the Island now near Victoria and will have to wait to try tigging the crack in the aluminum oil tank, very slow leak anyway.
What I was hoping though was if PARRISW could recommend a parts dealer here in Victoria where I could get parts for the oiler. Looks like I only need a few little things like the plastic worm gear, dust seal and the other little rubber seal after the dust seal. It was trashed in there and I am hoping it was just because of the chain coming off and flying around?
Also looking for repair manual in PDF or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
TBD.

Hey, you'll like that saw once its sorted out. PM me your email, I'll get ya some info.

Will

Back