Husqvarna 336 or Dolmar 401 - Any opinions out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been looking at picking up a smaller saw for limbing and general yard maintenance. I was considering a Dolmar 401 or the Husky 336, both used. There doesn't appear to be much written out there on either of these, especially so for the 336. I used to have a MS200T that was ideal for this even though it was a top-handle but sold it and am kind of regretting it a bit now.
Any and all opinions are appreciated, thanks.

I have a 401 and I love it. It is 9lbs and pretty gutsy. It is a great saw to take for a walk. Mine is running 16" 0.325 SC. I have buried the bar noodling and I was surprised how well it pulled. They take very well to a MM. I know one member that is currently porting and putting a pop-up in his 401. Mine will probably receive a similar treatment.

I don't know anything about the Husky.

I have no issue against either, for that use - take the one you like best.

Personally, I would prefere the 339xp or MS200/201 - but that wasn't the question.

Last edited:
The 401 is a fine small saw. I use 14" RSC with a MM and she runs great.

Mag case, even has a decomp. button (funny on a small saw) and I put an adjustable oiler on her and thats my small Pro Saw.

Never tried the Husky.

Personally, I would prefere the 339xp or MS200/201 - but that wasn't the question.

I am open to suggestions, especially since I am mostly shopping in the used market for this one. I at one point in time actually had a MS200T and it was a beauty, but I wasn't sure about the top handle for my uses and in a moment of weakness I sold it. Between one of these that you suggested, what would your preference be and why?

The 401 is a fine small saw. I use 14" RSC with a MM and she runs great.

Mag case, even has a decomp. button (funny on a small saw) and I put an adjustable oiler on her and thats my small Pro Saw.

Never tried the Husky.

What gauge is the cutting attachment on your 401?

RSC sounds like too much chain, and don't really match the 3/8" lo-pro setup they mostly came with in the US anyway???? :confused:

Last edited:
I have no issue against either, for that use - take the one you like best.

You mentioned the MS200 and I have read enough about its legendary status here on AS. Just wondering what if any opinion you have on its predecessor the 020? Is it a good deal used or am I better off just looking for the 200?

You mentioned the MS200 and I have read enough about its legendary status here on AS. Just wondering what if any opinion you have on its predecessor the 020? Is it a good deal used or am I better off just looking for the 200?

I have no opinion on the 020, as I know little about them - but I believe there were several different ones??? :msp_confused:

I owned a husky 336. Only problem I had with it was the air filter setup. The air filter is right above the chain, so when cutting. Chips and crud get kicked up into the airbox. If you are cutting under cleaner conditions then I do, it might not be a big problem. It could handle a 16" narrow kerf B&C without any problems. The saw was funky looking, but well balanced and light weight. It needed a muffler mod to wake it up. It has huskies great A/V system and ergonomics. I used it for tree trimming and a back up saw while cutting firewood.

My .02

Mike

Thanks ST and Mike. I had a 200T before but sold it and now miss the handiness of something that nimble. I'd come across a 336 on kijiji and had seen one before but wanted some opinions as nobody I know actually used one. Turns out my local Husky dealer has a 336 NOS that he wants $300 for. I have also just seen a 020T listed so any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks ST and Mike. I had a 200T before but sold it and now miss the handiness of something that nimble. I'd come across a 336 on kijiji and had seen one before but wanted some opinions as nobody I know actually used one. Turns out my local Husky dealer has a 336 NOS that he wants $300 for. I have also just seen a 020T listed so any and all opinions are welcome.

$300.00 CAD is not a bad price for a NOS 336! How much for a dolmar 401 local to you? The dolmar(2.30 hp) has .30 hp on the husky(2.0 hp). The 336 spins at 13,800 vs. 12000 for the 401.

Mike

Before I bought my 339xp I was looking at the rear handle MS200t.
Been using the 339 for two years now and have had no problems. I have the saw setup running 325 chain with a 14" bar. The 339 is the same engine as my Husky and Jonsered climbing saws.

$300.00 CAD is not a bad price for a NOS 336! How much for a dolmar 401 local to you? The dolmar(2.30 hp) has .30 hp on the husky(2.0 hp). The 336 spins at 13,800 vs. 12000 for the 401.

Mike

I thought that it was pretty good for a new 336, especially considering its XP brother is over twice as much. None of the Dolmar dealers around me have any PS401 left, but they were selling them for about $400+ back in the day. I found a guy selling a Makita DCS520 never used for $225 but I think thats a heavier saw. I can't find any specs for it.

Before I bought my 339xp I was looking at the rear handle MS200t.
Been using the 339 for two years now and have had no problems. I have the saw setup running 325 chain with a 14" bar. The 339 is the same engine as my Husky and Jonsered climbing saws.

I admit the 339XP is sweet but it sells for $620 + tax here, putting it at $700 and not where I want to be.

I paid $459.00 'ish for my 346xp-ne last year and two years ago about 300.00 'ish for my NOS 336 from a dealer in FL.

Mike

Sure do love the prices you guys get in the US. That 346XP NE with tax sells for about $800 here, at the same time as our dollar was higher than yours. That $450-ish here buys you a Stihl MS250, and thats not including another $50 in tax.

Sure do love the prices you guys get in the US. That 346XP NE with tax sells for about $800 here, at the same time as our dollar was higher than yours. That $450-ish here buys you a Stihl MS250, and thats not including another $50 in tax.

Why so farking high costs for on saws? Does the government levy heavy taxes on ope? Do the ope manufacturers charge more for ope to make up lack of sales do to Canada lack of population vs. USA ? Or over all taxes in Canada just through the roof?

Mike

Hi all, I've been looking at picking up a smaller saw for limbing and general yard maintenance. I was considering a Dolmar 401 or the Husky 336, both used. There doesn't appear to be much written out there on either of these, especially so for the 336. I used to have a MS200T that was ideal for this even though it was a top-handle but sold it and am kind of regretting it a bit now.
Any and all opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Ms 200 T is the best and sell good too so you really cant lose.

Latest posts

Back