Husqvarna 372xp Ventmaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goods426

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of such a saw? I found one locally and was told it was a former firemans roof cutting saw. From what little research I conducted, I found a $2,000 msrp. The seller says the saw doesn't run, so i may be able to pick it up real cheap.

this is what the saw looks like but its currently in a few pieces
tv400050.jpg

I've read about them, they have oversized start handles for use with gloves, full wrap handles, and adjustable depth gauges for the bar. Not sure how much value it adds, but it certainly adds a "cool" factor.

I'd say 'Go for it.'

Several years ago I came into two firefighters' Quik Vent saws. They were 80cc Echoes with drop nosed bars, carbide chain, oversized starter handle, and extra umph from a bigger carb and "special" piston/cylinder work -- I did not look inside. They also had a big heavy foot to lever against a roof and reduce the risk of kickback. I heard that they fell out of favor when an electrolux-based saw (maybe the one you are looking at) with adjustable depth guide became popular, so my Echoes just sat on the shelf, professionally service twice a year and started once a week, just in case.

I removed the extra parts and put one on a small granberg ripping mill with a 36-inch bar. It works great.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fancy bars and chains. They are nearly new, like the saws.

Don

I have a former fire saw which is a Jonsered 2171 converted by Cutters edge it has a push button kill switch and skrench holder still. Everything else is gone except the external foam filter- like a velocity stack but real short and wide like me. I like it a lot, was well cared for, the wicked work saw sticker on the top is my favorite feature now!

If you can get it for $950-$1150, jump on it, these saws are just that Fireman/Rescue saws. They are pure powerhouses. I've seen them go for $2900 new. Good Luck, the stop comes off, and can be used for Timber cutting, but if you get it up & running, you can name your price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Dave Rohach

I'd say 'Go for it.'

Several years ago I came into two firefighters' Quik Vent saws. They were 80cc Echoes with drop nosed bars, carbide chain, oversized starter handle, and extra umph from a bigger carb and "special" piston/cylinder work -- I did not look inside. They also had a big heavy foot to lever against a roof and reduce the risk of kickback. I heard that they fell out of favor when an electrolux-based saw (maybe the one you are looking at) with adjustable depth guide became popular, so my Echoes just sat on the shelf, professionally service twice a year and started once a week, just in case.

I removed the extra parts and put one on a small granberg ripping mill with a 36-inch bar. It works great.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fancy bars and chains. They are nearly new, like the saws.

Don

If there in the way , pm me I buy them ;)

I'm awaiting a reply email from the Craigslist seller. I hate when people don't list a phone number or at least reply promptly. I mean come on... I trying to hand you money for your old broken junk haha

i converted a ventmaster 575. it's a good saw but there's nothing special about it, just a standard power head with a bunch of specialized stuff bolted on, oversized starter handle, a carbide chain (which would be useless for tree work) and a short bar. all that stuff has to go. also bear in mind that firemen are city or county employees. yes i know the keep their vehicles clean but vent saws are abused. mine was a non-runner, plucked from the county dumpster. the cylinder and case were encrusted with a thick layer of tar which had caused the ignition module to over heat and fail. i was told that the person who "acquired" the saw had actually fished two out of the dumpster which made me wonder if they had both failed on the same job, expensive but disposable. i traded a 50cc poulan for mine. now it's just another 575 with a ventmaster sticker on the air filter cover. anyway, to me vent saws are worth less than standard chain saws. it is expensive to bring them back into serviceable condition and past abuse is likely to cause problems down the line. the fact that the msrp is astronomical is irrelevant.

i converted a ventmaster 575. it's a good saw but there's nothing special about it, just a standard power head with a bunch of specialized stuff bolted on, oversized starter handle, a carbide chain (which would be useless for tree work) and a short bar. all that stuff has to go. also bear in mind that firemen are city or county employees. yes i know the keep their vehicles clean but vent saws are abused. mine was a non-runner, plucked from the county dumpster. the cylinder and case were encrusted with a thick layer of tar which had caused the ignition module to over heat and fail. i was told that the person who "acquired" the saw had actually fished two out of the dumpster which made me wonder if they had both failed on the same job, expensive but disposable. i traded a 50cc poulan for mine. now it's just another 575 with a ventmaster sticker on the air filter cover. anyway, to me vent saws are worth less than standard chain saws. it is expensive to bring them back into serviceable condition and past abuse is likely to cause problems down the line. the fact that the msrp is astronomical is irrelevant.
That is a very interesting point. I never thought of it like that.

I'd say 'Go for it.'

Don

I had a quickvent engine from a smashed saw and stuck it in the chassis of a toasted top end one. Man, I miss that saw! Stolen. Plenty of power and excellent oiling for a 36 inch bar. Perhaps the firemans model engine had more power over the stock normal engine, don't know, just that it was great.

Those carbide chains, if you could find a bar they would fit, perhaps break them and combine into one longer chain? Count the links, see what you can make up. Nice dirty wood rig you would have then. Supposedly you use a diamond file for sharpening.

Yea, I got the 2171 version as a fully functional saw in great condition for$400. Don't spend more for it. It's a 372, pay 372 prices for it if you want to use it as a chainsaw

I have read that they have a "special" engine. My guess is higher compression. But who knows.

I'm a firefighter here in Oregon and I would definitely want to see and thoroughly inspect the saw prior to buying. If it's been used a bunch on commercial roofs for cutting vent holes if could have a lot of hard use on it. Probably not a lot of hours but the material that's being cut can get in the cooling fins and everywhere else in the saw and make a cleaning nightmare. We've had to send out a number of ours to be disassembled and professionally cleaned due to getting tar, melted shingle material gummed up in the body of the saw. We've had bar oil plugs clogged, jetting issues you name it. But if the one your looking at hasn't been used much and it's just a simple fix go for it. If I were you I would make sure to do more than a brief look at the saw, see if you can look deeper than the surface and inspect it really well. Good luck

Back