Husqvarna 445 - Right saw choice? Other ?s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Famous Grouse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Long time lurker here, but never really had reason to post until now.

I'm in the market for a new saw. I own a 120 acres of wooded hunting property, mainly brush and small softwoods, so I use a saw quite a bit for trail clearing and general maintenance. I have a couple of small saws for brush clearing, a little Husky 136 and a Stihl 021. These have served me well for years for general use.

I don't use a chainsaw a lot by some standards, but on most years I'll run a 4-5 gallons of gas through a saw.

Now I'm clearing an area for a new cabin and shed and I feel like I need more power. My little saws are just too slow for bucking anything over about 5 inches, and I have a lot of clearing to do. The cabin area is covered with birch, popple, and soft maple from 4 inches to 14 inches. I would estimate I have 4-5 days of cutting to do. I've started with my smaller saws but I feel like these are just too slow when cutting up the larger 50% of the trees.

I'm looking at a Husqvarna 445. The main reason for honing in on this saw is the combination of power and light weight. I REALLY want to keep under 11 pounds because weight is a real killer for me. The reason I have 2 small saws is that I couldn't handle the weight of my old Stihl 028 and I sold it.

Questions:

- What's the word on the 445 generally? Is this a good fit for my needs?

- Have they messed with the carbs on these saws and made them non-adjustable? I've read a lot of equipment has been messed with and made so it can't be adjusted. Is that the way it is now?

- Is an 18 inch bar too much for this saw? Obviously, the machines will run it, but will an 18 really bog it down?

- Is there a difference between the real dealer saws and the same model numbers sold at a big box store?

Many thanks for any advice you can give on this saw.

Grouse

Get it with an 18" bar. Keep the chain sharp. It will cut anything you throw at it. I bought mine at Lowes 4 years ago. I have cut 300 cords of firewood with it. Knowing what I know now. I would buy from a good local dealer if one is available in your area. Much better Warranty help with a dealer. Mine has run flawlessly so I didn't need the warranty. Lowes will not be getting parts for you in a timely fashion . they will not service your saw either. Buy from a dealer if possible. That's my recommendation.

I've got one it was the first saw I bought ... I've had no issues with it whatsoever I don't use it often I have A 044 I normally use ... I have to agree with moondoggie Try to get it from a dealer cause if it does tear up it won't be anygood trying to search down parts ... For a all around saw I think there great ... First thing I did to mine was put a loop of sthil chain on it

5 gallons use in this class saw works out to about 40 tanks worth a year. I think that's enough to justify getting a better-than-homeowner class saw.

A 545 with 16" bar IMO would be a better choice for your needs. It's noticably more powerful than the 445 and is a more durable design, with adjustable oiler, and with autotune you don't have to worry about misadjusting the carburetor. Even the weight of the powerhead is the same as the 445 (4.9kg).

I'd consider a 545 if the dealer had one, but I'm not really sure if the added cost is worth anything to me. Is the autotune carb really that great?

I don't often need to make carb adjustments, I just want to be sure I CAN make them on the newer saws. Are these carbs still user-adjustable, or did the EPA make the companies make them non-adjustable or require special tools that are only available to dealers?

Grouse

I know this is not what you asked but a 445 is about $350, get a CS590 and be better off for your $... I had a 460 Rancher and would rather have the 590 but that's just me... if I had one saw, only one, it would be the 590 FWIW

I put up about 10 cords per year most years and some years 30 cord if the firewood is available. I chose all "pro" saws for their power to weight ratio and durability. I may have run 5 gallons or more of mix in the heavy cutting years but I have yet to have anything other than general maintenance to perform. (Spark plug and air filter) I highly recommend something in the class of the 346xp. Light and plenty of power for an 18" bar with .325 chain if it is sharp. It is definitely the most enjoyable saw of the 3 I have to run.

I know this is not what you asked but a 445 is about $350, get a CS590 and be better off for your $... I had a 460 Rancher and would rather have the 590 but that's just me... if I had one saw, only one, it would be the 590 FWIW

Current price on the 445 is $320 in this region. I had considered Echo, but never owned one, never used one, and not the kind of purchase I want to experiment with new brands on. All my gear is either husky or Stihl now and it all comes from one dealer who can service and provide parts for both

Just a few bucks more and you can have the 450. Same saw. Same everything except displacement. Both can be had with assisted pull start if that's an issue. The Jonsered version comes with assisted pull starts.

The 450 I believe is heavier than the 445. For some reason Husq website is down, so I can't confirm, but I'm almost sure when I was comparing saws, the 450 is a step up in weight. It's hard for me to see the extra little bit of HP being worth it.

Grouse

Echo 490 fits really well with what your wanting. Light, small, nimble, well built. Will run a 16" bar comfortably. Overall a much better choice than a 445.

Buy from a local dealer instead of a box store.... You'll need them later on for your maintenance needs and god forbid, warranty work and it's nice to start that relationship with a saw purchase.

The 450 was my first saw purchase. I still have it, it's a good running saw. I always thought it was a BIG saw, till I found this place and got myself a 372. I'm pretty sure that the 450 is the same weight, or close enough to the 445 that you wouldn't notice.

If I was you I would find a 350 with a blown top end and put a new oem 346 top end in it for $100 and have a rocking saw for cheap. And still be light weight.

I bought a 435 when those series of saws first came out. It was OK, pretty peppy for the CC's, but it wasn't long after putting it in service troubles started. At first it just acted up on hot summer days when it was being worked really hard. Then it refused to start and stay running after shut down to re-fuel when heat soaked. At the end it acted very strange and wouldn't hold a tune. I ended up selling it for a parts saw.

After seeing recent posts I'm sure at this point that it was leaking around the transfer seals on each side of the cylinder. Never looked into it that hard at that time, and the saw never impressed me enough to spend any time with it.

As it relates to this thread and comments above, if you are looking to throw down nearly $350 for a new saw, absolutely and for sure take a good look at the Echo CS-590. It's twice the saw the 445 ever thought about being. You will not be disappointed in it. I liked mine so much I the CS-600P version. Cut some big Oak with it yesterday, and still can't believe the power those saws have for 60cc, and how many professional features you get in a $350 saw.......Cliff

Everyone bashing the 445 is full of ****! I do use my saws to feed my babies. I know what they will do I can promise you that. You people are talking out of your asses not having a clue guaranteed. I have also seen the 2245 for $259(black and red 445) jonsered.

I see it similar as a few above. The 445 is for me out of the question. Why? If I spend my money I want the best out of it! So for me the following would be included : Echo 490, 590 & Husqvarna 545. For the 545 you could always contact a site sponsor like "tlandrum" what the current prices are on the Jonsered version.

Get it with an 18" bar. Keep the chain sharp. It will cut anything you throw at it. I bought mine at Lowes 4 years ago. I have cut 300 cords of firewood with it. Knowing what I know now. I would buy from a good local dealer if one is available in your area. Much better Warranty help with a dealer. Mine has run flawlessly so I didn't need the warranty. Lowes will not be getting parts for you in a timely fashion . they will not service your saw either. Buy from a dealer if possible. That's my recommendation.
Gotta agree with Moondoggie...I've had a 445 going on four yrs now and has never missed a beat. I run an 18" on mine as well and it can handle anything and then some, what the OP is describing...by a wide margin. Mine has never failed to start, I don't think, in 2/3 pulls.

Plenty of good recommendations as alternatives though for little more coin. If it were me, I'm liking the 545 recommendation or possibly a CS-490, if you got the funds. If not, the 445 will handle what you've got to cut, easily. Check out some used saws in the Trading Forum as well. Things are kinda moving slow over there so a deal can be had.

Little food for thought, if you have a NT near you, use their coupons for a little off the 445 if no dealer nearby. If you keep fresh gas/oil mix in it and a good sharp chain, you ain't gonna need the warranty nohow...warranty might as well be written on the back of a Wendy's napkin.

Take care of the saw and it'll take care of you.

The 450 was my first saw purchase. I still have it, it's a good running saw. I always thought it was a BIG saw, till I found this place and got myself a 372. I'm pretty sure that the 450 is the same weight, or close enough to the 445 that you wouldn't notice.

If I was you I would find a 350 with a blown top end and put a new oem 346 top end in it for $100 and have a rocking saw for cheap. And still be light weight.

Yep, that is probably the cheapest and easiest way to have a real decent smaller saw, especially with the new much lower OEM P/C prices.

I appreciate all the replies and feedback. Certainly learned a lot, I have no idea that Jonsered and Husky were the same company.

I guess I'm still on the fence.

The Husky 445 is 10.8 pounds and the 450 is 11.25, so there is a weight difference and the 450 would bring me over the 11 pound line, so I'm really not wanting to go there. I get that more power is more power, but as I get older, I just want the absolute minimum weight that gets the job done and I feel like all feedback says the 445 will be more than enough get it done for me.

Now what I was not expecting is the number of recommendations for an Echo. In looking at Echo's offerings, I see I can get into a 50 CC Echo saw, either the 490 or 500P, both at 10.6 pounds and still be lighter then Husky's 45 CC saw. Dang! That makes things complicated.

That's a tempting option, but I'm really worried about going off-road with a totally new-to-me brand. I have never used any Echo product. No idea if the're any good. Never been into a dealer that sells Echo, and currently as I said, my brush cutter, 2 chainsaws, leaf blower, and string trimmer ALL come from one dealer that sells and services both Stihl and Husky.

I just don't know if it's worth looking at Echo or if I should just stick with brands I know.

Grouse

Buy what suits your wallet and needs best. If you go the Echo route, they offer a 5-yr homeowner warranty. Also, if you know anyone who is active duty or retired, HD will give 10% off as well. You can pick up another couple chains for it with the savings. I'm not brand loyal by no means, look at my sig, I also have an Echo CS-370. Saw runs like a champ and ain't missed a beat...but neither have any of my other saws.

Back