Husqvarna 550xp vs echo cs490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't get this echo vs husky/stihl thing. It's not all that complicated to me, double the price is never going to get you twice the saw. That extra bit of performance, or slightly lower weight or whatever means a lot to some, and not much to others.

True enough - but the difference between 2.9 and 3.8 hp hardly is "a bit" - it is another world (back to topic).

Rated HP is bs, A Echo CS490 cuts way better than 2.91 hp. I'd bet it cuts faster that a 3.8 hp MS290 Stihl in real life. Steve

There is no point in comparing any saw to the MS290, as the power-band is so bad that it isn't fun at all. It has no power over or under the max hp point. It is a very badly ported saw, which Echo also is "infamous" for.

Rated hp isn't BS, but it is only part of the story - torque over and just under the max hp rpm is very important, but not torque at 6 or 7,000 rpm - that's totally redundant, unless you have messed up badly in the first place.

There is no point in comparing any saw to the MS290, as the power-band is so bad that it isn't fun at all. It has no power over or under the max hp point. It is a very badly ported saw, which Echo also is "infamous" for.

Rated hp isn't BS, but it is only part of the story - torque over and just under the max hp rpm is very important, but not torque at 6 or 7,000 rpm - that's totally redundant, unless you have messed up badly in the first place.

And the MS290 is Stihls number one selling saw due to those inflated HP numbers. Steve

Output (kW / ps)
2.57 / 3.50
Dry weight (kg)
Fuel tank capacity (L)
Fuel consumption at maximum engine power (L/h)
Chain oil tank capacity (L)
Priming pump
No
Ignition system
CDI
Start assist system
Decomp
Chain brake
Inertia
Choke w/ automatic fast idle release
Yes
Chain tensioner
Side
Saw chain pitch (inch)
Guide bar gauge (inch)

Troll 2.57 kw = about 3.46hp , where did you come up with that 2.91 hp. Not that hp numbers mean anything but I could believe 3.46 hp with a clogged up muff. Steve

That may be a first? Shinsaws are solid as they get. Getting a Shindaiwa at an Echo price and warranty is a win win.

I'll say this, the Echo is a stone simple 2-stroke. No Strato, no auto-tune, no proprietary unobtainable BS whatsoever. If I needed an occasional use saw, that'd be on my short list of desirables. Simple is good.

Think about it like this: for the tiny amount of cutting your talking about, the saw will mostly sit unused. Right? When you forget to drain it, and it gets gummed up. What will it cost? How much is a new carb for instance? I'd wager that echo will be much cheaper to "keep it in the race".

THIS^^^ I have been looking for ANY Husky dealer around here that can relash my 562XP.... NO ONE. Out of 7 shops that say they are husky dealers not one can/will do it. I called Husky and they said they would send word out to the dealers and find someone... That was 6 months ago, but hey, I was supposed to get a call back in 3 days, still waiting. I would not buy an AT saw again (from Husky). I really like there saws but the dealers suck and my Echo's always run.

Or just pay good money and have your Husky "ported" with some thing that looks like it was done with 400 grit emery cloth :)
Yeah, or you could have it ported by a great builder for a really good price and have one of the best saw I ever used!
caa0c724db7a72bdb69c004745a81c5f.jpg

Im glad to see that transpired from the whole deal.

We dont have anyone here that knows what AutoTune is let alone how to work on it or I may grab another...

Captain not to open up a new can of worms, but out of those 346's you have which one's the go to?

Gotcha. I'd say you've got some of the most talented guys in the business massaging your saws.

Just thought I'd chime in and try to clear up a few differences between the 490 and 500p. Most of the parts with different numbers will interchange. The top cover is black on the 500 and orange on the 490. Fit is the same so interchangeable. Same with the mufflers 490 is stainless and 500 is painted black. Crankcase and clutch cover differences can be attributed to the chain tensioner setup. Front mounted tensioner on the 500 (tensioner screw hole in the front of the crankcase near the bumper spike) and clutch cover mounted tensioner on the 490. Aluminum front handle on the 500 and plastic on the 490. I don't believe these will interchange and they also mount slightly different to the rear handle so different part number there also. The starters assemblies are the same. There was a change in production dependent on serial numbers and the upgraded parts are the same. The 500 comes with a power match bar and the 490 is a laminated prolite/double guard. Carb, clutch, sprocket, and all engine/internals should be the same. They are pretty much the same saw.

The 500 you described there sounds like the one that is called 500ES over here, and share the 2.1 kW/2.9 hp specs with the 490.

http://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/echo...?contents_type=26&compareItems=3599,3600,8303

Output (kW / ps)
2.57 / 3.50
Dry weight (kg)
Fuel tank capacity (L)

Troll 2.57 kw = about 3.46hp , where did you come up with that 2.91 hp. Not that hp numbers mean anything but I could believe 3.46 hp with a clogged up muff. Steve

The 2.57 kW/3.5 hp specs are for the 501SX, not the 490 or 500ES. Those both are rated at 2.14 kW/2.91 hp

Some of you guys make me laugh. Most guy's who heat with wood are budget minded and cost is a real factor and important.
Two things , The way some of you talk about hp is silly. if you go to a drag racing track and just start listening to the conversations you will quickly find out there is a lot more to going down the track fast then just hp. They will be talking or even arguing over traction, suspension, gear ratios, ect.....
If you have a your saw built by a saw builder they can adjust the build some to meet your needs, what kind of wood, what size of wood, what size of bar.
Terms like huskies "light touch" or "leaning on it" are here for a reason. They apply to your saws characteristics and power delivery.
To discuss specs without putting the saws side by side in the intended wood you plan to cut is almost a complete waist of time.
If you find a good dealer they will let you run the saws and if you want to get even more particular you can take some wood that you intend to be cutting.
Some Saw manufacturer try and build saws that are best for their intended use. Some saws are built to tailor a bit more to the logger, some to the firewood guys and some to the home owner that may use his saw 6 times a year.
Some people say hay this is an arborist saw so it must be great for me. However a top handle say is not really a great choice for a first time saw owner that realistically would be better served with a small home owner rear handle saw.
Have fun with your argument I find it funny and entertaining but anyone looking for help should really just ignore half of you.

Chevyforlife, I think you should find either a GTG in your area or find a couple members on here in your area to go out cutting with. I agree with what CoreyB said above and think it's hard to assess your needs/wants and that it's a joke all the back and forth. Guys your popularity ratings are not directly proportionate to the amount of post you have made. Even though you are all correct in many areas pride in the particular areas you are good in or have much knowledge in clouds your thinking in other areas(I'm guilty also and thus qualified to make this assessment please insert the guy poking the other one in the eye here Luke 6:41-42).
I've looked at some of your past post, and it sounds like you would benefit greatly from getting together with some other guys and learning some technics. A sharp chain on your ms170 or the echo you previously sold will have no problem with cutting the wood you are cutting(better than a 550xp with a dull chain). CoreyB gave you some great advice in regards to your 170 and getting it going as well. If you just want to upgrade to have a new toy most everyone on here can relate as the 3-5 saw plan is commonly recommended on AS.
I think a used Husky 450 for 150-200 or cheaper would exceed your needs, as it looks like you get around on craigslist and have basic knowledge of how to get a good deal:). In comparison to what you have it will rip at 3.2 (advertised hp:reading: who knows what the torque specs are but it pulls nice in wood under 12":chainsaw: lol). With a 16" bar in the hands of someone who does not operate a saw on a normal basis they wouldn't even notice if I switched it out with a 346xp or a 353. It looks the same, feels very similar and with a sharp chain will cut very close for an occasional user. Lets be real here and not flame me for saying this guys. I have owned a 346ne and loved it, and now have the 550xp, 353, and a 450. I fill them all up before I go out and cut firewood and they all get used.
The 550 kicks butt, but I hate to scratch it up when the others cut pretty much the same and don't loose a bit of value unless I burn one of them up. At the end of a day of cutting I wouldn't save more than 15min in all the cutting and when you look at the amount of cutting you do that would be more time saved than you would probably save in 5yrs. A $150-200 saw seems to be the right one. Low initial cost and it will cost nothing to own until you feel the "need" to upgrade(these saws take a big hit once used and then keep there value for a long time). If you just want a little screamer(or like stihls better) then get a deal like the ms261c Brad just posted for 400+ shipping.
If you can't control the CAD and just "need" a bigger saw I have a nice ms441c-m, just pm me. Can't believe I'm the first one in 8 pages to mention a 70cc+ saw.
Hope this is helpful and also respectful to all the arguing parties who have more knowledge and experience in a small portion of their brain than I have in my whole body/ all my yrs.
:barbecue:

I find it funny how, anytime someone says a good word about Echo, the elitist saw snobs show up to discredit such talk. If you do a lot of reading on this site and others, you will see this pattern. It's almost like Echo's price vs. performance is a threat to the big boys. Even @Andyshine77 (590 vs. 361 vid) was skeptical of the 590/600/620 by reading some of his past posts (here & other sites) before he bought his 590. His opinion sure changed afterwords.

It's also funny how guys who own Echo's are quick to say good things about not only their Echo's, but other saws as well. Not so the other way around. Kind of reminds me of the way our Country works right now. A certain crowd preaches tolerance yet they are the most intolerant.

Latest posts

Back