Husqvarna 61 Upgrade - Parts for an aussie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace89

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post so I'll give a quick intro:
Found this site doing some research on a chainsaw I recently acquired fairly cheaply, while looking for upgrade options (more on that below).

My main hobby is woodworking mainly furniture making focusing on mostly green woodworking these days. Handcarved bowl, spoons and starting to dabble with chairmaking. So having a functional chainsaw handy is something that'll save me a large amount of time. A chainsaw will be one of the few power tools I own as I normally prefer to just work with hand tools. Camping is another hobby that I enjoy so a chainsaw will make firewood collection far easier.

Onto the chainsaw, it's a husky 61 orange top and based off the serial number I'm lead to believe it's a 1994 model. As it stands it's currently in running order, however, the chain brake band has snapped. While cleaning the saw up I took the time to have a look inside the compression cylinder and found some scoring and a busted gasket between the carb and cylinder. This leads me to the idea that it will be a good time to rebuilt the top half of the motor (I've checked the bottom end and it's all good).

While searching around here I've found out that the top end of a 272 will also fit my 61, and given that mine is a later model I won't have to go through all the issue with the intake manifold. I'd really like to give this upgrade a shot, but I'm having issues finding a supplier that has the parts and will ship to Australia. I'd really like to get my hands on quality parts and listings on auction sites have me worried considering how cheap they are. I'd prefer to avoid cheaper Chinese options that people sometimes have issues with. From what I can see aftermarket products would be preferred but I'm not sure which brands are of good quality.

Can anyone help me with a known reliable supplier that is in Australia or can ship to me without it costing a heap in shipping?

Any help or tips would be awesome!

If I get around to doing this I'll have to create a rebuild thread with a heap of photos.

Even if an Ebay ad says "may not ship to Australia" when you look at them (from an Australian ip address), that is a "default" text that pops up unless the seller has specified that he will send to Australia - so you have to ask before placing an order.

OEM Husky top ends often are reasonably priced in the US, and I agree with you about avoiding the really cheap Chinese stuff. A fairly "safe" am brand is Meteor (Italian).

Thanks for the responses!

I wasn't aware of that little trick so thanks SawTroll.

Thanks for the links Rio95 I'll be sure to have a look now. Sounds like OEM or Meteor is the way to go!

Jace

Back