Husqvarna crank... forged? cast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nub

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm redoing my dad's 162se that has a broken case. I ordered a used case for a donor. I am not sure of the model of the donor as the tag is really beat up. The case that I received had the crank and rod in it and I noticed they look different than the 162's rod and crank.

My question is whats the difference between the two (is one cast the other forged), and which would be the better candidate for the rebuild. I am splitting the cases so ease of using whats in the donor is not a factor.

Stock 162se

Donor's crank and rod

On a side note, I was told that a mechanic could tell which saw was run on regular and premium fuel. As so I have always used premium in my two strokes, my dad however will not, and guess what? The super clean bottom end in the photo's above belongs to my dad who has been running regular gas in since it was new (1980 I believe). Any good opinions on that subject.

Saws run perfectly fine on 87-89 octane, even those that are ported with raised compression. Higher octane isn't beneficial until compression is getting somewhere north of 220psi, but what you are seeing is probably more related to oil ratio and state of tune.

I only run premium because it has no ethanol in it, otherwise I would just run regular. Waste of money otherwise, as nmurph said, without the compression here is no need, it's just harder to burn.

the only difference in the cranks is your 162 will have a course thread clutch. the donor crank is that of a 266 and could have either depending on the year. most likely fine thread though. if the bearings are tight on the donor case just swap everything over to that case as it all interchanges. both cranks are forged.

Latest posts

Back