Huztl MS 440 Initial Impressions, and Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting it togeather, i have never seen or operated a ms 440 before so figuring out where everything goes is a little challenging, the ipl helps a lot.

Keep em coming. It's nice to watch someone build a saw for the first time.

You'll find it much easier to install the intake boot on the cylinder first, then just pull it though the bulkhead.

it would be done but they gave me the wrong piston pin clips, so i ordered some more and they should be here Monday. i am going to test squish and test fit tomorrow.

As do I, I can't compare it to a stock ms 440 recoil because I don't own one, however I own a ms 441 which I will use as a comparison in a few days.

I'd appreciate knowing how the Huztl recoil is compared to stock. Thanks.
performance wise its a mixed bag maybe, initial price?? No contest. Question that I started to try and answer two years ago is what is the difference over time.....since stockers can last 10-15 years, I have 12 more to go before really having a good answer. For those who kill things by crash and crush? The answer is already beginning to reveal itself....at least on the three series I've dealt with, 372, 460 and 660's. And now a stocker 038 & kit 038.

My 660 saw is as tuff as a real one with 100$ OEM parts. I have no way of knowing how durable it would be if it spent it's life in the forest. If you are a logger let us know.

On parts durability. I had a series of problems I could not distinguish. So I doubted the coil. I bought one of those nice Briggs and Stratton coil testers and had a white spark on one aftermarket and a blue spark on the other aftermarket. I chose to use the blue believing it was hotter. Both equal in intensity. Not very scientific but it made sense to me.

Now those coils were $10 each. An OEM is 75$ or more. So I have a total of 3 now. My investment is 30$. I may never use the third. But I wanted one for testing and it's blue too. All 3 aftermarket work.

Update, I test fitted the piston and cylinder because I am still waiting on retaining clips for piston pin. I found with no base gasket the squish to be .064, that is massive and would be around .087 with base gasket. I like running base gaskets because they are there for a reason. I could have just left it and it probably would have run fine, i think. But i decided to go the extra mile and i found a local machine shop that decked the cylinder for me by .059 so with the gasket now i have a squish number of .033, which still isn't great but i am not going to overkill with this first cylinder. In a few weeks i am going to get another cylinder and port it and get the squish to .022 and see the difference. Best of all i was in and out of the machine shop in 20 min and the guy was very happy to help. He said he could also machine pop up pistons for only 20$ if i desire, It only cost me 20$ to deck the cylinder, I was thrilled on that.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2722.JPG
    IMG_2722.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Do you think since I dropped the cyclinder .060 that I need to do anything to the intake or exhaust for it to run similar to stock, other than the bump in compression I really don't want any difference.... yet. That comes later

Do you think since I dropped the cyclinder .060 that I need to do anything to the intake or exhaust for it to run similar to stock, other than the bump in compression I really don't want any difference.... yet. That comes later
You probably delayed your exhaust timing by about 5 degrees.

Can you elaborate on the cylinder timing a bit, I don't fool to much with that yet and am still trying to understand, did delaying it make it run worse? Thanks any info is helpful. I know there are other threads but just a few words is all I need at this point. Thanks

You are making changes that affect it. Normally you measure your ports and determine how to get where you need to be. I am not advanced enough to offer you more than that.

You probably delayed your exhaust timing by about 5 degrees.
I redid my math it only about 2.5 degree delay on exhaust and advance on intake. I have no idea it that will affect performance. I doubt that little will.

That is what I was thinking. That little bit shouldn't do to much. Either way I am gonna run it at see how she does. Worst case I am out 26$

Latest posts

Back