i kinda want a mod saw. I got this craftsman for free would it be worth while?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
267153d1355266248-1-6-jpg

:bang: :msp_biggrin::msp_thumbsup:

Take a good look at the oiler "gears".
Saw that's been run that packed up in a cloud of dust
will likely have grime packed in the oiler and the pinion
(on the plunger shaft) takes a beating for it.
If you see *any* wear on the teeth, it'll quit soon.
from the looks of the pics ,I'd bet the oiler section is stuffed up nicely.

Yeah, they sure are fun to work on. Your Lucky your wife lets you work on it in the house. I get to work on my stuff in the house too, but its down stairs in my shop. Down stairs is where the wood stove is, so its usually 90 degrees down there to make 75 upstairs. Yeah I know, 75??? She is a cold blooded woman and likes it HOT. So while Im tinkering in the shop, Im sweating my ballz off. I just got a similar designed clamshell going last night. Very rewarding the first time they start up. Oh yeah and plus one on wishing I had a parts washer at home, and I too wish I had a second dish washer for saw parts. Im gonna have to look at "throw out day" for a dishwasher. Ill just use the bottom rack, and throw all my plastics in there. Good Luck with your Poulan/Craftsman.:msp_thumbup:

Perfect way to start. I played with old Poulans and crafstman. First port job on 100$ reconditioned shipped to my door. Next step is find junked pro saws and clean up some aftermarket cylinders. My wife asks "why?".......I don't have an answer:dunno: Many threads here and people will answer questions in a pm.

I got it tore apart i mite as well put new crap in it. The more i look at the more i think this will not last.
I am the kinde of person that if i am going to do something i am going to do it as i see rite. To justify this i just remember all times i spent more for less. If this thing works for a year i will be entertained. Plus i found a cheeper site and its only $78.00 that makes it better:rock:

I use the 'Dinner and a Movie' rule of thumb. I can spend the equivalent on a chainsaw for entertainment and not be out much.:D

I run a 14" w/3/8" LP on my Craftsman/Poulan Frankensaw.

Last edited:
Got the new piston and cylinder put together. Assembled the saw when the weather warms up above minis anything I will try to run it. The bar and chain is shot I’m thinking 18 will be ok on this. Its running a .325 set up, to bad I got a bunch of 3/8 lp but I guess the .325 is good?
Looks good! If you put a drive sprocket from a Wild Thing on it you can run Lo Pro. If you want to get a bar & chain locally you can easily find 20" 0.325 setups or 18" Lo Pro combos. You can get 18" 0.325 combos on line from site sponsors, but they'll be harder to find in stores.

I found mine pulled a 20" with Oregon 20BPX really well after a muffler mod, and even better with mild porting too. Are you sure the bar is shot?

It will work but it has a hook right before the sprocket about a 1/8 inch deep? And a couple wide spots here and there. The only one worse I ever saw, was the one I had that the sprocket came out? Not sure why that happened it was a Ryobi bar; oh yea that’s probably why. Lol

Looks good! If you put a drive sprocket from a Wild Thing on it you can run Lo Pro. If you want to get a bar & chain locally you can easily find 20" 0.325 setups or 18" Lo Pro combos. You can get 18" 0.325 combos on line from site sponsors, but they'll be harder to find in stores.

I found mine pulled a 20" with Oregon 20BPX really well after a muffler mod, and even better with mild porting too. Are you sure the bar is shot?

That thing sounds so nice with a 1/2 tube to breath. well first chainsaw i ever rebuilt and it runs, rather nicely to. needs a new chain i am going try taht 20BPX or maybe some wodland pro

View attachment 277748

That thing sounds so nice with a 1/2 tube to breath. well first chainsaw i ever rebuilt and it runs, rather nicely to. needs a new chain i am going try taht 20BPX or maybe some wodland pro

View attachment 277748
Cool!. I still really like my 2775, the thing really works well, and it's nice and light. Oh, and the easiest thing to do as far as bar and chain is to pick up a 20" 0.325 combo locally - they should be available in many stores.

Last edited:
You guys are nuts, Id put a 14 inch bar on that saw. But thats just me. BTW congrats, feels great when you get a engine running that came to you not running. Looking good! ;)

You guys are nuts, Id put a 14 inch bar on that saw. But thats just me. BTW congrats, feels great when you get a engine running that came to you not running. Looking good! ;)
Yeah, I know that's the conventional wisdom, but you'd be amazed how my 46cc plastic Poulan pulls that bar and throws chips. I like it for felling because it is fast and light, and it is rare I need a bar longer than 20" for the stuff I drop around here.

With a mild port job, timing advance and muffler mod the saw is really pretty loud, and has an exhaust note that is ..... agitating I guess. It gets up on the revs and just pulls. I was doing quite a lot of cutting with it up in the woods one day this fall, and when I came down to the house my wife asked me why my saw seemed so loud. I just said I didn't really know......:dunno:

But a 20" bar really does change the feel of the saw so it depends on what you want it for. The powerhead on my 2775 is not any larger or heavier than some of my other saws but with the 20" bar it feels bigger. Alternatively if I put a 16" bar on it then it would feel very much like my 142 or my Mac RedMax clone - or the Earthquake for that matter - really nice limbing/small stuff saws.

Latest posts

Back