I know I'm going to be dogfood for this but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can almost see a point to a newbie section, until you get to a guy like supercabs who wasn't even close to being a newbie, back when he was a newbie.

It doesn't seem very hospitable to quarantine the newbies and not let them come out to play.
A "Newbie Questions" forum would be ok. I wouldn't mind to help monitor it and answer questions I know or put them in touch with the members who would know.

Mike

Something like this would so help clean up the forum.

maybe we should have a spot for build threads, mechanical help, and other

Theirs a lot of chainsaw threads that have nothing to do with a saw problem, not a bad thing but if there was a spot just for mechanical help people could get more help so there thread doesn't get buried in an hour.

my .02

Newb here

Been running a saw since age 12. Started with a Mac-10, manual oiler and blue at that. Then went to a Homelite 955, we cut 100 cords a year, joined the Navy at age 20. Twenty seven years later I find myself here, what a great site! just bought a saw, 036pro for $250..great find and I got info from asking you SAW GUYS! AND using the search button. What a shame it would be to exclude someone because they were new. Do any of you think you have learned everything there is to know and that nothing can be learned from a Newb? I do not claim to know anything about rebuilding a saw, I do know that I have something to share that could help you someday. I may not be able to deliver that message if I'm limited by my post count. Together we can do anything, thank you for sharing.

I always hate pointing fingers at ":newbie:", hell I still ask questions that some think are stupid. I think that's why most of came here to begin with, to ask a "stupid" question...

I would also help if a new section was opened up.

:cheers:
Mike

Been running a saw since age 12. Started with a Mac-10, manual oiler and blue at that. Then went to a Homelite 955, we cut 100 cords a year, joined the Navy at age 20. Twenty seven years later I find myself here, what a great site! just bought a saw, 036pro for $250..great find and I got info from asking you SAW GUYS! AND using the search button. What a shame it would be to exclude someone because they were new. Do any of you think you have learned everything there is to know and that nothing can be learned from a Newb? I do not claim to know anything about rebuilding a saw, I do know that I have something to share that could help you someday. I may not be able to deliver that message if I'm limited by my post count. Together we can do anything, thank you for sharing.

Maybe a newb spot to post questions about oil or something since its a daily occurrence. But i don't think anyone should be shunned for being new.

I can almost see a point to a newbie section, until you get to a guy like supercabs who wasn't even close to being a newbie, back when he was a newbie.

It doesn't seem very hospitable to quarantine the newbies and not let them come out to play.
A "Newbie Questions" forum would be ok. I wouldn't mind to help monitor it and answer questions I know or put them in touch with the members who would know.

Mike

I see your point Mike. I just think it would help weed out some of the spam, and guys that only want to get some quick info, than leave never to return to the site again.

Obviously not all newbies are created equal.lol:cheers:

BZZZZT! Wrong Answer

I think there should be a newbie or a homeowner section, and newbies should be relegated to that section until they have 25 or more posts. That way the "what saw questions" don't make it into the main chainsaw forum as often.

I've been lurking here for quite a while, read the new posts almost every day, and have learned a bunch from all of you guys. I have many more saws now compared to when I started lurking - I suffer from CAD. I have rebuilt many many carbs for friends, and saved many saws from the scrap heap. Have even saved a few lean-siezed saws through re-building. All of this from information gleaned from here. Just because I don't post in big bunches and run up my totals with "me too" and "I agree" posts doesn't make me a newbie IMO. Relegating low post count members to a "Newbie" forum is not cool at all.

Last edited:
Here, here. I think we're already split up into individual threads. Seems to me no one has to read anything they don't want to just the way it is. Ok, ok, so I admit I don't really even know how the "friends" thing works and I'm scared of change.

I'm a BIG fan of the KISS principle.

+1 But I think if people used the PM when things started to get off topic it would clean things up a bunch:cheers:

Better idea

I'm just talking about posting not viewing. A newbie would still have full access to view the forum.:cheers:

I like this better, for even us lurkers get tired of the same questions over and over... but how would one graduate? By having to ask questions of the rest of the newbies in the newbie forum until the magic number is reached? What if I want to know more about a particular bar grinding set-up? Which newbie is going to help me with that?

BTW, what oil should I use?

Last edited:
If it looks "stupid" don't click it.

:monkey:

And don't forget - there's a fair chance you were "stupid" once.

GASoline71 & Kin, obviously the thread has validity and obviously many would like to see it split. I let it sit for days with one response in the other section. It already has 30+ responses here, so you tell me if linking it here was the right thing to do? Is it you I should have asked for approval to post first or is that somebody else?

Sparklies and little cubes obviously don't make the man. But what do I know...

Insert all your little popcorn icons hereafter...ready...go...

I like this place just the way it is for the most part. im thinking there should have a know it all forum for some around here though. I dont think there should be a newbie form because it would be like treating grown people like there babies. I think there should be less threads on do ya dropstart your saw or not and people cring about wearing chaps. There are some real good people on hear and some people that wouldnt pass the bs meter. these people bother me more than the newbies questions.

Last edited:
I like this better, for even us lurkers get tired of the same questions over and over... but how would one graduate? By having to ask questions of the rest of the newbies in the newbie forum until the magic number is reached? What if I want to know more about a particular bar grinding set-up? Which newbie is going to help me with that?

BTW, what oil should I use?

Klotz.lol

Many forums are setup this way, and I think it would just help keep some of the clutter down. It's not going to happen, but if it did I'd answer as many legitimate questions as I could.:cheers:

Saw issues or problems don't descriminate by size. Neither does the many ways to address those problems. 90cc or 35cc most resoulutions are common to all saws. I do think we need less off topic posts for example;
beer, babes automobiles and other nonsense. Don't get me wrong I love them all but in the right place and time.
Bob

GASoline71 & Kin, obviously the thread has validity and obviously many would like to see it split. I let it sit for days with one response in the other section. It already has 30+ responses here, so you tell me if linking it here was the right thing to do? Is it you I should have asked for approval to post first or is that somebody else?

Sparklies and little cubes obviously don't make the man. But what do I know...

Insert all your little popcorn icons hereafter...ready...go...

Kup, which section would muffler mod questions go in? What about 2 stroke theory, or bar oil, or plug problems, or 2 stroke mix ratios, or chain filing, or bar choices, or cleaning plastic, or removing sap, or dawg size, or file choice, or chain discussions, or cookie cutting, or making curly fries, or saw cases, or ways to carry your saw on your vehicle, what about carb tuning or replacing a venturi and probably another thousand things...........do you propose all those to get broken down into cc size for posting? Then what happens when you do a search, will the search function be split by cc's, what happens if people post in the wrong cc forum?

I don't think splitting by cc's is workable, practical or even smart. I hear you on the clutter, but I think you should endeavor to persevere a little more rather than worry about changing it. I think ultimately you would end up with more to read with that split, and I think the overwhelming majority would be reading both anyway. Just my .02 but I do see your point. If everybody made a point to police up the OT stuff it would be much less cluttered.
But don't hold your breath waiting on that! :)

Last edited:
Kup, which section would muffler mod questions go in? What about 2 stroke theory, or bar oil, or plug problems, or 2 stroke mix ratios, or chain filing, or bar choices, or cleaning plastic, or removing sap, or dawg size, or file choice, or chain discussions, or cookie cutting, or making curly fries, or saw cases, or ways to carry your saw on your vehicle, what about carb tuning or replacing a venturi and probably another thousand things...........do you propose all those to get broken down into cc size for posting? Then what happens when you do a search, will the search function be split by cc's, what happens if people post in the wrong cc forum?

I don't think splitting by cc's is workable, practical or even smart. I hear you on the clutter, but I think you should endeavor to persevere a little more rather than worry about changing it. I think ultimately you would end up with more to read with that split, and I think the overwhelming majority would be reading both anyway. Just my .02 but I do see your point. If everybody made a point to police up the OT stuff it would be much less cluttered.
But don't hold your breath waiting on that! :)

+1. I'd be reading twice as much material.

It might sound like a good idea, but if you're a moderator it's a different story. As much traffic as the this site has it's gotta be a pain to check all the threads we already have. I don't see it happening and if you was a moderator you wouldn't want it either. You have to remember all we do is come here to post and if something is not interesting to us we don't read it and move on.

But as a moderator you have to go through EVERY thread and post regardless if you like it.. Just don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back