I know..old topic but want input...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all. Long time no post.

My question or should I say survey has to do with saddles. I recently purchased a new tribe saddle. All is well but I HATE stepping into the leg part (for a lack of a better term). That part of the saddle is fixed except for adjusting size. It feels like a battle to put on/take off. :bang:

I know that there are alot of new saddles out there. Does anyone know of one that is easier?

Thanks........

Production climbers I know use Petzl climbing harness. Its not comfortable at all but hey, they hardly ever sit it in. But they can't properly trim trees without spikeing them all over either. Thats where us C.A.'s differ. We care for trees and that means taking time and hanging out. Ive been with a master climbing harness for 8 years and its been ripped by 10 foot logs sticking to my saw but its still just as good as the day I bought it, with a few less stitches, lol I'll load pics of the damage incurred whilst being pulled 40 foot out of the sky.

But they can't properly trim trees without spikeing them all over either. Thats where us C.A.'s differ. We care for trees and that means taking time and hanging out.

Thanks for the relpy. I do not quite understand some of it though. I am not a recreational climber. I know New Tribe has that rep but makes an arborist work saddle. That is the one I have and do not like.

I am currently climbing on the master II the leg straps on it realease easily so all you have to do is slide the belt up and tighten it and then just do up the leg straps. It's a semi quick release hook up set up. You might look into it.

I believe its a $25 option to have quick buckles installed on the ness when it was made.

The Bfly 2 is another great choice, offering alot more ROM but the Ness is more comfy for me.

I never had any trouble putting the saddle on, took some extra care when I put the spikes on but generally it took me under 30 seconds to get the saddle on and screwed together.

I have the Ness and also don't like the step in straps, but other than that, I like the saddle. I tried the B'fly, D'fly, and Ness at the TCI and selected the Ness as the one that was the most comfortable for me. I do see that they now offer buckles for the leg straps. I was thinking of taking the leg strap buckles off one of my old saddles and sewing them on the Ness.

Im in the market for a new saddle as well, Curently Im riding a Weaver floating D Wideback saddle which is great!!! I have heard lots of positive feedback from people that ride a Ness. Im looking into that one, but from what I can invision the New Tribe isnt condusive to a split tail configuration. I love the floating D on my Weaver, I just wish it were a few pounds lighter. With all contemplation aside I think Im gonna invest in a Buckingham Pro Versital. The Ness is light and quite comfy, but I love the floating D to add alot more manuverability. Sure the Ness is $100 cheaper,I just like the floating D option. New Tribe needs to come up with a floating D saddle like the Versatile, or Traverse.

Kenn

I love my Austria Duo but it also has the step-in leg straps. I got used to it but I still get uncomfortable when people are watching me try to put it on. I also tried several at the TCIA show in Baltimore a couple years ago and was impressed by the comfort. I'm on my second now, my first one wore out in just under a year. They are expensive and don't last a long time but they are very comfortable.

I don't like leg straps either; that's why I have a butt strap saddle. Plenty comfy enuf for my ~20 hrs/week climbing.

The ness is great for split tails with a paw. I have said to alot of people that I wish someone would mix a ness with a Bfly2, I would pay mondo money for one!

Leaningovercuttingsmalllimb.jpg

Yea...stepping in the saddle leg straps is no good for me anymore. The problem is I have big feet and a low back problem. Stepping out is like taking off a wet bathing suit. It is very light and comfortable though.

Lumberjack said:
The ness is great for split tails with a paw. I have said to alot of people that I wish someone would mix a ness with a Bfly2, I would pay mondo money for one!

how much are you willing to pay? as long as you sign the liability waiver, i'll make it for you.

i made this saddle by combining a butterfly and a buckingham pinnacle. http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7378&d=1064886177

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7377&d=1064885934

I don't know. Looks hard. The new tribe is soft. I really don't know what I am saying:) I never wore it so I should not talk ill of that saddle. But I noticed the Variobelt by Petzel looks like the one for me.

Started on a Weaver buttstrap also, tried a Master II but could not get it comfortable, Tom D And JPS suggested a Blair ultra lite that has leg straps with quick connects that stay connected and adjusted. Has a wide back with a velcro pad and buckle front that stays on and tight without dropping to the floor when you hang a 044 on it. I am happy with it.

kf_tree said:
how much are you willing to pay? as long as you sign the liability waiver, i'll make it for you.

i made this saddle by combining a butterfly and a buckingham pinnacle.

I want a Bfly2 TIP with ness's pass throughs and ness comfort along with a sliding D and quick buckles all around.

KF-
Do you use that carabiner as a spreader snap?
I love my Pinnacle but want to ditch the spreader. Mine doesn't have those loops behind the D-rings. Did you add those?

Heres the new tribe quick release leg straps.....

quick.jpg

you'd still have to step into it, but it wouldnt be quite the balancing act.

Back