I loaned a saw to...............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People know I don't loan out my stuff. The only people I would loan a saw to are

on here.....nuff said.

I come with the saw. :)

I have a friend who bought a toy homelite 23av from me.
This fall he bought 5 cords in 15 foot lengths. He thought he was buying cut wood until the truck showed up.
So he cut on it with his little saw until the clutch wouldn't go no mo'.
I brought a poulan 2175 over to his house that I revived from a curb sale.
I showed him how to cut properly with it and keep the revs up where the saw had its' power and the clutch could survive.
I also brought my 026 and 031av for my own use.

I was so proud of my buddy. He kept the little poulan sharpened and oiled; he kept the revs high. He kept pace with me when I cut the 18" and he was cutting smaller stuff. He gave me 30 bucks for the poulan (which he loved compared to his 23av) and I can go get a load of red oak when I need it.

I did let him try the 031, but only for a supervised round.
-br

I recently lent out an old 026 to a guy, and he has had saws a long time, but I have his 028 WB in my shop for service, so I kind of had to lend him a saw. He said it ran fine, so probably OK. My neighbor came and got my old Echo 25 years ago and used it to cut out roots in his fencepost holes. He has his own post hole digger now, an MS390. I do not like people to even see my saw collection, let alone borrow one. I will be reducing my saw holdings, and will have a designated loaner, likely an 026.

I do not think there can or should be an across the board policy on this. I feel it requires common sense. There are people I would not lend a saw out to. These are people that have little to no experience running a saw or are just so careless and clumsy that it would be irresponsible on my part to lend them a saw. These kind of people ONLY get my saw with an operator.
The last person I loaned a saw to had more experience with a saw than I ever will. He heated exclusivley with wood for probably as long as I've been converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. After moving to the 'burbs years ago, he got rid of his saw(s) as he had no use for them. A while back he bought a small piece of land (a retirement property) a few hours from where we are and needed a saw for a weekend. I gave him my trusty 026 with 2 sharp chains, a file, some ppe and most importantly. MY MIX. All I asked him to do was just make sure he only used my mix and not try to save me some money by going out and buying and mixing his own. The saw came back in as good a shape as it left. I wouldn't think twice about lending it to him again.

BTW Mike, you might as well take the Chevy too. That 361 will cut more wood than your truck'll be able to haul:buttkick::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Take the Chevy hell I'd like to get done before New Years!!!
I'd lose all the time I made using the 361, by working on that junk long enough to get home.
I'd have to take my Dodge to haul your Chevy full of wood and the 361 too!!!
But that's ok because it will certainly do it..............twice!

I made this mistake just one time. The neighbor wanted to cut down a spruce in his yard for the elementary school Christmas tree. It was about 10 feet high and had about a 4" to 6" trunk at the ground. He put me on the spot. What could go wrong with just one small cut, so I buckled under and let him take my good saw at the time (the only saw I had at the time 15 years ago). It came back with a trashed chain. Not only did he want the tree gone he wanted the stump gone also. It was a $20 lesson at the time.

I don't even have a loaner saw. My saws go nowhere that I am not there also. I love to cut. I love to cut wood, far more than I can ever use. The best part is that I can cut and run leaving the mess for them to clean up. Most are very grateful for my help. I can think of only one person that I would feel comfortable letting him borrow any of my saws and he has almost as many saws as I do, maybe that is why I am comfortable about it.

For those that need to borrow a chainsaw, two words "Home Despot". They have liability insurance to cover themselves from all parties involved.

All of us that collect saws have either loaned saws or been asked to.
How did that turn out? I've decided it's much better on the nerves if you just give them one instead and forget about it. To sell one to a friend can be troublesome also or don't you fellas agree?
Igpoe :bang:

Never ever loan a saw out!

I loaned a brand new Homelite xl12-ao to a buddy that wasnt as smart as he thought he was and the guy smoked the engine with lawnmower gas never again.

I would give them some free advice but never give them a saw either. :)

Kansas

Back