I need help deciding on what saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxeye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking here for some tme and have read post after post on certain saws, and its only made matters worse on my decision making. I currently have a Husky 272XP which is just too much saw for me anymore since I have a messed up left arm and elbow. I am looking for a lighter saw and a saw that should last. I am not a pro cutter by any means but I do use a chain saw hard, and long when I use one. I cut mainly trees blown over by hurricanes and storms, and trees for firewood which consists mainly of oaks, ash and hickory.......usually up to 20" or so max diam with an occasional 24-30" tree. I often cut pines with diam of approx 30-36". So for the smaller 20" or less trees and then cutting and delimbing them for firewood is what I am looking for a new saw for.

My choices so far are Stihls 260, 280 and 270 models. Probbaly go with a 16" bar, or wuold I be better off with an 18"...I figure 16 as it should do fine for limbing and cuttin gup thr tree itself once onthe gorund. I plan on usuing the Husky 272 to fell bigger trees and for where I need more power or bar length.

Around this part Stihl has many more dealers than Husky and while I like my 272 I just have not found a Husky that I really like for some reason or other.

I have had many many saws over the years, starting with Homelite ZIP and WIZ models.......currently have a non runing 028 Super in the shed which has been a pain since day one as it was always hard to get started and now it just does notrun at all.....but it has low low hours on it, so it may be worthwhile to get that saw up and running but it does seem quite a bit heavy as compared to new Stihls.....

Any suggestions appreciated.

You have made the cardinal-sin around here, asking for an opinion. Be prepared! Now, out of the 3 saws you offered up, myself would lean toward the MS280 with a 18" bar.

No Dolmar or Jonsered dealers anywhere close so those brands are out.

The MS280 has me a bit paranoid and gun shy with the new fang dangled carb / electronic control etc......

Husky dealers here push same exact saws that big box stores carry......makes one wonder why? Pulpwooders here rarely use sawas anymore like they used to, and all you see is a cheap saw thrown in the trucks so its not a good guide on brand or models to go by. My how times have changed.......I knew I should have kept my old Poulin 25 or Stihl 015 that thought it was an 066

Ms260 or the 5100.

You just can't beat a 260. It's been around for years.

The 5100 screams but it's not near as popular.

Oh yeah, a 361 would be nice.

Husky NE346

Ms260 or the 5100.

You just can't beat a 260. It's been around for years.

The 5100 screams but it's not near as popular.

Oh yeah, a 361 would be nice.

Yes you CAN beat a 260 - and yes it's been around a LONG time!
Have you cosidered the NE 346 XP???

Al :clap: :clap: :clap:

Get the 260 great saw. I also like the 280 and have had one for three years.

The 260 is a stout dependable as the sun, saw.

I don't have any experience with a 280, but if it is like the old 028 wood bosses, it will be around for quite a while.

Guess so for now!?!

Naw, you are just the only guy who thinks the 346 is worth a ****.:p :D

The way it sounds - FOXEYE would have a hard time getting a NE346XP anyway with the Husky dealers in his area not stocking much on the way of pro saws. Too bad though - as with his bumb left arm he'd really appreciate the Husky's excellent anti-vibe!!!! Not to mention the blinding speed!!!

(it was worth a shot - after all, I'm fighting this battle by myself):) :) :)

Last edited:
Good post!!

The way it sounds - FOXEYE would have a hard time getting a NE346XP anyway with the Husky dealers in his area not stocking much on the way of pro saws. Too bad though - as with his bumb left arm he'd really appreciate the Husky's excellent anti-vibe!!!! Not to mention the blinding speed!!!

(it was worth a shot - after all, I'm fighting this battle by myself):) :) :)

I will lay off until you get back up, LOL.:greenchainsaw:

Booker?

Woodie?

Back