I need opinions on 372 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67chevelle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a 372 a few months back and absolutly love it.Ihave heard a lot of guys getting a little more power with a muffler mod.I dont know much about two strokes,but I need to start getting some wood cut for the winter and I would really like to go out and outcut my buddies ms 460.So husky guys, help me out,should I send the muffler out to a pro,or do it myself.How much would it cost?I also dont want to shorten the life of the saw.Is this possible?What do I do to set The carb after the mod?Any help or names of people that I could send it to would be highly appreciated. Thanks again-Kory

My 372 arrived yesterday, and got a little try out this morning cutting 12" donuts on Pinon. After viewing all the old threads on muffler mods, I've decided to buy another muffler, and copy Joker's mods. The one question I have is if cutting back the metal on the top will put too much heat on the plastic cover.

There's really not much to a muffler mod, provided you've got some basic metal working skills and some common sense. There's several threads on here about how big to make the hole relative to the exhaust port, where to put it and so on. Do a search for "muffler mod" or "372 muffler mod" to be exact. You can make the hole too big and even put it in the wrong place-think about where your hand will be, and what's in front of the hole. Just things to think about. If you have it sent out to a pro it'll cost you $20-$30 ballpark, depending on who you send it to, but it should come back properly installed, and should look decent. As far as tuning the saw afterword, you'll have to richen it up accordingly. You can do that by ear and by judging it in the cut. If you have it done by a pro, I'm sure you could call him up, and he'd be able to actually walk you through it on the phone. As far as life of the saw, with a simple, properly done muffler mod the saw won't be any more short lived than a stock saw, if not even longer lifed, as it should be running cooler afterwords. You can burn up a stock saw as easily as an opend saw.

As far as names, ehp (a site sponsor) comes to mind, as well as Dean at Washington Hot Saws, (klickitatsacket, also a site sponsor) and while he's a Stihl guy, he can do Huskys too. Those are just two of many, but two that will give you the utmost in service and quality. I've never dealt with Ed, but have never heard anything other than good about him, and I think all here would agree. And I know for a fact that you can get Dean at WHS on the phone, and he'll help you out...but pack a lunch-he'll buddy up to you and he likes to talk saws! Great service.

Jeff

Check out a post a while back by AS member "YUKON 659".
He did a fine job modding his 372 & 346 Huskies.

Thanks Max!!!! Search this thread out Husky Muffler Mod. Pics. I think it has a picture of a 346, 357, 372, and a 394 muffler that I did.

Jeff

Just have Dean send you a new one with a mod already done you will like the new found power

I cut rectangular holes in the sides near the top, then braze on stainless steel exhaust screens and outlets from a 288. P/N 503 0783-01 (outlet) and 503 4056-01 (screen). Paint with hi-temp gloss black paint. Cheers.

at this point i just can't see sending a muffler out to get modded. i had one done by walker's for a 385 and i thought they way over charged. here are 2 i did.

this pic is a 395

Back