I need some expert cutting advice and tips...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm working on a very wide oak branch that has fallen off and apparently embedded one end of itself into some soft earth. It's about 30 to 35 inches across and maybe 12 to 15 feet long. After dulling one 20in chain because I couldn't judge how deep to cut without hitting dirt I figured I'd quit and ask for some advice on how to handle this type of situation. What do you do as you get deeper into the log and you know that the ground is getting closer? I hope I explained this clear enough so you guys can picture what I'm describing.:) Always trying to better my cutting technique so any advice will be appreciated...I'm sure some of you guys have had this happen before:chainsaw:. What to do? Thanks fellas!

Bryan

keep your eyes on the chips and dont dog in. as soon as you see color change of the cuttings your getting into bark and then into the dirt if you keep going.

use a wedge to split it even further open to help see into the kerf.

know the length of your bar and keep an eye on that without leaning over the bar while cutting.

keep your eyes on the chips and dont dog in. as soon as you see color change of the cuttings your getting into bark and then into the dirt if you keep going.

know the length of your bar and keep an eye on that without leaning over the bar while cutting.

Thanks OD...!

Wow, it's hard to envision a branch of that diameter getting so deep into solid ground. I believe you, but it sounds like an freak happening. Any pics?

Nope...don't have a camera. This branch was limbed before it came down and it appears some of the branch nubs underneath kinda dug themselves in a bit. I would say maybe 6-8 inches below level ground.

:agree2:

right on the money. Use that technique to get it in to manageable size logs that you can roll. Now make the rest of your cuts like 3/4 of the way through and roll the log finish your cuts on the back side.

That's a big branch(or a small tree). Oughta be some good firewood in that. Can you pull it out with a truck or something? If you pull one the far end, it should come out. Good luck...Lanny

cut down as far as you can without hitting dirt. Get some chain on it and roll it over and cut from the other side.

-Jones

That's a big branch(or a small tree). Oughta be some good firewood in that. Can you pull it out with a truck or something? If you pull one the far end, it should come out. Good luck...Lanny

It's a big boy alright. I seriously doubt my F150 could budge it right now.

thats were the first part of the thread were I said cut it in manageable pieces first.

Thombat4, I'm usually able to get some movement out of a massive log just by making all of my 16" length firewood cuts (or whatever length you like) as far down as I can go without hitting the ground. Then, I try some tool on the sections. It could be a big farm tractor with a chain or as small as a breaker bar or cant hook to roll it. Often, attempting to cant the log reveals sections that are almost completely freed and only need a little more cutting or canting to free them. Sometimes I can even pound a section free from the log line with a hit or two with my 8 lb. maul.

Last edited:
So that's what canting is...

Thombat4, I'm usually able to get some movement out of a massive log just by making all of my 16" length firewood cuts (or whatever length you like) as far down as I can go without hitting the ground. Then, I try some tool on the sections. It could be a big farm tractor with a chain or as small as a breaker bar or cant hook to roll it. Often, attempting to cant the log reveals sections that are almost completely freed and only need a little more cutting or canting to free them. Sometimes I can even pound a section free from the log line with a hit or two with my 8 lb. maul.

Thanks, I just learned something new...!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back