I want to buy a *REALLY* good chain saw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... The Husky is a small bar mount I believe, (I WILL be corrected if wrong) ....

Both the 346xp and PS5100S (and in most cases the 357xp also) use the "small Husky" bar mount - but that is not a problem if you stick to 20" or shorter bars, which you should anyway - shorter is better........:)

He said that the ms361 and the ms390 are the exact same saw in every respect other than the body on the ms361 is magnesium and the body of the ms390 is plastic..(strong plastic). Other than that iteam, the saws are built and perform to the exact same specs. Is this true? or a stretch??.

I wouldn't call it a strech, more like a bunch of lies!!!!! :bang: :bang:

They are buildt in totally different ways, weight differense is a pound, or a bit more for the empty powerheads ..
The "official" specs make them look much more similar than they actually are......

After that, I went to the Husky dealer in town and asked about the 357xp. Once again to my surprise, he suggested a different saw from what I described to him. He suggested the 359 instead of the 357xp as they had the exact same weight and *similar* power.
Similar? Well, the difference is .5hp - if you take the 359, you could just as well take the much lighter PS5100S, imo......

I have a 390. It has a lower power to weight ratio than the 361. It is a very reliable saw though. BUT IT IS NO 361! Theres only three things that they have in common. 1. They both have the number 3 in their name. 2. Their both made by Stihl. 3. Their both chainsaws. GET THE 361!!!

Sawtroll:

Based on what I have read, I have to agree with you that from what others have said, the Dolmar 5100s shouls be a slightly better saw (more power and a tad lighter) than the Stihl ms390 that the one dealer is suggesting to me.

I find it funny that BOTH Stihl dealers were out of stock (sold out) of the ms361. Thats gotta tell you something right there!.

Because of the weight issue and my joints, I definitely won't go heavier than a 12-ish lb saw. I think if I do get a 12 lb saw, it will be the ms361 over the Husky 357xp.

If I want to go a little lighter, I will go with either the Dolmar 5100s, Husky 346xp, or possibly the Husky 353 to save a buck or two. Then again, I said in my original post that I want a really *good* saw. I'm not sure if the 353 is in the upper end or the medium end spectrum.

Something tells me that my perfect saw will be either the Stihl ms361, Husky 346xp, or the Domar 5100s. I know these are all fantastic saws, but to date, I have not held any of them (as the dealers were all sold out!).

Of course, there is no local Dolmar dealer but I think there is one within an hour or two driving. I have read nothing but very positive things about Dolmar but to be honest, I am a little concerned with poor dealer representation. I don't want to have to drive 3 hours round trip to a dealer in another town every time I need a small part or something.

The saga continues!!.

Of the info I have absorbed thus far, two iteams really stick out. 1.) is that Stihl uses dual rings as opposed to huskies single, and 2.) Stihl has some auto adjusting carb thing that could possibly be a benefit at high elevation use. Then again, maybe its just a gimmick and all you need to do is jet the carb properly for the elevation and be done with it!. I kind of think that may be the case!

Of course, there is no local Dolmar dealer but I think there is one within an hour or two driving. I have read nothing but very positive things about Dolmar but to be honest, I am a little concerned with poor dealer representation. I don't want to have to drive 3 hours round trip to a dealer in another town every time I need a small part or something.

Honestly if I had an issue with my 5100 I would come here first for help. A homeowner can deal with that, but a pro might want to bring the saw into a shop. The folks here have always been very helpful. But if you already know the Stihl dealer go with the 361.

Yes. I think its a shame that I may have to take Dolmar off the list due to no dealer support in the entire state!

I had just contacted the only "dealer" in the state, but they just have a few rental units in their lineup as they are a tool rental place. They do not stock or carry many (if any) parts and were not even familiar with the 5100s.

It may come down to the lighter 10.6 lb 346xp, or the heavier 12.1 lb ms361.

I just wish I could find either one of those two, but like I said, all sold out!.

If this helps, the primary use of this saw will be cutting endless firewood. Maybe the extra weight of the ms361 won't be so bad since the bar will be resting on the log I'm cutting most of the time.

There are a number of Dolmar dealers in my area and none of them had a 5100s in stock either. In fact, when I asked for the 5100s two of them handed me a 510 and said "here ya go". It seems none of the local dealers have any real experience with that model.

I finally decided to go on the great reviews of that saw and give it a try. I had a Dolmar dealer who is familiar with that saw ship one to me. If you would like, PM me and I'll let you know who that was.

I had it narrowed down to the same basic list you have now. If the $$$ would have been equal, I think I would have gone with the MS361 but for the difference I can't say enough good things about the 5100s.

Sawtroll:
Dolmar 5100s shouls be a slightly better saw (more power and a tad lighter) than the Stihl ms390 that the one dealer is suggesting to me.
One thing that I'd like to correct you on is that the MS390 does have more power than the 5100s, but the power to weight ratio is much less.

I took the advice of many here at AS and went with the 361.
I'm sure you will not be dissapointed if you went with it.
It's a great stock saw. But if you want to make it EVEN better,
use your search button and look up Lakerized muffler mod. ;)

You might even make up a nick-name for it.

:cheers:

..... Because of the weight issue and my joints, I definitely won't go heavier than a 12-ish lb saw. I think if I do get a 12 lb saw, it will be the ms361 over the Husky 357xp.

If I want to go a little lighter, I will go with either the Dolmar 5100s, Husky 346xp, or possibly the Husky 353 to save a buck or two. Then again, I said in my original post that I want a really *good* saw. I'm not sure if the 353 is in the upper end or the medium end spectrum. .....

A few notes about weights;

1) The weights listed in the catalogs (for empty powerheads) are are sometimes quite a bit off, the Husky 357xp and 359 weight considarably more than stated, and the Stihl 390 and Dolmar 5100S also do, but to a lesser extent. The 361 and 346 are right on.

2) Total weight (ready to cut) depends on the bar and chain you put on the saw, as well as the size of the tanks, + the powerhead weight.....

The Stihl Rollomatic E (not ES) bars generally are the lightest, followed by Norwegian made Husky/Jred ones, and then the others, including Oregon made ones (Pro-Lite). RSN bars will allways be heavier.

3) As a ref to cut4funs weighting, the tanks on the 361 are larger than on the 357, and you really need to fill the 361 oil tank just to about 60% to be safe.......:ices_rofl:

Btw, the 361 is one of the most fuel efficient saw out there - a tank last a long time.

Last edited:
A few notes about weights;
3) As a ref to cut4funs weighting, the tanks on the 361 are larger than on the 357, and you really need to fill the 361 oil tank just to about 60% to be safe.......:ices_rofl:

According to the specs

MS361
Fuel Tank = 23.2 oz = roughly .69l
Oil Tank = 11 oz = roughly .33l

Fuel Tank = .68l = 22.99 oz
Oil Tank = .38l = 12.85 oz

Do the math conversation and you will see that they both hold the same amount of bar and gas. I poured as much gas as I could without spilling out of 357 into the 361 and WOW they sure looked like they hold the same. I am not even going to try this with bar oil :D . Who know maybe the factory specs are all wrong eh, I dont care anyways, but some seem to live and die by specs. Guess i could run my 084 half full and say its working weight as used is lighter too. :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

357 Fuel tank volume 1.44 US pint / 0.68l
Oil tank volume 0.80 US pint / 0.38l

361 FUEL CAPACITY 685 cc (23.2 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 325 cc (11.0 oz.)

I don't have a good Husky selection around me, so I did not jump on the 346xp. Good saw, from what I read here. Thus, I was considering an 260 and 361 and after I put the 361 in my hands I couldn't imagine my small frame (5'9" 155 lbs soaking wet) lugging that thing all day. I went with the 260 based on weight. The 260 is svelte compared to the 361 in my hands. I may have my saw in wood a few more minutes per day of cutting, but big deal, I like to cut.

Go somewhere that has both in stock and put them both in your hands and then decide. Looking at numbers on paper is a starting point, but putting there is no substitute for putting a saw into your hands.

Sawtroll:

Based on what I have read, I have to agree with you that from what others have said, the Dolmar 5100s shouls be a slightly better saw (more power and a tad lighter) than the Stihl ms390 that the one dealer is suggesting to me.

I find it funny that BOTH Stihl dealers were out of stock (sold out) of the ms361. Thats gotta tell you something right there!.

Because of the weight issue and my joints, I definitely won't go heavier than a 12-ish lb saw. I think if I do get a 12 lb saw, it will be the ms361 over the Husky 357xp.

If I want to go a little lighter, I will go with either the Dolmar 5100s, Husky 346xp, or possibly the Husky 353 to save a buck or two. Then again, I said in my original post that I want a really *good* saw. I'm not sure if the 353 is in the upper end or the medium end spectrum.

Something tells me that my perfect saw will be either the Stihl ms361, Husky 346xp, or the Domar 5100s. I know these are all fantastic saws, but to date, I have not held any of them (as the dealers were all sold out!).

The saga continues!!.

Of the info I have absorbed thus far, two iteams really stick out. 1.) is that Stihl uses dual rings as opposed to huskies single, and 2.) Stihl has some auto adjusting carb thing that could possibly be a benefit at high elevation use. Then again, maybe its just a gimmick and all you need to do is jet the carb properly for the elevation and be done with it!. I kind of think that may be the case!

Self made millionaire trying to save a buck on a saw purchase thought best powerful saw was the issue361 is the answer.

Don't be much concerned whether a saw has two rings, or one. The number of piston rings in engines has decreased over time, even as engines improved and life spans rose. Having a piston with one ring offers the benefit of lower piston and ring weight, a possibly more compact engine, and potentially a slightly longer connecting rod for less piston side thrust for any given engine height. What counts in piston rings is the quality of ring steel, or iron, the overall cooling capacity of the engine design, and the total engine design. If there is sufficient interest, I will look up a recent research paper on the topic of piston rings and post a link here.

Self made millionaire trying to save a buck on a saw purchase thought best powerful saw was the issue361 is the answer.

Hey, what can I say; I';m CHEAP!!. (How do you think you make the money!?. Actually, some day, for another topic, saving money is worth MUCH more than earning the same amount and spending it.... You don't have to pay the taxable earnings on it and that can REALLY add up!!)

As far as the weight is concerned, I am really concerned about that as I have mentioned, I have a very bad joint disease (Chronic Lyme disease and Babesia).

While I can lift very heavy weights, I can only do it in "bursts". Doing any repetitive movement for sustained periods starts to really hurt. I really like what I have read about the ms361, but am concerned that I will become fatigued quickly with a heavier saw. This is why the interest in the 346xp.

Hopefully, at the end of the week, my local dealer will have a ms361 in stock and I will try my luck and try it out. If I think I can handle the weight for sustained periods, I will get it, if not, plan "B"!

Don't be much concerned whether a saw has two rings, or one. The number of piston rings in engines has decreased over time, even as engines improved and life spans rose. Having a piston with one ring offers the benefit of lower piston and ring weight, a possibly more compact engine, and potentially a slightly longer connecting rod for less piston side thrust for any given engine height. What counts in piston rings is the quality of ring steel, or iron, the overall cooling capacity of the engine design, and the total engine design. If there is sufficient interest, I will look up a recent research paper on the topic of piston rings and post a link here.

Marvin, posting the info on piston rings may be very informative for a lot of members. I, for one, am under the impression that two pistons is better than one; but I don't even know why I think that!.

Just like there is a big misconception that pine contains more creosote than any other wood. The fact is that all wood contains about the EXACT amount of creosote when seasoned fully and pine may actually be the cleanest burning wood of all due to its higher burn temps and complete incineration.

Of course, that assumes you don't mind emptying the ash pan every day as well as adding logs (whole logs) to the fire much, MUCH more often due to pines much shorter burn time.!

Go somewhere that has both in stock and put them both in your hands and then decide. Looking at numbers on paper is a starting point, but putting there is no substitute for putting a saw into your hands.

Very well said, paper specs only carry so much WEIGHT. :clap: :ices_rofl:

Sounds like you may need to get a good woods ported 346, so you have the power and less weight. :cheers:

Hey, what can I say; I';m CHEAP!!. (How do you think you make the money!?. Actually, some day, for another topic, saving money is worth MUCH more than earning the same amount and spending it.... You don't have to pay the taxable earnings on it and that can REALLY add up!!)

As far as the weight is concerned, I am really concerned about that as I have mentioned, I have a very bad joint disease (Chronic Lyme disease and Babesia).

While I can lift very heavy weights, I can only do it in "bursts". Doing any repetitive movement for sustained periods starts to really hurt. I really like what I have read about the ms361, but am concerned that I will become fatigued quickly with a heavier saw. This is why the interest in the 346xp.

Hopefully, at the end of the week, my local dealer will have a ms361 in stock and I will try my luck and try it out. If I think I can handle the weight for sustained periods, I will get it, if not, plan "B"!

Hey Hunk,
I hear ya there.

I've found out a long time ago, you have to scrimp in a lot of things.
That's how many people can get rich.
However, being rich doesn't bring happiness...

I've always felt that it is in giving, that we receive.
Then in giving, we can feel that we are making someone
feel good about themselves.

:cheers:

I may not get the same performance that the pros would get out of my 5100s, but in the long run it will still last me longer than a wild thing. I also think that it's easier to speed up the learning curve and get better results with better qulaity tools, rather than trying to learn on a poor quality alternative. Even a pro can only get so much out of a poor quality tool.

I try to buy good quality tools when I can, because they last longer and in many cases are easier to use than the cheap ones. I may not get pro results from them, but I still beleive that I'm farther ahead buying quality.

QUOTE]

Can this be our Moto?. Good stuff!:clap:

Latest posts

Back