ID This Old Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted these pics in "Scrounger" thread w/o much response, but I figure there must be some motorheads on here that can provide some info.

The wife and I cam across this in Fahnestock State Park a few miles in on one of their trails. I figure it must have been a truck from the size of the rear springs. Had leafs front & back, with coil "stoppers" also on the back. All gears instead of a timing chain, and a chain driven generator and a straight six motor.

Rolled fenders, and support brackets for running boards.

If anyone can ID the time period or possible make, I would sure appreciate any info. I find it fascinating.

Attachments

• Sept2014 016.jpg
    Sept2014 016.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 628
  • Sept2014 017.jpg
    Sept2014 017.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 678
  • Sept2014 018.jpg
    Sept2014 018.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 676
  • Sept2014 019.jpg
    Sept2014 019.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Sept2014 020.jpg
    Sept2014 020.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 489
All gears instead of a timing chain, and a chain driven generator and a straight six motor.

the gear drive looks like it goes back to a bosch style diesel fuel pump. i don't see any drive for a distributor. you can see the pulley for the cooling fan. might have been a generator on the same belt. i'm guessing it's military. does it look like the transfer case was always open as it is now?

edit: wait, that looks like a pto to a hydraulic pump. dump truck?

ok, out on a limb again, i'm guessing this is a detroit diesel engine which went into production in 1938 (wikipedia) and was used for transportation, marine and stationary applications. it is a two stroke and requires a supercharger, the same ones beloved by hot rodders. i think the two oblong ports on the left side of the head are where the blower hooked up.

Looks to be an F head? I only see 6 valves.

i'm no diesel mechanic and my only experience with detroit diesels is as the gray marine engine so popular with yachtsmen and fishermen. they are 2 stroke diesels and don't use a poppet type intake valve (i think). i have heard that they could run without rod bearing caps.

from wikipedia:

The Detroit Diesel Series 71 is a two-stroke diesel engine series, available in both inline and V configurations, with the inline models including one, two, three, four and six cylinders, and the V-types including six, eight, 12, 16 and 24 cylinders. The two largest V units used multiple cylinder heads per bank to keep the head size and weight to manageable proportions, the V-16 using four heads from the four-cylinder inline model and the V-24 using four heads from the inline six-cylinder model. This feature also assisted in keeping down the overall cost of these large engines by maintaining parts commonality with the smaller models.

The inline six-cylinder 71 series engine was introduced as the initial flagship product of the Detroit Diesel Engine Division of General Motors in 1938. The V-type first appeared in 1957. The 71 in the model series designation refers to the displacement per cylinder in cubic inches (actually 70.93 cu in / 1,162.4 cc). Bore and stroke is the same to all units, at 4.25 x 5.0 inches (107.95 x 127 mm).

All Series 71 engines utilize uniflow scavenging, where a gear-driven Roots type blower mounted to the exterior of the engine provides intake air through cored passages in the engine block and ports in the cylinder walls at slightly greater than atmospheric pressure. The engine exhausts through pushrod-operated poppet valves in the cylinder head(s), with either two or four valves per cylinder. Unit injection is employed, one injector per cylinder, with no high fuel pressure outside of the injector body. The injectors are cycled from the same camshaft responsible for opening the exhaust valves.

As a two-stroke diesel engine that does not use crankcase aspiration cannot naturally aspirate (draw in) intake air, a blower is necessary to provide sufficient air to scavenge exhaust gasses from the cylinders and to supply air for combustion. Later high-performance versions were available with turbochargers, and turbochargers with intercooling, the turbochargers discharging into the Roots blower intake.

The 71 Series went out of the Market since summer of 1995 and the Four Stroke Detroit Diesel Engine was introduced as a replacement.

here's a photo of a series 71, probably a six cylinder. the roots blower is bolted onto the left side and is driven by the gears and shaft that are still visible in the op's photo. the blower itself probably went into some kid's hotrod.

Detroit_Diesel_S_4cf7ae3e4d21c.jpg

OK, I'm looking at my pics again, I never envisioned a SC diesel when I took the pic, but I think you are correct. What I thought was a horn on the driver's side now looks like a gear driven centrifugal SC. Also, the thing connected to the chain in back of the engine must be the starter motor.

Any way you can determine when they may have used a centrifugal SC? That would explain why it is gear driven.

OK, I'm looking at my pics again, I never envisioned a SC diesel when I took the pic, but I think you are correct. What I thought was a horn on the driver's side now looks like a gear driven centrifugal SC. Also, the thing connected to the chain in back of the engine must be the starter motor.

Any way you can determine when they may have used a centrifugal SC? That would explain why it is gear driven.
I'm pretty sure the thing you are looking at is a water pump - it would have had a roots blower if that is what it is.

i agree with chris-pa. the assembly on the front of the head is a pulley either for the fan and/or the water pump. the roots blower would have been mounted on the left side of the block and driven by that shaft behind the gear. it would have been about the size and shape of a small suitcase. my guess is that the two rectangular openings on the left side of the head are ports for the output of the blower. that seems odd since the piston ported intake ports would be low in the block at the bottom of the stroke. the first thing that made me think this might be a detroit diesel is the absence of an intake manifold. i think i read somewhere that the fuel injectors were positioned directly under the camshaft and were not operated by rockers. i wish someone who knows detroit diesels would drop in.

Gut feeling but I discount the diesel thing. Just an 'F' head design from late teens or twentys. Headlight stanchion looks like it takes one of those big jobs with a reflector and bulb. Also, external contracting band brakes.

good observation. two questions though, where did the intake manifold bolt on and where are the spark plugs? also, what was the function for the three helical gears that spun something faster than the crankshaft?

IH used the exhaust manifold as an intake manifold with their tractors.
Don't know if that helps but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Latest posts

Back