ID This Old Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front exhaust was used for many years on the REO`s from what I have gathered. It would be quite hard to determine just what year the truck is from just that feature. This engine is in a 1921 REO. It shows the carb and intake quite well.
c-1925-REO-Roadster-engine-700x466.jpg

Yes, rudimentary rack and pinion steering. Took another seventy years to come around again.

Old timer engines like that drove the water pump and magneto coupled head to tail.

you nailed this one, good eye. my thinking that it might be a 2 stroke diesel was based partially on the gears on the front. i thought, mistakenly, that the crank and cam were geared to rotate at the same speed. you also caught the water pump housing/magneto on the driver's side. next question, what's the function of the chain driven transmission pto thingy?

I think that is a starter motor, no????

i remember from when i was a kid about a hundred years ago, some old trucks had a pedal on the driver's side floor, near the hump, or sometimes under the "accelerator" pedal. either way they operated a starter switch. so maybe that is a starter motor.

i remember from when i was a kid about a hundred years ago, some old trucks had a pedal on the driver's side floor, near the hump, or sometimes under the "accelerator" pedal. either way they operated a starter switch. so maybe that is a starter motor.

Yes ,Mike is right, that is the electric starter motor, the layout of the support mechanicals were quite different back then. The generator and distributor were pieced together into one unit, driven by that side shaft that also drove the waterpump.

you nailed this one, good eye. my thinking that it might be a 2 stroke diesel was based partially on the gears on the front. i thought, mistakenly, that the crank and cam were geared to rotate at the same speed. you also caught the water pump housing/magneto on the driver's side. next question, what's the function of the chain driven transmission pto thingy?

The first thing I noticed when looking at the first posted pict of the truck frame was that rack n pinion steering setup showing at the bottom of the steering colum. That is the thing that jogged my memory of the old truck in the salvage yard. Those Continental engines were used in a good many vehicles back in the early days of the automobile. Many small independent assemblers used these engines in vehicles and they were also used for a marid of stationary power plants.

The first thing I noticed when looking at the first posted pict of the truck frame was that rack n pinion steering setup showing at the bottom of the steering colum. That is the thing that jogged my memory of the old truck in the salvage yard. Those Continental engines were used in a good many vehicles back in the early days of the automobile. Many small independent assemblers used these engines in vehicles and they were also used for a marid of stationary power plants.
IH used a Continental motor in their 350 diesel tractors in the 50's
Try getting parts for those things!

From what I read on the REO this looked like their T6 F-head engine?

From what I read on the REO this looked like their T6 F-head engine?

Sorry Chris, the T6 engine had overhead intake valves.

After looking those first picts over again that engine might just have overhead intake valves minus the rocker arms and rocker shaft. If it does have them it would be the later T6 . Only thing has me puzzled is the T6`s I remember had the coolant intake at the front of the head, the 7-r had them on the side of the head.

If no luck there, try the H.A.M.B. (you can google "hamb"). Mike, you'd probably like the H.A.M.B.
I am a member there....... alot of crappy responses to new peoples questions...... I do the whole hamb drags each year but dont perticipate in much else, pretty clicky on hamb :/

Latest posts

Back