ID This Old Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, good spot. H.A.M.B. = Hokey Arse ?? Board. Message ?, I dunno. Been a long time since I visited. Rat Rod Central.

Intake bolted on the left side. Two oval intake ports served three cylinders each. Vertical pipe in middle of exhaust could have been plumbed to other side for intake manifold heat (you do need some to vaporize fuel mix).

and, water pumps are usually run some faster than crank speed.

Yup, good spot. H.A.M.B. = Hokey Arse ?? Board. Message ?, I dunno. Been a long time since I visited. Rat Rod Central.

Intake bolted on the left side. Two oval intake ports served three cylinders each. Vertical pipe in middle of exhaust could have been plumbed to other side for intake manifold heat (you do need some to vaporize fuel mix).

and, water pumps are usually run some faster than crank speed.

when i have time, i'll do the math on the gear ratio. i can load it into my image editor, gimp, and measure the relative diameters of those big helical gears. there's something at the end of that shaft that looks like the outer housing of a water pump but really those gears are major overkill for that application. another thing in favor of the f-head hypothesis is what appears to be a major oversquare bore/stroke ratio. of course that might be the case with two stroke diesels too. i like your age estimate but for a different reason, the presence of wheel rims that are missing their wooden spokes. lastly, we can't assume that the engine is the original for that chassis. and it must have been pretty hazardous to drive above a few miles per hour, mechanical band type brakes and steering via a gear-type sector that looks like it came off a fishing boat. maybe someone was using it in a stationary application.

Yes, rudimentary rack and pinion steering. Took another seventy years to come around again.

Old timer engines like that drove the water pump and magneto coupled head to tail.

interesting, why would the magneto be driven faster than the crank? four stroke mags that i have encountered usually spin at half the the speed of the crank and are driven by the cam.

ok, so i enlarged and enhanced the picture of the gears and was surprised to find that the largest gear is not on the crank but probably on the cam. it is driven by a gear on the crank that appears to be half it's size. to the right is an idler gear that drives the shaft on the side of the engine.

gears-2.jpg

My dad's from a small town in south Dakota. He remembered a lady driving this truck around when he was a kid. Years later a friend of his bought a farm and this truck was in one of the sheds. Had been there for 40 years. We had to cut down some big trees to get it out. He bought it and we hauled it home to wi. He had the seat done new tires and brakes. Other than that all original. No rust other than surface rust from sitting outside at a mechanic shop we took it to. The goofball had it for 6 months and didn't get much done so we had it flatbedded Home. Runs good, 67,000 miles.

Thanks guys, I think that is it. And I never even knew there was actually a vehicle the band was named after, and to think this is just sitting in the woods, miles in on a trail in a NYS park!

I wonder if there is a way to determine if Clarence Fahnestock actually owned one. The property was donated to the State by his family after his death. There is a lot of history there, including iron mines, the ore was transported to Cold Spring Foundry where they manufactured the Parrott (Parrot) Cannon. You can find it spelled both ways, but it was one of the first rifled cannons, and helped the Union win the Civil war.

A few years ago there was a forest fire across the river (next to Storm King Mtn) and several un-exploded munitions exploded. The State hiking trails there, which had been used w/o incident for many years, were closed for several years until they were deemed safe. Seems they used to use that site for target practice!

Several portions of Fahnestock State Park are restricted because they do not want you going near the former mine sites.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and information. I learned a lot from this. Never knew about 2 cycle diesels, etc.

A 1926 REO speedwagon, WOW!!!!!

Back