Identify

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JONSEREDS 521E/EV The absolute Cadillac of the 50cc Jonsereds line.....nice saws and extremely expensive in the day. Two speed electrically heated handles, chain brake and electronic ign standard....P&C is a closed port, with high compression domed piston same as the 52/52E....different flywheel side case half and recoil cover.

JONSEREDS 521E/EV The absolute Cadillac of the 50cc Jonsereds line.....nice saws and extremely expensive in the day. Two speed electrically heated handles, chain brake and electronic ign standard....P&C is a closed port, with high compression domed piston same as the 52/52E....different flywheel side case half and recoil cover.
Is it worth 100 bucks in good running order?

Is it worth 100 bucks in good running order?
Well....that is in the eye of the beholder I would say.....great pro saw and very pleasant to run especially in cold weather. The cons would be hard to get parts for. Probably not a saw to have to depend on to make a living though it once was. On the other hand if you want another saw to compliment others probably a good deal....$100 doesn't take you very far in the quality chainsaw world. Make certain the heated handle switch works in both positions as they are very hard to come by. It looks to be pretty low hour so I would guess it has a lot of life left.

Well....that is in the eye of the beholder I would say.....great pro saw and very pleasant to run especially in cold weather. The cons would be hard to get parts for. Probably not a saw to have to depend on to make a living though it once was. On the other hand if you want another saw to compliment others probably a good deal....$100 doesn't take you very far in the quality chainsaw world. Make certain the heated handle switch works in both positions as they are very hard to come by. It looks to be pretty low hour so I would guess it has a lot of life left.
If it was for sale close to you for $100, would you be buying it?
Just curious.

If it was for sale close to you for $100, would you be buying it?
Just curious.
Well that can't be answered without bias!! I have three great running examples of this saw and several parts saws plus a pretty good stash of NOS parts. As I said these are great saws and sold for over $400 new in the 70's. To answer your question........I think it's a fair deal but just wanted the OP to understand the pro's and con's of buying a long obsolete chainsaw no matter how great it was when it was current. I would likely not buy it only because I have collected more than my fair share of this model.......but then again I can have weak moments......and fail....adding to the pile...

Yeah I just realized the seller doesn't know what the model is and he isn't near it to verify that its a 50

That looks beautiful!!
Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but the 521 is the only Jonsereds built with that special recoil cover. Look close and you will see a seam that runs down by the gas cap.....the 52/52E 49sp etc. did not have that....it where the electric ign module is mounted on the 521E. The other give away in that pic is the heated handle switch just above and forward of the gas cap.

Years ago, I found a replacement toggle switch that fit. It was a shutoff for an auto start. Been 10 years so that information is gone. But, with the whole facebayinterweb, something can be found to replace. Glad I get the emails from AS. Got me to click and check it out again. Great to see you still helping people out, Cantdog!

I'm gonna chime in....I have recently in the last few years have been getting my head around the earlyer jonsereds saws. They have a type of quality that is very subtle and unique to them. I just was given a 451e for some work on another saw. Very cool and great saws to run. I'm a hobby sugar maker...i sell quarts of syrup for 20.00 each. So i see a saw like posts 521 and i think "oh 6-7 quarts of syrup no brainer" If it's a good runner and is COMPLETE than for me it would be worth owning for sure.....

good luck

sap can

Hey Bama!!! Good to see you posting a bit!! The old "team red" has all but disappeared on here. Though last week PB posted a couple times. Taplinhill monitors the Jonsered sticky regularly but spike60 and others have not been around in quite awhile..... :cheers:
Trying to get on once and a while. Funny how life dictates what we get to do in our free time. I have so many saws to work on and I just ended up finding that the shop teaching part of my job(high school) is where I put my free time. I have a 3 room setup with space for wood shop, welding shop, and an auto shop with a lift. It still gives me joy to work on saws, but the amount of work I put in at school kind of wears me out. Found a deal for 11 snowblowers and push mowers for $150. Put my high school small engines class working on them to get them running to help earn some $$ for the shop. Acquiring machines to allow me to teach cabinet making....skill I started working on last summer. It is crazy that with time my memory fades as to who were the J0nsered Big guns! I felt pretty knowledgeable years ago, but it is a skill that you either use it or lose it(and have to work to get it back!!). I remember SawTroll and you. Did a few deals with Spike60 back in the day. The crazy thing is that when the kids were still at home and all their crap was going on, but I still had time for saws. Now, they are gone. One is married and the other has a year left to be an engineer. BUt, I have less free time than I ever did. I know it is because of the choices I make. Could also be that too much typing really aggrivates the old tennis elbow that I had to have surgery on. Laptops and me dont' get along for long. :)

Trying to get on once and a while. Funny how life dictates what we get to do in our free time. I have so many saws to work on and I just ended up finding that the shop teaching part of my job(high school) is where I put my free time. I have a 3 room setup with space for wood shop, welding shop, and an auto shop with a lift. It still gives me joy to work on saws, but the amount of work I put in at school kind of wears me out. Found a deal for 11 snowblowers and push mowers for $150. Put my high school small engines class working on them to get them running to help earn some $$ for the shop. Acquiring machines to allow me to teach cabinet making....skill I started working on last summer. It is crazy that with time my memory fades as to who were the J0nsered Big guns! I felt pretty knowledgeable years ago, but it is a skill that you either use it or lose it(and have to work to get it back!!). I remember SawTroll and you. Did a few deals with Spike60 back in the day. The crazy thing is that when the kids were still at home and all their crap was going on, but I still had time for saws. Now, they are gone. One is married and the other has a year left to be an engineer. BUt, I have less free time than I ever did. I know it is because of the choices I make. Could also be that too much typing really aggrivates the old tennis elbow that I had to have surgery on. Laptops and me dont' get along for long. :)
I hear ya Bama....I always thought as I got older things would slow down and time would be more available.......NOT SO.......now that I am actually "Older", seems like things go twice as fast and I go twice as slow....have less time now than when I was "Busy Working" Anyway good to hear from you....

Latest posts

Back