If you could have one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw which would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 084

I'd have to go with the vintage Stihl 084. Every time I bring one to the Iowa GTG, everybody wants to try it out. I neglected to bring one of my friend's 084s last fall and got more raspberries than I care to admit. He has two of them that he still logs with, using them primarily for large bucking operations.

He fells all the trees with his MS 660, but loves to then pull out one of the big dogs and let it eat up the major bucking cuts, running a 36" bar and .404 chain. I service the engines for them whenever they have trouble. The original pistons ran about 25 years before I had to change them out. Without the decomp valve, I could never start the beasts, but my friend is bigger than I am and he can even drop start them without the decomp valve. Mercy!

Can you imagine what this thread would look like if AS was around in the 60's or 70's? You'd get the old timers that were around steam donkeys, drag saws and misery whips, talking, and throw in the guys who logged in the 40's-50's with the 2 man 99A's, Mall's and the like. Wouldn't that be fun:rock::rock:

Since I have a few,it would have to be my 056magII.
If I was after really big wood (which I doubt I ever would ) it would be my 1130G.

Since I have a few,it would have to be my 056magII.
If I was after really big wood (which I doubt I ever would ) it would be my 1130G.
Good choice, and my friend you can handle real big wood with that, been there with em. Torque galore, that redwood felled with the 750 in my last post, there was a 56 mag 2 there. Those things were powerful old work horses. Randy 30-06 one of the very best. It's my favorite Cal, in a big game rifle. J.J agree with half of the back in time theory. Some ways I won't go to far back, depends on saw and brand for me. For me the 2101 well do I have to tell ya you know me:cool2: But some oldies were junk, and some newbies are junk I think. I like a mix a little. I think my favorite era, is mid to late 80's Husky, up to some of today. I think some that wore a 2 for the series, were some of the best of the all time best, for any saw. But hey I wont go back to the 50's or nothing:cool2:;) And yes some are relics.

Just another question that's impossible to answer..how could anybody be satisfied with just one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw :monkey:

Just another question that's impossible to answer..how could anybody be satisfied with just one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw :monkey:
Very simple. What if you can't lift the saw? Some of those puppies weighed in at 30 lb or more. Oh, I suppose you could watch your grandson struggle to try to lift one of them.

Look, guys, most of these old beasts were dinosaurs. One man felling a tree with one of them was darn near impossible. Nowadays, one man by himself can drop five big trees a day with a Stihl MS 660 or equivalent with a 36" bar.

Very simple. What if you can't lift the saw? Some of those puppies weighed in at 30 lb or more. Oh, I suppose you could watch your grandson struggle to try to lift one of them.

Look, guys, most of these old beasts were dinosaurs. One man felling a tree with one of them was darn near impossible. Nowadays, one man by himself can drop five big trees a day with a Stihl MS 660 or equivalent with a 36" bar.

Your Kidding right. Alot of the big old saws can, and still do kick butt.

Where on Earth did you get an idiotic idea like that?

Your Kidding right. Alot of the big old saws can, and still do kick butt.

Where on Earth did you get an idiotic idea like that?

Yep. A McCulloch 797 or SP125, and a Homelite 2100 or 750 ALL weigh within a pound or so of an MS880 or 3120XP. Those "dinosaurs" will cut right with those two 'modern' saws. Not quite as fast, but not too far off the mark.

My 82cc SP-81 (see my avatar) is within a pound of a 372XP (with a full wrap) when both are wearing a 32" bar................and the SP-81 runs that 32" bar with MUCH more authority in bar-length wood. A 98cc Pioneer/Poulan Pro saw (such as a P-62 or 655BP) will embarrass a stock MS660 in bigger wood, yet isn't any heavier.

Sure there are advances in chain speed, maintenance-free operation, fuel economy, comfort, and noise output with the 'modern' saws.........................but that doesn't mean that work couldn't (or can't) be done with the older saws.

Last edited:
It is good to see enthusiasm about big old saws, they deserve to be dug out of barns, sheds and saved from the scrappers.
It is often forgotten that the old saws were used by men who thought they were tools, not the trophies they have become in this time.

Some words of caution for those who may not have much experience with them. They need to be treated with respect, they will not suffer a fool for very long and will punish stupidity. The power delivery with certain classes of the old beasts, can be quite violent, the heavy chain used has a lot of bite, things can get out of hand very quickly.
The gear-drives are a whole 'nother critter, even an 80cc can knock you down, break bones, the big ones are nearly unstoppable and will launch from a binding kerf with unbelievable speed and force.

Brain Fart?? never seen you write that much before

Do some poking around. When Randy gets going, his stories are the best I have read.

Hint: Spider bites...
just a few words from old randy is entertaining, even more entertaining when he ignores you :D lol

New sig picy for randy :msp_thumbup:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back