If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Chris about most of it.currently I don't own any pro model saws. And the ones I have have all been great and dependable. But a small tree with a small pro saw such as 241 don't seem silly to me for a home owner with it having m-tronic to help them not knowing how to tune it might be the best thing for them as long as they can remember not to straight gas it.

Fun but flawed premise Red. My suggestion for one saw to do it all would be different than which saw to add first. I suspect you would benefit from a 50 & 70cc combo. With the old Homies filling in for the odd biggun.

Assuming you want to add another saw later, this almost rules out a 60cc for me. Instead I'd suggest a 545. Once ported, consensus seems to be that it's as good ported as a 550. And something in a 70cc down the road a bit. In either case, farm trees are seldom "clean". So stick with semi-chisel.

In my experience, I find myself largely skipping over the mid size 60cc saws in my arsenal. Opting instead to limb with a 50cc until it slows me down. Then typically jump to the ported 046. Maybe just because its still "new" to me. Dunno.

Another thing to consider is resale value. An Echo cs590 is really quite a bargain for a firewood saw. Should last many years. But should you decide to sell it, plan on taking a good loss and waiting patiently for a sale. Point being, if you buy it to keep they're a bargain for what they do. If you intend to trade or sell in a year or three... Not so much.

Fun but flawed premise Red. My suggestion for one saw to do it all would be different than which saw to add first. I suspect you would benefit from a 50 & 70cc combo. With the old Homies filling in for the odd biggun.

Assuming you want to add another saw later, this almost rules out a 60cc for me. Instead I'd suggest a 545. Once ported, consensus seems to be that it's as good ported as a 550. And something in a 70cc down the road a bit. In either case, farm trees are seldom "clean". So stick with semi-chisel.

In my experience, I find myself largely skipping over the mid size 60cc saws in my arsenal. Opting instead to limb with a 50cc until it slows me down. Then typically jump to the ported 046. Maybe just because its still "new" to me. Dunno.

Another thing to consider is resale value. An Echo cs590 is really quite a bargain for a firewood saw. Should last many years. But should you decide to sell it, plan on taking a good loss and waiting patiently for a sale. Point being, if you buy it to keep they're a bargain for what they do. If you intend to trade or sell in a year or three... Not so much.

I've grown very fond of 60cc saws.

I used a ported 262XP in place of both the 50cc and the 70cc saws over the summer.

If properly ported the 262XP will make a stock 70cc saw completely unnecessary.

I used a ported 262XP in place of both the 50cc and the 70cc saws over the summer.

45, 50 & 60cc for me. Yeah I really like 60cc saws too...

I did just get a ugly, old 262xp to see what they are about.

45, 50 & 60cc for me. Yeah I really like 60cc saws too...

I did just get a ugly, old 262xp to see what they are about.
good running saw but i heard parts are getting hard to find. a local sawmill/logging company runs one daily
and they are pretty fast cutters to be stock.

Randy In your opinion how do the newer ported 60cc saws compare to the 262xp?

The word "quality" gets used a lot here, but it's an ill-defined word that often means "I feel good because I spent a lot and got a really cool saw". Owning a neat piece of equipment is a great feeling, and when I see the build threads on the newer Husqvarnas and Stihls I appreciate the designs as much as anyone - same as I would looking at a Ferrari. But for a non-pro these are luxury purchases - why not recognize it as such and skip the attempt to justify it as a need?

There is another term called "value", which in recent times people view negatively, but this was not always so. Nor will it be in the near future. I find that I can get good equipment at much lower cost, improve it and maintain it with my own skills, and it will last for many years of the kinds of use described in this thread. Personally I get far more enjoyment using a good but modest tool I built/repaired/modified myself than I do buying some bleeding-edge equipment from the factory. Actually, as a homeowner/firewood hack, using some of that pro equipment to cut down and buck a little tree would make me feel kinda silly.

Never tried to justify a pro saw. Just said I want one. Their is nothing wrong with a "value" saw. I just Want 1 new saw and I would like to get it ported.

I too enjoy making something from a pile of parts. Completely understand your point of view here.

I have just been getting bored with my older saws, seems like I am fiddling with them more than I am cutting. That is my reason for the newest M tronic/autotune stuff

I figure 1 Strong 60cc saw can replace all of the saws I currently use. And when I do use them It will be more enjoyable to me.

Thank you.
Joe

I have the 562 and enjoy using it, but I believe you would like the 555 as well. In the Stihl lineup, the ms362cm seems to be well liked by those who have them. The 2260/2258 Jonsered saws would basically be the same as the Husky models. Currently, those would be your choices, of AT or m tronic models. All seem to take to porting well.

Ok, I have narrowed it down I believe these would be my best bet for a all around saw

Ms 261 50.5 cc 11.6 lbs

2253 50.1 cc 11.02lbs

Both saws ported and running a 18" bar

Don't pick one just because of the color or the name. I have heard these are 2 different animals,

I would like to know real world experiences.

Please lets try to stay productive lol

Thank you

I have a muffler modded 550 I run with 16" 3/8" chain. I want to go to a 20" soon for the reach.

Ok, I have narrowed it down I believe these would be my best bet for a all around saw

Ms 261 50.5 cc 11.6 lbs

2253 50.1 cc 11.02lbs

Both saws ported and running a 18" bar

Don't pick one just because of the color or the name. I have heard these are 2 different animals,

I would like to know real world experiences.

Please lets try to stay productive lol

Thank you
Hopefully there are some owners of each close to you so you can run them and make your own decision.
In assuming MI is up north, and over 600mi from here, but your welcome to come run my MMMS261xb if your ever close to Atlanta.

I have run ported 2253 models by Randy and Terry, ported 550 and ported 545 by Terry, and ported 261cm by Randy and there is very little difference in the cutting speed of any of them. I believe you would be happy with either.

Do you agree the 261 has the most torque of the bunch?

I have only cut a few cookies with each model. The day I ran one of the ported 2253 I also ran the ported 261cm and a ported 2153 back to back. In the few cuts I made, there was very little difference in torque or cutting speed to me. I don't own either model.

I have only cut a few cookies with each model. The day I ran one of the ported 2253 I also ran the ported 261cm and a ported 2153 back to back. In the few cuts I made, there was very little difference in torque or cutting speed to me.
Depends on the diameter of the wood and species how about in 20 inch Oak?

Back