If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully there are some owners of each close to you so you can run them and make your own decision.
In assuming MI is up north, and over 600mi from here, but your welcome to come run my MMMS261xb if your ever close to Atlanta.

I have run a ported 261 it was nice, but then so was the muff modded 550.:angry:
Just cut some cookies, so no real time on either saw.

Stock yes 18 or maybe 20 then I switch to a 440 this is in Oak. you said you had Sugar Maples if they are like the ones I cut here you will need a 70 cc saw. Unless you have a Homelite for that.

Yep I have the 70cc and up covered. I cut mostly, oak, cherry, poplar/cottonwood, and some soft maple The sugar was just the pic I had and I knew how it cut.

These are the saws on my list in no particular order, But all ported and 16-18" bar

stihl 261

husky 550

jred2253

dolmar

solo
Any other to consider? If you have one let me know what you like/dislike in the tree pictured.
The Solo 656 will hand it too a ms261/550xp with ease as they do with most of their models. For example the 665 IS the strongest 60 cc saw...the 681 will smoke a 461 or 576xp and IS definitely the strongest 80cc saw on the market. You won't need to port a 656 solo....it has way better power to wieght ratio than anything offered by the major two. As they have been making saws in west Germany longer than both Stihl and Husky, l would not discount them as a choice as they know a thing or two about saws. They just don't have the advertising $$ too force those facts down your throat. These saws have been out since 2009 and only recently has the 'AS' community started to realize how good they are. The Dollar 6400/7900 are regarded as stellar saws around here but you mention Solo and everyone goes 'wtf'.....well Solo designed the 6400/7300/7900 saws for Dolmar....but hey they get no credit for that.

The Solo 656 will hand it too a ms261/550xp with ease as they do with most of their models. For example the 665 IS the strongest 60 cc saw...the 681 will smoke a 461 or 576xp and IS definitely the strongest 80cc saw on the market. You won't need to port a 656 solo....it has way better power to wieght ratio than anything offered by the major two. As they have been making saws in west Germany longer than both Stihl and Husky, l would not discount them as a choice as they know a thing or two about saws. They just don't have the advertising $$ too force those facts down your throat. These saws have been out since 2009 and only recently has the 'AS' community started to realize how good they are. The Dollar 6400/7900 are regarded as stellar saws around here but you mention Solo and everyone goes 'wtf'.....well Solo designed the 6400/7300/7900 saws for Dolmar....but hey they get no credit for that.
So this is the most kick ass saw in that class and no one uses them?

Interesting,
solo 656
56 cc
4.4 hp
11.7 lbs

There's your sign! :numberone: And look up what saws have the highest resale value.

You crack me up. :laughing:

But their is a new dolmar 5105 at the local hardware? I was kind of hoping to buy a saw already ported and not have to send it out.

You crack me up. :laughing:

But their is a new dolmar 5105 at the local hardware? I was kind of hoping to buy a saw already ported and not have to send it out.
Just get the Stihl man you already have one right? You don't want a bunch of different brands it will complicate parts and chains and bars and stuff really. Look at the trouble you are having already, concentrate man. IMOHO , Iv'e been cutting 40 years and do all my own repairs and my friends saws too.

Just get the Stihl man you already have one right? You don't want a bunch of different brands it will complicate parts and chains and bars and stuff really. Look at the trouble you are having already, concentrate man. IMOHO , Iv'e been cutting 40 years and do all my own repairs and my friends saws too.

Nope, I don't have a Stihl. All homelites. I Did just buy my dad a new ms241 for christmas. Pretty sad the first new saw I have ever bought isn't even mine. And it is a pro saw to boot.:crazy2:

I understand where you are coming from. Same bars/chains and everything

Thank you Joe

Latest posts

Back