I'll be banned soon....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy and use all husqvarna products now because my stihl dealers attitude got in the way. Not only that,when i did try to buy a string trimmer from him,he talked me into a kawasaki trimmer! I went there for a stihl. It was a big mistake on his part,Ive bought 4 husky saws,3 string trimmers,a blower,a pole saw,and many other things from my husky dealer,who by the way is excellent.My husky dealer sharpens my chains free,and just takes good care of me,if i need anything, i get it right away,and ive never had to wait for parts,everything i have needed was in stock.

What Husky dealer do you use? I am in Ulster Co. just over the border. Spike60 is my go to guy up in Shokan. Well worth the drive to visit their shop, IMHO.

I have never run a 488 but let me tell ya, your in for a treat with the 757. We had to pull the limiters on ours to get the carb rich enough to suit me but other than that it is bone stock and just plain runs great. We did add the clutch cover side felling dog, it is needed IMO.

I know Stihls aren't your cup of tea, but what about Shindaiwa? I was expecting a little more from you!!:)

I have no beef with Stihl as such, but I have with some of their models....

...and letting a 440 go for a Shinny is pure madness.......:jawdrop:

Independent dyno tests show that the tested Shindaiwas doesn't put out anywhere close to speced power, while most other tested saws does - some even exeed it (254xp, 262xp and PS7900 comes to mind).

Last edited:
What part of Illinois you from? Our Stihl dealers are pretty good around here.

BTW - I have a 488. Nice saw. Very comparable to the 260. Maybe a little down on power in comparison, but not enough to matter much. VERY easy starting. I like the old style choke and on/off switch. My father's old Homie crapped out, so I sent it to his house for awhile. He's getting along very well with it. I'm guessing I probably won't be getting it back.........

Last edited:
Great Service from Stihl Dealer

On Saturday I brought my 361 to a newer Stihl dealer that is closer than the one I bought my saw from, (not open on Saturdays) or the one bought my trimmer from, which is further away. I wanted a carb limit cap tool and some caps.

He treated me like I was spending tons of money with him. He removed the carb, showed me how to remove the caps, and adjusted my carb. Gave me a bunch of pointers like he was training an employee. He worked with me for about 20 minutes while there were other customers in the store and didn’t charge me. I felt guilty walking away without buying something. The others treated me well, but this guy really made me want to tell my friends.

What a way to advertise!.
:greenchainsaw:

I won't hit ya with a hammer but I'm with troll on the 440. I think Shinny makes a good saw, the name just isn't out much. Let us know how they run or else!!!:chainsaw:

What part of Illinois you from? Our Stihl dealers are pretty good around here.

BTW - I have a 488. Nice saw. Very comparable to the 260. Maybe a little down on power in comparison, but not enough to matter much. VERY easy starting. I like the old style choke and on/off switch.

I agree 100%! My Shindaiwa 488 is by far the easiest starting saw I have ever used. I too am a fan of the independent choke and ignition switch.
I think a muffler mod would take care of the power issue.

I buy and use all husqvarna products now because my stihl dealers attitude got in the way. Not only that,when i did try to buy a string trimmer from him,he talked me into a kawasaki trimmer! I went there for a stihl. It was a big mistake on his part,Ive bought 4 husky saws,3 string trimmers,a blower,a pole saw,and many other things from my husky dealer,who by the way is excellent.My husky dealer sharpens my chains free,and just takes good care of me,if i need anything, i get it right away,and ive never had to wait for parts,everything i have needed was in stock.

when you went to buy a STIHL weed wacker, and the guy tried to sell you a KAWI , he was doing you a big favor !!!! AND YOU GET ALL HUFFY ON HIM !!! shame on you !!! LOL

i try to buy whats best !!!! my neighbor is a STIHL dealer.... there is a reason he is a SHINDAWA dealer also.... it's a shame he isn't a RED-MAXX dealer !!!

boss bought a STIHL BR 550 blower,,, what a piece of junk..compared to a RED-MAXX... so are the pole pruners and weed wackers, compared to other makes... STIHL makes good chain saws,, they ought to stay with that...JMHO

guess i will have to join up with you, just got an older shinaiwa 500 for 15 clams:greenchainsaw:

Only thing wrong, is you haven't got CAD bad enough to keep them all.

I've been thinking of doing the same, replace or wear out the stihl's.
Three or four times the hours on the Dolmars & apox. 50% less in repairs and parts than the stihl's. #1 beef on the stihl's is the fuel lines, seems like every time a barrel of oil goes up - the quailty goes down.

026 pro

123C
346P4

dcs540
dcs6401 nib Waiting to be a 7900
After election, mad money went to primers & powder.
Well let me say this the cost of powder has been way up the last three years!
But I like your point about CAD I should have never sold my 041 super! I also got rid of all my Stihls but that was greed talking Stihl heads will pay allot for a mint 056 mag2, It was no wear near the saw my big Mac is so why keep it was my thinking and the 044 I had just didn't seem to be any better than the 041? Plus I thought it was ugly I am a shallow person lol.
But I have this thing in my head I want a 064 I have a gap to fill in the line up.

Not a big deal, just send me that 440.
I'll pay for the shipping and all the boxing etc.
On a real deal.
I've strayed and have been happy. I'm thinking it is a balancing act between cost and performance. I really like my Solo 681 and for the cost, I would be waiting in the wings.
Post how it turns out.
Good saws in the cut mean more than the brand.

I just ordered a 488 & 757 Shindaiwa to replace my Stihl's.....
Alright, so let me have it.....

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
jpshakehead.gif

I'm not gonna hack on ya for it but..... Really????.....
conf40.gif
........ traded a 260?........
slap.gif
.......... and a 440?........ :buttkick:

J/K the shinnys are well built saws, wouldn't mind adding a couple to my own collection. Not the fastest pistol in the west but they will do the job. :clap:.... but I wouldn't trade a good Stihl for one. :laugh:

Go ahead and pick up a couple of the cork "O-rings" for the fuel and oil caps when you pick up the saws, you'll thank me later.....

and when (notice I didn't say if) you have to replace the intake boot on the 757 be sure to get the base and muffler gaskets when you order the boot. It's a lot faster and easier to just go ahead and pull the jug so you can work on it when you change the intake boot. :cheers:

I agree 100%! My Shindaiwa 488 is by far the easiest starting saw I have ever used. I too am a fan of the independent choke and ignition switch.
I think a muffler mod would take care of the power issue.

I wondered what a muffler mod would do to the power, but in the back of my mind I had it earmarked for my father. It fit the bill for what he needs, and he would appreciate the quieter exhaust in lieu of a bit more power. If he ever brings it back, I'll mod it then.

I wonder just how many zero personality Stihl dealers have driven people off to other brands. I find many Stihl dealers have the I don't need your business attitude. I believe the only reason they have any business is the quality and reputation of their products not their treatment of the customer.

I'm with you on this one, I've been trying to get some info & pricing on stihl backback blowers recently (already own one, just wanted info on the newer models) & every dealer I've talked to acted like they were doing me a favor. If you aren't one of the commercial customers my local dealers usually do business with, you don't get the time of day. I must say, I finally found one that actually takes the time (at least with my experience) to talk to the little guy without coming across like they're doing you a favor. I was so happy with this dealer, I purchased a BR600 backpack blower to compliment my BR340 backpack blower and will definately use this dealer in the future. I may even consider a newer Stihl chainsaw in the future if it is purchased through this dealer (and thats a big step for me). I've also found out hey sell sell everything I need for my Lesco & Bobcat mowers. Maybe it's because they don't just handle Stihl exclusively, or maybe it's just because they treat people the way they would like to be treated, but they have shown me something that will keep me coming back, not sure, but my local dealers have lost my business due to the "we don't need your business" attitude.

About dealers.
I find most Stihl dealers are snobs and like to bad mouth the competition,or don't make a attempt to help you get the part you need, Dolmar dealers now nothing about the saw's they are selling.
But it is human nature for the dealer to push the brand they sell, but some will say that is a nice saw even if they don't sell that brand.
I should add I bought my Dolmar from the Cutting Edge a long way away from me and they know their stuff! and are top notch considering how far away my saw came from the other end of the Continent well to me anyway.
But you will find just as many bad Husky Dealers out there as Stihl dealers.
To be honest I would not mind buying a good pro saw off the shelf of a big box store if it brakes down during warranty they would most likely just replace it no ? asked.
But of course the atmosphere would not be the same shopping there. My Jred dealer keeps asking me if my Poulans have blown up yet,and the Hound gets to go in the shop too.

It is my understanding that in recent years Stihl has been giving potential dealers a personality profile test.

If you pass the test (which means you have one) you are automatically disqualified for a period of 5 years. After that you can reapply.

It is my understanding that in recent years Stihl has been giving potential dealers a personality profile test.

If you pass the test (which means you have one) you are automatically disqualified for a period of 5 years. After that you can reapply.

LOL, no kidding, what do these guys want a date with the Stihl dealer. Funny how when I walk in to purchase a product I don't seem to get these rude dealers, LOL. I have had Stihl dealers take parts off of new saws sitting on the shelves in order to get me back in business.

Quit whining like a little girl, when I'm in the woods the quality of the product I'm using is what counts, and if using or selling quality Stihl parts and products somehow illicits a sense of arrogance from the dealers then I say keep on building quality saws.

My opinion,

Sam

Good luck with the new Shinny's. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with them. If dependability is what you're after, they rank up there with anything. My only experiance is with a brush saw/ line trimmer but if they are anything like that, you'll be very pleased.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back