I'm pulling my hair out over my next purchase.......ms460 vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskys are sold where they belong. In the discount stores with the Echos and Poooolans. The three are very similar. :potstir:

Hey, 86, next time you are in a Stihl dealer, do me a favor and check the price of the wet/dry vacuum for me.

How much you wanna give me for my 372XP? Bought 3 when Baileys had there big sale years back. Powerhead only. Never even had gas put in it. Still be in the original box if the roof didnt leak one winter.

Selling openly is vorboten unless you are a sponsor.

the 372 is faster ..... Problem with the husky is you gotta pull all the screws and put locktite on em or they vibrate out.

If you are talking about the two saws mentioned here, the 372 is def smoother....and the 372 is definitely slower....

It's just too bad you can't get the best saw in that class... Ugh... Get the "other" German saw if you must...

Yep, the best choice in this class....smooth, stronger, and in bw the two in weight.

Yeah either one Ozarks2. Im glad somebody caught that, because the 460 get's plenty of love on this site good call! I have the luxury of five saw's so I can choose whatever, but if you just have one for big stuff the 460 will do a little better, not alot, a little. Ive run alot of 046 mags, and ms 460's. I own a 044 with a dual port muffler. Ive done the comparison for years. Well I never sold the 44 to buy a 460. If I was going to get a new saw I would get the 460 if choosing between that, and the 440 maybe. But its not a world of difference that's why I didn't trade up. It does have slighltly more stump power than the 440, or 372, but all saw's mentioned you can't go wrong! I dont know that I would agree with a in between saw when comparing the 460 over the 440, or 372. I think that there is no in between, because if the 44-or 372 can't do it play time's over get the 660 out. But like I said I have that choice, and it is a real luxury. I think the reason the 046 was developed was to pull a 32in bar better, because the 32 is a popular size for timber, and the 44 does better with a 28 than a 32. So maybe alittle in between, but like i said if I was lacking in the 44-or my 372 than Im bringing the 660. All of the saw's mentioned are all smooth, and don't seem to vibrate bad to me. I run both, and have cut with Husky, and Stihl both for years. I love em both, different saw's, different feel. Could the huskie's be smoother than the Stih'ls, maybe, but the Stihl's feel good to me.

Thanks Normzilla,

I haven't been around here long and the search function is lacking...wait a minute, it doesn't work at all...lol. So the "arborist" google searches I've done between the 460 and 372 always seemed to lean toward the 372....my perception anyway. I was starting to think they're was something wrong with me for even considering the 460 over the 372. I got excited with all of the talk about a newly released 440 but I quizzed the dealers around here and you would have thought I was asking them to order me a unicorn. They didn't have a clue so I'm not holding my breath on that. So, I've been thinking very hard about a ms362 cause it would do most everything that I need a saw to do. I could use it for bucking and the 346 for limbing until I run into something I can't cut with the 362, then go big. But, I've kinda thought I should go ahead and jump up to the 70cc's saw class, not just for the performance but because some of the midsized saws are expensive. Spend just a little more and get one of the big boys. I don't know what I want for sure....I know I'm ready to buy ONCE I FIGURE IT OUT....urrrr. Too many choices. If I go 460, it will sport a 20" bar most of the time and probably nothing longer than a 25" for my cutting needs.

Last edited:
You are welcome man, been there before myself. Decisions LOL! That was just my opinion's too, and ther are many, and alot of good ones. I would'nt get the 362, not saying it's a bad saw,but it's not a 372. The 372 is a personal favorite to alot of people. Get the 372 you can't go wrong with one, and you will be very, very, happy. Then inthe future if you want you can go up from there, 395-ms660. f you get a 372you can do all the 20inch saw stuff firewood etc, to mid-and also handle big stuff. Then youre next saw could be a big one for all big stuff, and you would be well rounded. No matter what the saw shape or size. One is never enough, and I mean that seriousily. What if you pinch one? You got a job, and it goes down! Alway's have at least two. Alway's a backup. Try the 372 you will love it!

Well all this talk got me excited and I found a sweet used ms460 for 475.00obo and I'm picking it up in the morning and adding it to the fleet! I got to run a 372 yesterday for the first time although I'm not a husky fan and it has high revs in all. But I love stihls torque and all out grunt. I just love the 660 cause there's no stopping the beast. I do how ever have complaints on the 441 just gotta be very easy on that saw. I'm gonna fix that wagon soon! Just need to do a little more homework on stratos and I'll be a happy camper. Go for either saw you can't lose.

I agree hard to beat the 660. My 044 is a go to saw alot, got the 372 recently, at go to that one too, but gotta admit when getting into decent wood, or just wanting to make short work, the 660, and 2101 are in my hands frequently! They almost make you forget about the other saw's that you brought along LOL!

Hate to say it but gas prices 372 or 441 may be looking better all the time....Feeding a ported 460 seems to always be hungry! 880 even worse!

Kinda knowing where you live and the dealers, if your Race Brothers is anything like mine, if you buy the 372 find another Husky dealer to buy it at if you want to get the best price and any service.
Our Race Brothers has a 19 or 20 year old that might.....just might be able to tell you which end of the saw cuts. All he knows is that the price is 829.96, just what is printed on the sign. You'll be lucky if they tune the saw before letting you leave with it. You might check out the Husky dealer in Ozark, I hear they are pretty decent folks, not a "chain" operation.

Well all this talk got me excited and I found a sweet used ms460 for 475.00obo and I'm picking it up in the morning and adding it to the fleet! I got to run a 372 yesterday for the first time although I'm not a husky fan and it has high revs in all. But I love stihls torque and all out grunt. I just love the 660 cause there's no stopping the beast. I do how ever have complaints on the 441 just gotta be very easy on that saw. I'm gonna fix that wagon soon! Just need to do a little more homework on stratos and I'll be a happy camper. Go for either saw you can't lose.

Man, I wish I could find one for $475. It'd make my decision a whole lot easier...lol. I'm with you on the Stihl torque. Something about that is pulling me in the direction of the Stihl saws. You know you got it bad when you keep watching youtube videos of the saws you're wanting to buy.....:blob2: I know it's gonna be a 460 but I'm having a hard time letting go of the money. If it had the antivibe of the 362, it'd be a done deal. Now the 362 has everything I want EXCEPT the power.

I know if I had a 460 on my mind, or a 372. I would'nt even have a glimmer of a thought about a 362, great saw, but Totally different country!

I run my 361, 440, 441 and 660 a decent amount and unless your gonna be on a saw for 8 hour days throw the antivibe worries out the window! There all great antivibe just some a bit better than others but not enough to worry about. Don't get a 362 if your thinking about a 372/460 you will find yourself wanting more. If you buy a bigger saw you can always put a smaller bar on it for smaller wood. But you wont be able to put a huge bar on a smaller saw. I found this 460 on Craigslist. I have pretty much have the whole newer line up. And I do find myself running my 660 alot I love that thing! I cut a bunch of stumps down the other day on a job I'm doing and it just would not bog down. All oak and it was spitting chips like there was no tomorrow!

Interesting thread for sure! First, the 372 and 440 are more closely matched, power wise.
Second, got to agree with the best dealer support!
Now is when things get tricky! The 372 responds well to mods, is lighter and has better AV. But we aren't comparing apples to apples, so the 460, being larger cc wise, wins power wise.
Even with all my ailments, the AV of my 046 doesn't bother me a bit. BUT, I run it as little as I can anymore because of back issues.
Now a 440 compared to a 372, that's a match up! I really like the feel and weight of the 440 myself! Damn nice saw to run IMO!
The 372 is OK, but it seems to lack any grunt, it's all RPM and a light touch, not my style of cutting! Probably one of the main reasons I don't like the 346 either. They port out nice, and make a lot of people happy, but if you are the least bit ham fisted with a saw, it will disappoint.
Myself, I have a woods ported 046 with the big bore on it. You can have that saw when you pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
As for pulling a 32" bar, in softwood, sure, no problem! But stock, if you get it in some hardwood, it's a long hard day for both of you! Just saying!
I doubt you will be unhappy with either saw for the size wood you are talking about, and honestly, I'd go with the lightest saw that will to the job. It sounds like a 372 to me in this application!

Man, I wish I could find one for $475. It'd make my decision a whole lot easier...lol. I'm with you on the Stihl torque. Something about that is pulling me in the direction of the Stihl saws. You know you got it bad when you keep watching youtube videos of the saws you're wanting to buy.....:blob2: I know it's gonna be a 460 but I'm having a hard time letting go of the money. If it had the antivibe of the 362, it'd be a done deal. Now the 362 has everything I want EXCEPT the power.

And therein lies the rub, it's very, very, veeeerieee easy to have too little power (ask my 290 that now belongs to someone else and got replaced with a fresh 038 Mag II) but it's dang near impossible to have too much power.

Have you ever heard anyone on this board be like "damn, I wish my 460 (insert 394, 660, 880 2101, etc.) had just alittle bit less snort"

I want a new 440 and if that happens the 460 goes for the 1st 4 franklins.View attachment 187480I belive it was sold new in 96.No way to know for sure because my BIL can't remember and it was not registered. Heck, I don't even remember what year I bought it from him, but its a good saw.

Latest posts

Back