I'm pulling my hair out over my next purchase.......ms460 vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you guy's hear what I have, 51 husky, 372, 044,660-2101, and with that line up I still use the 044 alot, and it still impresse's me. Definately a reason they brought em back for sure. Mine has held it's own for a long time. I dont use the 51 my 20 inch saw, as much as I used too. Those 44's, and 372 arent much heavier than a 20in size, and cut twice as fast! The 372 is newer to me, but I really like it. Love the 460's too have ran many. Impressive, but wont sell my 44 or 372 to get one LOL! Love to have one though may have to have six saw's. Even out the line that way it will be three of each BRAND!

In this case a 372 is an easy choice. Now if it's between a 660 or 372 THAT would be a tuff decision...probably why I bought both.:laugh:

I haven't been here for years.

It's been a long time since I've been here. I haven't been keeping up with saws for awhile, but the MS460 is a bigger saw in terms of weight. A little over 1 pound more.

The comparison is closer when looking at the MS440 vs the 372XP.

The MS440 and 372XP always hit a good sweet spot in terms of power to weight ratio. The MS460 is going to be a little more of each of those, I guess it just depend on whether or not the one pound of extra weight will really matter to you.

It's always tough to choose when shopping for a new saw.:laugh:

Everyone's frame of reference is a little different too...if you had multiple saws the decision becomes different.

I guess if I were going to have one big (70cc+ size) saw then I'd probably go with the MS 460.

If I were going to have a few different sized saws (i.e. 50cc, 70cc, 90cc) then I'd probably get the 372 XP.

The MS460 hits a good spot also, especially if someone was looking at having two saws but didn't need something like an MS660....like having a 50cc saw, and then having the MS460 as their one big saw.

Personally, I don't have an MS460 because I have the 660.
If I didn't have the 660, then I'd have the MS460 for sure.

If I had the MS460 then I wouldn't have my 440 either. That's the appeal of the MS460 in my opinion.

I tend to look at it from the perspective of how many saws, and what sizes. For me it was three saws in the 50-70-90cc sizes. Of course there's always a need for a 35cc sized saw. :)
FWIW I'd run a 372XP with a 25" bar, if I had an MS460 I'd put a 28" bar on it. Of course many people run longer bars on each of those saws.

Based on the fact that you already have a 50cc saw, and aren't looking at anything bigger than the MS460 (so it'll probably be your biggest saw for awhile). I'd probably go with the MS460 with either a 25" or a 28" bar (or both) depending on what you normally encounter.

Anyway, I know this probably didn't help much.....I figured I'd throw my opinion out there.

Have fun shopping for that saw if you haven't already decided.

Oh,

Hello again.

It's been a long while.

-Mitch

Last edited:
If you could find a 372xpw it might be closer in power to a 460 while still being lighter. I have an xpw I just got and love it.

The 460 is a little heavier than the 440 or 372 and has a little power advantage also. If you need the extra power and want to deal with the extra weight then 460 would be a good choice.Other than that, a 372 or 440 would be lighter and a little more nimble.

Latest posts

Back