"In tree" gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basic gear in addition to harness and main line:

20' Lanyard on right side,
Silky zubat and secateurs on left side
Three spare biners
Three loop runners
First aid kit
Wedge
Cell phone
Water

Everything else gets sent up as I need it!

My kit's like Bermie's but only 1 or 2 biner/loop pairs and no wedge. Always have bandana and camera, often video. Secateurs are hand pruners; very useful for prunes. Bermie do you use Felco or Fiskars?

It's kinda strange that here at *Arborist*site the assumption is that the reason to climb a tree is to cut it down. :confused:

re Zen, here is the blurb for my Climber's Corner session at ISA this July--

ZEN AND THE ART OF AERIAL INSPECTION
Haiku:

Arborists inspect,

Translate body languages,

Inform the ground-bound.

In aerial inspections, the climber’s job is to be the eyes and ears, and part of the brain, of the consultant, client or employer. This demonstration will go through the inspection process, describing the proper use of probes, mallets, tape measures, digital cameras, videocameras, resistographs, increment corers, pole pruners and other sampling equipment.
Climbers can do a lot of work that does not involve a saw. Consultants are assigned to inspect trees to assess risk, diagnose pest problems, assess lightning and other damage, among other tasks. Binoculars are useful for inspecting the crown, but often a closer look is needed. Decay should be measured so strength loss can be calculated.

Forks with included bark and cracks must be assessed before support options can be decided on.
Pest problems must be identified before treatment is prescribed. The upper side of branches may be damaged by sunscald. Often the consultant cannot inspect the crown thoroughly enough to complete the assignment, so a climber must perform an aerial inspection. The climber’s job is to be the eyes and ears, as well as part of the brain, of the consultant.

This demonstration will go through that process, describing the proper use of probes, mallets, tape measures, digital cameras, videocameras, resistographs, increment corers, and other sampling equipment. Ways of communicating with the primary consultant to clarify the assignment will be discussed, as well as what other signs and symptoms may be important to document. Some of the vocabulary of the body language of trees will be defined. Different strategies for documenting observations will be demonstrated and reviewed.

Methods of assessing feasibility and premeasuring and determining the best locations for support systems and routes for lightning protection will be demonstrated. Any wounding in the course of these services is better done at nodes, where there is more physiological activity to fuel wound response. Lightning conductors are best run on the underside of any lean, so future climbing activities and falling debris does not dislodge the fasteners.

Every Champion Tree in the US Big Tree Registry needs to be remeasured every ten years, or they lose their status. That status is often called into question due to differing measurements, especially on height. There is never any question about height measured by a tape drop. Champion Tree assessment poses a great challenge and a great opportunity for the modern tree climber.

Practicing and marketing a wide range of aerial inspection services can help arborists climb higher in the business of arboriculture. :cheers:

one week left for early bird reg! http://www.isa-arbor.com/conference/resources/Reg_online.pdf

I would say that the crew leader needs to have a phone for emergencies, whether he be a climber or not. As far as rec climbing on your own. It is suggested that one carry a whistle. I do all of my hunting now in an agricultural area where phone reception is not a problem. There are spots where I don't get reception though. I have started carrying a whistle/compass combo just in case I need to signal for help. I believe that that is a little overkill for working though.

I have also started to carry my figure 8 on every climb. I kind of got away from doing that for awhile because I wasn't using it too much in the tree. However, it occurred to me that I need a quick way to be able to rap down in the event of an accident or emergency like disturbing a bees nest. As long as you have a split tail rigged you can get down pretty fast but sometimes I don't have it tied on my line when I first go up. Plus, if it gets damaged in an accident and you are injured it might be difficult to tie a traditional friction hitch and would take more time. I used to carry my rescue 8 on the very back of my saddle clipped on with a biner but I now carry it in my possibles bag on my hip so I can access it easily in case I get injured.

My 8 is always on the belt, either on a back loop or the 'D's. I always come down on the 8. I've heard it's better for the rope(?)

I didn't carry a whistle 'til recently. I could always whistle through my teeth as loud as any plastic whistle. Then I got smacked in the lip by a branch - could not make a sound. Now, I got a little orange plastic whistle on my left suspender and small first aid kit on my right.

One of the most important things to bring along on a climb is your level head and clear thinking. Get you head on straight before leaving the ground. I like to climb and care for trees mostly for the mental stimulation. So that's my addition to the list, healthy brain and a bucket on it to meet the unexpected.

water

when ya'll say water, is it brought up in bottles, camelbak, etc? I just have bottles sent up by rope periodically.

Water & other 'non-belt' gear

when ya'll say water, is it brought up in bottles, camelbak, etc? I just have bottles sent up by rope periodically.

lh3 - I bring up water the same way you do.

This brings up a good point. Most of the posts have been about gear on the belt. What are the preferences about other gear to climb with: chaps, helmet, gloves, boots, etc.

Chainsaw proof pants 365 days of the year. Not a fan of chaps. Helmet, safety boots, fingerless gloves, ear and eye protection and most important of all, a long sleeve cotton shirt. I have enough scars thanks.

I wear blue jeans, long sleeve wrangler(denim) work shirt, steel toe steel shank leather boots, helmet, eye and ear protection and leather gloves. We don't have the standards ya'll have overseas such as "safety boots" and chainsaw protective clothing, although it is probably the safest way.

I climbed in chaps once. Talk about annoying. I don't mind using them when felling or bucking on the ground but not in a tree. Maybe I'll pony up the bucks for some chainsaw resistant pants one day.

just bought a pair of chainsaw pants from a coworker cause they were too big for him. probably wont ever wear em though, unless i know i'll be on the ground all day cutting.

flipline on the left D that clips into the right D ring.

handsaw hung from left loop.

4 biners clipped to a kong biner (with various length slings and 1 for climbing purposes only) onto the left accessory rings behind the D's. (closer to my left butt cheek)

figure8 on a biner clipped to the ring on the very back of my saddle.

saw bungee on the right hip.

1 accessory biner with a troball clipped to the strapping that connects the bonsun seat to the saddle on the right.

1 accessory biner clipped to the left side on the strapping that connects the seat for when i need to coil my rope and let it hang short on crane rides. i will also hang my 2nd climb line from this biner if it is needed (coiled up of course).

might sound like a bunch of **** to the "old schooler's" but i touch almost all of that stuff on every climb and if it doesnt get touched, well at least i have it and dont need to call for anything. nothing gets hung up either.

personally i'd rather climb with all i need on me as i go up. that way i can do my job as you do yours. that and continuously pulling the rope up and down in the tree gets old quick.

Last edited:
btw. if you dont climb with a biner/troball combo on your saddle you are totally missing out. no need for having to make the rope bullet with it on your saddle.

i dont have any spliced eyes on my climb lines so when i slide the scaffold knot off the biner on my bridge i can slip it onto the biner/troball and chuck it around in the tree so much faster than you can even think of starting that bullet.

another secret i have no problem sharing. lol.

btw. if you dont climb with a biner/troball combo on your saddle you are totally missing out. no need for having to make the rope bullet with it on your saddle.

i dont have any spliced eyes on my climb lines so when i slide the scaffold knot off the biner on my bridge i can slip it onto the biner/troball and chuck it around in the tree so much faster than you can even think of starting that bullet.

Nice idea. Gotta get me a super heavy ball now.

Nice idea. Gotta get me a super heavy ball now.

actually just have the 10oz on the biner. the 12oz in in the troline "cube" on the line. usually if i am throwing that means i am about ready to climb so i am in saddle....need the lighter troball i just switch it out cause it is all right there.

the biner weight plus the 10oz bag is pretty good as is. but sure heavier could work.

I keep my flipline and climbing line on my right side, along with the chainsaw.
Left side has Zubat, a couple of biners and a rescue 8. Rescue knife hangs on a small (Keychain type) biner on my front center ring. That's my basic set-up. If I hang anything else (runners, slings, reach tool, etc.) it will usually be on my left. Everything else gets sent up via my climbing line

My cell stays in the truck. I do all my phone work in the morning, between jobs or in the evening. Otherwise it gets in the way of production.

attachment.php

Oooohhhh...I like that idea:cheers:
I also tie the scaffold knot...and have...how shall I say...'issues' with throwing:dizzy:

Oooohhhh...I like that idea:cheers:
I also tie the scaffold knot...and have...how shall I say...'issues' with throwing:dizzy:

Don't tell us you throw like a girl...

Turn in your honorary boys club card at the door. :buttkick:

I think I broke/fractured my pinkie at my last tournament. It's been 3 weeks and it is still swollen and and sensitive. I can use it but shaking hands hurts. I should go see the doctor but I'm too chicken. Wait...did I just lose my club card too? :greenchainsaw:

I think I broke my hand or something about a month ago. Down in the metatarsals (sp?) or something. Heard there wasn't much they can do for it without losing use of your whole hand, just be gentle. Which is all good until you grab the saw wrong, or let some big guy give you a "manly" handshake. Then I wimper like a little girl again.

Damn, my card's gone too I guess.

I had a boxers fracture back when I was around 20. I went swimming in the cast and it started to stink so I cut it off. Now my little pinky sticks out when I drink a beer. Please don't revoke my man card... :)

I had a boxers fracture back when I was around 20. I went swimming in the cast and it started to stink so I cut it off. Now my little pinky sticks out when I drink a beer. Please don't revoke my man card... :)

Ouch, that's gotta be embarrassing...

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back