Information on Tanaka saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard good things about the Tanaka saws, and they do have a 7 year consumer warranty. I am seriously considering buying one of the 33EB saws over the past couple days, it has a $50 Visa card rebate and they can be had on ebay for $200.

The reason I would consider the saw is that Bailey's has the 1/4" sprocket to convert it over to 1/4" pitch. While a tad pricey at $32, it still provides a quality carving saw at less than $200. They have a Walbro carb and the cylinder is chrome (I believe many of the Stihl cylinders are chrome).

You might check out the Hitachi as well. it sure looks like the same saw and carries the same warranty. I was looking at one at Menards a few weeks ago. They weren't offering the gift card but it seems that they were on sale for around $150 It seems very "plasticy" and chineese. Could this be the next Ryobi type deal?

CS33EB16_warranty_web.jpg_prod_lg.jpg

tanakachainsaw20006.jpg

It's the same saw, Hitachi own Tanaka, but the Tanaka which I have is made in Japan, it's got it all over it.

Not sure about the CS33EB, though when I was in the dealership I think it had a made in Japan sticker on it, the Tanaka version of the saw, this is.

I'd get a Hitachi CS33EB over the Ryobi's which are sold in the UK.

The smaller saws, 33cc or so are excellent quality! weight is comparable the Stihl 170/180 class. Build quality is good!!! Parts can be a problem though as there are not too many dealers around. Have not had experience with larger saws

I am not interested in buying one, but would like to know more about them so I don't say something dumb like that again without knowing wtf I am talking about.

The best way is don't comment. Just read it and go on. That way you don't have to back peddle later. Just my thought...Bob

You might check out the Hitachi as well. it sure looks like the same saw and carries the same warranty. I was looking at one at Menards a few weeks ago. They weren't offering the gift card but it seems that they were on sale for around $150 It seems very "plasticy" and chineese. Could this be the next Ryobi type deal?

CS33EB16_warranty_web.jpg_prod_lg.jpg

tanakachainsaw20006.jpg

My first saw was the Homelite 33cc ranger from the DPOT. @ the time 11 years ago it sold for 130 w/16" b/c. Could this Tanaka be compared to the 33cc Ranger?

If I had this Tanaka 33cc to choose from @ the time I would probably still have it around to be used, although I still have that Ranger I never use it. It has 3 year old spider webs all over it by now.

Last edited:
The best way is don't comment. Just read it and go on. That way you don't have to back peddle later. Just my thought...Bob

Sometimes words don't come out the way you want them too. I see myself doing it sometimes and yes reading and going on is the way.

My first saw was the Homelite 33cc ranger from the DPOT. @ the time 11 years ago it sold for 130 w/16" b/c. Could this Tanaka be compared to the 33cc Ranger?

If I had this Tanaka 33cc to choose from @ the time I would probably still have it around to be used, although I still have that Ranger I never use it. It has 3 year old spider webs all over it by now.

No the Tanaka is much better that than the Homelite you describe. It compare more to the older small Echo line, cs290 and the like

No the Tanaka is much better that than the Homelite you describe. It compare more to the older small Echo line, cs290 and the like

That would probably be a better choice for me at the time and I probably would be using it still today as my 14"/16" saw. The ranger cut a season's worth one time that had about 2-3 cords worth of logs in 3' diameter x 10' long. After I eventually cut those logs I immediately bought my first stihl 041.

Anyway from the pics they look like they did a nice job putting it together, especially that it has a quick filter access unlike the 4 bolts that need removing on the ranger.

I never used or seen one in person but it's nice to know options for smaller saws available that are more affordable.

The Hitachi is the same saw. I was bidding on one at the bay, but got bid out. These are quality built saws with a walbro carb and a chrome cylinder.

Back