Introducing myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey folks. My first post here. I have been lurking the site for a bit but never joined until today. I am a wood nut & hobby miller/woodworker. The closest I am to being anything professional is billiard cues. I cut & mill a lot of the woods I use in the cues. I specialize in incredible figured & oddity woods. I recently bought my first band mill, a small Lumber Smith portable. It was enough to hook me on band mills. It was a relatively inexpensive way to find out if i'd like band milling. I'm now considering a much larger Linn mill. I'll probably get it this fall so to start the season with a fresh mill. I have read lots of threads on the forum here & have picked up some pretty handy tricks, but most of all just enjoyed the reading. Anyway, here's a few pics of what I cut & what I do with it. Nice meeting you all.

Redbud slab:
jun10032.jpg

Burly mystery tree, old timers call it tame sumac:
jun10030.jpg

Hickory burl:
coolwood010.jpg

Desert ironwood:
ironwood001.jpg

Cue I built using east indian rosewood, koa, & birdseye maple:
tommyt001.jpg

Stunning dude, totally stunning. The pool cue is a work of art.

Welcome to the AS forums. I hope you continue to dazzle us with your work.

The work is absolutely beautiful. Welcome to AS site. Keep posting the pics of your work, it's nice to behold. I spent quite a few of my younger years in pool halls, making money and wasting time. Enjoyed your post, keep us updated.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I can utilize a lot of the smaller disfigured trees & brushy stuff that folks never really see in the lumber market. It's a lot of fun. The cues actually pay for all the saws & tools, so it's kind of a self supporting hobby. Here's a few more pics:

Maple burl slabbed & a cue handle blank rounded from it:
Clandiswood002.jpg

Cue made from birdseye maple & mun ebony:
qcs001.jpg

Cue being made from gabon ebony & redheart:
vf10001.jpg

Tulip rosewood and ebony:
sugartreecues009.jpg

And my favorite so far is ebony, narra, & ivory:
show001.jpg

Hi

Hello, that is awsome work you do.Really very talented. Nice stuff.Welcome from one :newbie: to another :newbie:

And here's some wood nut pics of stuff I have either cut & milled or got in rough form & resawn & milled into pieces for my cues. Not much but a little insight to what I do. I'll post more pics as I go. And I hope to tap yall's brains for milling advice & such. I'm considering a CSM for wide slabbing. I also make rustic furniture from time to time. This site is great. I'm not the only wood nut LOL There are others like me.

White oak burl split center so I could slab each half:
jun10034.jpg

Curly red oak salvaged from the stumps left over by loggers:
sawmillgoods009.jpg

Mulberry from some logs I milled. They came from people's yards in the town I reside:
sawmillgoods010.jpg

Desert ironwood being slabbed:
sawmillgoods004.jpg

Hello, that is awsome work you do.Really very talented. Nice stuff.Welcome from one :newbie: to another :newbie:

YEAH, what he said! (Hey Joe, you aint no newbie, it says by your name you're a "senior member" --how bout dat!) LOL!

Hey folks. My first post here. I have been lurking the site for a bit but never joined until today. I am a wood nut & hobby miller/woodworker. The closest I am to being anything professional is billiard cues. I cut & mill a lot of the woods I use in the cues. I specialize in incredible figured & oddity woods. I recently bought my first band mill, a small Lumber Smith portable. It was enough to hook me on band mills. It was a relatively inexpensive way to find out if i'd like band milling. I'm now considering a much larger Linn mill. I'll probably get it this fall so to start the season with a fresh mill. I have read lots of threads on the forum here & have picked up some pretty handy tricks, but most of all just enjoyed the reading. Anyway, here's a few pics of what I cut & what I do with it. Nice meeting you all.

Redbud slab:
jun10032.jpg

Burly mystery tree, old timers call it tame sumac:
jun10030.jpg

Hickory burl:
coolwood010.jpg

Desert ironwood:
ironwood001.jpg

Cue I built using east indian rosewood, koa, & birdseye maple:
tommyt001.jpg
Absolutely beautiful work. For guys like me who are not nearly talented enough to do art work like that it is always stunning to look at. Welcome to AS and good job being respectful and seeking advice. There is truly a wealth of knowlege here. Speaking for myself only, I am very adept at taking a tree and turning it into perfect chunks of firewood. That is the extent of my talent, so if you ever need help there just PM me.:dizzy:
Seriously, you have immense talent. Rep on the way.
Stew and K9 partner Ajo...:cheers:

Thanks for the warm welcome & kind words, fellas. I humbly offer anything I have learned if it helps anybody. And i'll sure be asking for opinions & advice. Again, thanks.

I'll get pics of my mill set-up shortly. It's not much to look at, pretty simple, but it does a neat job & is very versatile.

There's several folks here that are into knife building. You might consider getting into making knife handles.

Latest posts

Back