Is a Husky 181XP a good saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was looking at getting another med. to larger saw.I found a 181 XP and was wondering if it is a good saw.It is pretty much new hardly ever was used by prev. owner.Is this a good saw to modify also?Was there any model year better than the other?If this is not a good saw what would be better choose then?

It is a great saw, precursor to the 288, very durable.
I am not aware of a 181XP, I know there were 181SE's, You probably have one of the last ones before they were discontinued

Don't see many of 'em where I live, but Husky also sold a 281. Pretty much the same as 288, but smaller bore. I'll bet the 181SE is very similar to 181Xp is similar to 281.

About 5 cu in, but not enough better performer than the 272/372 to justify a bigger price tag new. Very good saw if you can get a well-cared-for unit at a fair price. In my area you never see either one used...the pros use 'em up, then save 'em for parts for the next one they buy, and the wannabes like me never part with 'em.

husky 181

Hello cliff,
I've done a lot of work on 181-281 huskys. They fit right at the top of the 5 cube class. excellent saw . The only problem we had with the 181 was if they were handled roughly by the fallers they would crack across the bar pad and leak badly. the early 181 had a chrome cylinder and a 5cc combustion chamber. very small compared to contempory saws . the later 181's and 281's had a 7.5 cc chamber and didn't make as much power. modified properly the 181 was the saw to use in the 5 cube class. the only saw that would stay with it was the 680 solo. the fallers loved the 181 because it made good power and was'nt too heavy in the woods.
ken
[email protected]

The saw was madse in 1986.Is this one of the years it was 5cc?
Ken,you said it "was" the saw to use in the 5 c.i. class how about now:D Also,did you get my e-mails?

Latest posts

Back