Is it time to retire the sledge and wedge and just noodle cut big rounds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recently bough a huskee 22ton splitter. before that, the splitting and lifting big rounds kept giving me pains in my stomach. Sharp pains that went from my belly button right to my johnson. Also happened this week after about a half hour of sawing and lifting big rounds into the truck.

Sounds like you got a hernia bud:msp_ohmy:

Wasn't there a steel rod in there holding it together ?
that one yes
2r3idrl.jpg

16 lb sledge is a bit heavy.

The expression "Anvil on a Stick" comes to mind.....

The X25 does everything I'll ever need, and if that's not enough, gas is cheap and I love hearing a 2-stroke running about 10,000 rpm's anyway !

I've got a bulge on my left lower back and have to take care of it. Everyone else should take care of their backs too. Our families depend on us, some of us aren't expendable.

i recently bough a huskee 22ton splitter. before that, the splitting and lifting big rounds kept giving me pains in my stomach. Sharp pains that went from my belly button right to my johnson. Also happened this week after about a half hour of sawing and lifting big rounds into the truck.

Yep, been there. Then a doctor stuck a tube up my johnson, cut into my belly button and install some mess down there where it had the burning feeling. Years of being stronger than smart caught up with me. Now I know how to turn the splitter vertical. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Vertical is fine if you have rounds you can handle without busting a gut or have the equipment to do it for you. (yes I have the tools) but I do not care for it. Something about groveling around on the ground after splits all day just isn't appealing to me. Each to his own though, now ifin ya got one of those vertical units that's 3ft off the ground that's another game.

Gas powered splitter. I finally gave up and got one. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Same here. I got tired of busting up gnarly pieces with twisted grain by hand. Even though I don't split that much wood, it has been nice to be able to hoist whatever I have to split up on the beam and let the hydraulics do the work.

Sounds like you got a hernia bud:msp_ohmy:

Hernia is a possibility. Does the pain go away when you lay on your back? Mine did. A bulge on the stomach or lower stomach is frequently also found. I had one. They do not heal but can get worse. On a lighter note, many people go years with a pad directly over the bulge holding in the intestines and actually the surgery isn't a big deal.

Hernia is a possibility. Does the pain go away when you lay on your back? Mine did. A bulge on the stomach or lower stomach is frequently also found. I had one. They do not heal but can get worse. On a lighter note, many people go years with a pad directly over the bulge holding in the intestines and actually the surgery isn't a big deal.

That is a sign of a hernia. I have heard that you get a big bulge from what ever is tore inside of you and it balls up. They have to go in there and perform surgery on it. Be careful and stay safe!

A 16lb sledge??!! Are you nuts? That's just gonna destroy your back. Each of us is built differently and likely has a different optimum weight to swing, but I find an 8lb is the maximum useful weight for me - and that's maybe even a bit too much. I'll admit to noodling more now than I used to, but only crotches so far - mainly so I can get something stackable out of it. I do like the idea of noodling just to start a notch for the wedges, and I plan on trying that once the deluges stop.

Was there something in those ash rounds? How old were they? I split a lot of ash, it's most of what I burn, and I find a lighter sharper tool works better than blunt mauls. It tends to crack if you can get the axe to penetrate.

We all have different tastes but 16lb, you must be a big dude. For me the 10lb is perfect and much more productive than the 8lb. Yes I frequently slice a notch with a chainsaw in the ends of the big ones to start a wedge. Just stand up a few and go down the line making X's in the tops. A casual, round house, continuous swing with a sledge hammer is easier for me than a maul many times. Let the hammer do the work. We share our methods here but 16lb??? I've never known anyone who could last long on one of them.

It takes maybe a minute to noodle a big round with a good saw. I don't see why anyone would fool around with big stuff. A bad back stays with you forever.

Was going to grumble and whine a bit about all the parts that hurt me at 48.... mainly back. But with a 78 year old thread starter, and a 77 year old pal chiming in with a post saying "it's mostly all good"..... I think I'll just skulk on over to the corner with a hint of my pride and shut up.

We all have different tastes but 16lb, you must be a big dude. For me the 10lb is perfect and much more productive than the 8lb. Yes I frequently slice a notch with a chainsaw in the ends of the big ones to start a wedge. Just stand up a few and go down the line making X's in the tops. A casual, round house, continuous swing with a sledge hammer is easier for me than a maul many times. Let the hammer do the work. We share our methods here but 16lb??? I've never known anyone who could last long on one of them.

Guido uses those monster mauls, I think those are 17 lbs.

Guido uses those monster mauls, I think those are 17 lbs.

I do have a monster maul, almost forgotten and completely out of sight. I do remember I never was real fond of it except for the fact my son couldn't break the pipe handle out of it. Haha

I do have a monster maul, almost forgotten and completely out of sight. I do remember I never was real fond of it except for the fact my son couldn't break the pipe handle out of it. Haha

I tried one a long time ago and went no way, jose. Couldn't see myself swinging one all afternoon..not even for ten minutes.

Latest posts

Back