Is Shindaiwa out of the Chainsaw business?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophandle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was at an Efco dealer location today looking for a light weight 40cc homeowner saw. He had a new Shindaiwa 357 top handle that he said he'd sell for about $100 less than than the Echo CS400 and Husky 435 I've been looking at. This would be a ground saw for me.

I came home and looked on the Shindaiwa USA website and they have no chainsaw product listed. It was the only Shinny saw the dealer had and he said it was left over from a year ago. I didn't get into whether the warranty was valid and saw no other Shindaiwa product in his store. I looked here but see very little about this saw compared to posts about Stihl, Echo, Husky top handles.

Can someone shed some light? If the 357 is discontinued are parts still available? Is that saw worth $200 new with no warranty? I have used a top handle for years and they work ok for me on the ground.

Yup, no more Shinnys being made. Believe Echo took over their chainsaw line.

Parts are still available, Edge and Engine handles them here, and the dealer should still be able to get you parts if needed.

I haven't ran their newer models, but the older models of saws and trimmers are very well made.

I would think the warranty would still be valid, but probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anyone care to voice an opinion as to whether the 357 would be a better buy for $100 less than the other 2 saws I mentioned?

To me, a Shindaiwa is worth $100 MORE than that Echo, so its a no brainer.

Yup, no more Shinnys being made. Believe Echo took over their chainsaw line.

[snip]

yep,, echo took them over

Shinny saws are still made and available, just not in the US.

It was a merger, the combined entity is called Yamabiko or something like that and the full Shinny saw range is still sold here (often alongside Echo) where they are big in the pro OPE market.

Just bought 2 prefilters for my Shindaiwa 757 high top on Thursday at my local dealer (after the dealer in Louisville told me they were NLA). They also had a gas cap for my PB-27 power broom in stock. I would go with the Shinny.

Last edited:
I've been told they pulled out of NA due to the EPA requirements and are still sold in Canada. Great saws IMO. I'm pretty sure the 357 has a reed valve so it will have some torque for a small saw. If i were you, I would buy the 357 and love it. If you decide not to please PM me the dealer's info so that I can. :msp_biggrin:

No Shindaiwa here either. The last ones they sold were rebadged echos and were not impressive. I tried 2 different 502's, which is an Echo of some sort and was supposed to be the replacement for the 488.

I'd buy a wild thing first.

Was at an Efco dealer location today looking for a light weight 40cc homeowner saw. He had a new Shindaiwa 357 top handle that he said he'd sell for about $100 less than than the Echo CS400 and Husky 435 I've been looking at. This would be a ground saw for me.

I came home and looked on the Shindaiwa USA website and they have no chainsaw product listed. It was the only Shinny saw the dealer had and he said it was left over from a year ago. I didn't get into whether the warranty was valid and saw no other Shindaiwa product in his store. I looked here but see very little about this saw compared to posts about Stihl, Echo, Husky top handles.

Can someone shed some light? If the 357 is discontinued are parts still available? Is that saw worth $200 new with no warranty? I have used a top handle for years and they work ok for me on the ground.

I have had the Shindaiwa 357 for several years. It seems less powerful than I would expect from 35cc engine displacement. After having been hard starting throughout my ownership, the most recent engine tuneup (new carburetor diaphragm, spark plug, carburetor adjustment) has made it easier to start. My closest frame of comparison is a 29cc Tanaka, also old. I use the Shindaiwa the least of the seven chainsaws in the shop.

Latest posts

Back