Is Stihl the Toyota of the Chainsaw World?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It seems Stihls hold their value very well. Husky's seem to mostly demand a decent price, but most other saws seem to vary wildly. Homelite used to be a good brand, but they seem to be ranked in with the Poulans price wise.

Hopefully, I'm not stepping on toes here, but I was just wondering if this seems to be the rule of thumb.

In my area, I can put a well used 290 Farm Boss on craigslist and some fool will pay almost retail. Have a mint Husky 55 that is probably a better a saw that I can't give away for $200.

It seems Stihls hold their value very well. Husky's seem to mostly demand a decent price, but most other saws seem to vary wildly.

This is very true, in the last month I've sold a Husky 365, and MS361 both in clean good running
with new bars and chains. The bigger Husky sold for 75$ less than the MS361, I know demand
is higher for 361's than 365's but I was seriously surprised.

In general Stihl's do retain more value on the open market, but Husky saws like 372's and 346's
in particular hold their value extremely well.

If you can pick up any complete Stihl saw, running or not for under 100$ it's money
in the bank.

My 2004 standard cab 5speed 4x4 Tacoma: Zero problems since purchased used in 2008.

My 2008 Stihl MS390 purchased new: broke an oiler within first tank of gas, was fixed under warranty.

Result: Toyota wins!:rock::bday::rockn::kilt:

Local conditions also play a role. If you are in the scrub pine barrens of south Jersey there is probably not much demand for a 70+ cc saw. If your nearest Stihl dealer is 3 hours away there may also be less demand for their products, especially if there is a good dealer pushing another quality brand close by.

I don't care for the analogy comparing to Toyota. I really don't see any extra value in their products, but when shopping for a vehicle I'm a full size truck buyer. They don't really have anything that trips my trigger.

Stihl saws do demand a premium. I have sold an 041 av for $275, a 028 without chain brake for $175, and a ms460 for $525 that was pretty ratty looking (new on the inside though). When I sell Stihl saws I get calls and people don't question the product.

However, I did just sell a Husky 345 for $220 with a couple extra chains and manuals. It was clean, but also ten years old. You can buy a new 445 for $309.00 at Farm and Fleet.

Whenever I sell a saw I'm truthful and put a heck of an add on CL. Nothing sells without pictures! I can not stress that enough.

M

IDK, this just seems silly to me. I have never bought a new chainsaw to re-sale ad turn a buck on. It is not a car, boat or ATV. This is like buying Snap-On wrenches over Craftsman because later on it will be worth more when I sell it. At the end of the day it is a chainsaw, nothing magical, nothing that important of a life decision that I'm going to scrutinize that if one day I might sell this that I will recover the minimal cost of owning it. IF this were thousands of dollars we were talking it might make more sense to really look into it....however it is not!

I don't like Toyota for my own reasons. I don't mind Stihl.

My 2004 standard cab 5speed 4x4 Tacoma: Zero problems since purchased used in 2008.

My 2008 Stihl MS390 purchased new: broke an oiler within first tank of gas, was fixed under warranty.

Result: Toyota wins!:rock::bday::rockn::kilt:

My stuff, similar results, except.............1956 John Deere 40U, used almost daily for nine months out of the year, minimum 15 hrs/week. No hour meter, no tach, not much green paint left on it, uses no oil or coolant, no frills, no idea of engine hours but many. Regular maintenance, one radiator repair, one needle & seat in the carb, that's it for the 40+ years I've owned it, don't know about the PO. My other JD stuff, similar results, my '64 JD110 mowed for 34 years, now it runs in parades somewhere locally.

Result: JD wins at my farm, hands down! ;)

Perhaps a better analogy woud be,

Is Stihl the Microsoft of chainsaws? In the Publics eye there is Stihl, and all the rest.

Someone on here had a sig that read something like this,

"When you catch CAD, buy Stihls, when you finally come to your senses they are easier to sell"

If we're comparing Chainsaws to cars, I would say that:

Stihl = Honda, Toyota or maybe even Mercedes:
Hold their value incredibly well. Will last a lifetime if properly maintained, and - just because it has their logo on it does NOT mean its perfect- both companies make some "so-so" models at the bottom end of their product line.

Husqvarna = Mazda or Nissan:
At the top of their spectrum they are just as good as anything else on the market. At the lower end they make some real stinkers.

Dolmar = Subaru
Probably as well built as anything else on the market, but less well known. Has a devoted following.

There are many ways to rate the "value" of something. How much you can sell it for in terms of dollars is one. How much you can do with it in terms of the number of hours you must work to purchase it is another. How about how much you can accomplish with it for the fuel used? I suspect there are going to be a lot of changes coming in terms of what people will be willing or able to pay for things, as well as to what the value of a dollar is, so that measure may become somewhat meaningless.

top gear

I don't care for the analogy comparing to Toyota. I really don't see any extra value in their products, but when shopping for a vehicle I'm a full size truck buyer. They don't really have anything that trips my trigger.

Stihl saws do demand a premium. I have sold an 041 av for $275, a 028 without chain brake for $175, and a ms460 for $525 that was pretty ratty looking (new on the inside though). When I sell Stihl saws I get calls and people don't question the product.

However, I did just sell a Husky 345 for $220 with a couple extra chains and manuals. It was clean, but also ten years old. You can buy a new 445 for $309.00 at Farm and Fleet.

Whenever I sell a saw I'm truthful and put a heck of an add on CL. Nothing sells without pictures! I can not stress that enough.

M

--you need to see those Top Gear episodes with what they did with a toyota hilux, when they tried to kill one..there's a reason why when you see most any documentaries from around the world, you see what the locals are driving for trucks (hint:this truck) where there are no roads of note, just ruts, no man made hard surface driving, and what they can haul and do in them things, with minimal to zero upkeep.

Killing a Toyota part 1 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Top Gear - killing a Toyota Pt 2 - BBC - YouTube

Top Gear - killing a Toyota Pt 3 - BBC - YouTube

If we're comparing Chainsaws to cars, I would say that:

Stihl = Honda, Toyota or maybe even Mercedes:
Hold their value incredibly well. Will last a lifetime if properly maintained, and - just because it has their logo on it does NOT mean its perfect- both companies make some "so-so" models at the bottom end of their product line.

Husqvarna = Mazda or Nissan:
At the top of their spectrum they are just as good as anything else on the market. At the lower end they make some real stinkers.

Dolmar = Subaru
Probably as well built as anything else on the market, but less well known. Has a devoted following.

you forgot echo = ford pinto or chevy vega:D:D:D

you forgot echo = ford pinto or chevy vega:D:D:D
Back in the '90s these guys were fast, and obviously having fun:

pns3.jpg

Pinto Racing Page One

Tacoma or Hilux as its known in our neck of the woods is only the afterbirth of a Land Cruiser and really not worth 2 bob down here as a workhorse, load a Hilux up and you would want to make sure you were pointing down hill if you wanted to get home... I'm not bias just because i have a Cruiser, they are a fairly soft piece of turd as well, but twice the truck of a Hilux, The patrol is a lot better built truck, probably not as capable off road as the Toyota but will spend less time on the hoist than one when used hard.

But anyway i can see the op point, used Toyota (4wd's) do seem to hold a good re-sale value as do Stihl saws, so...

Anyone want to trade a 95 hzj75 with a 2008 ms660 and a 2009 ms460 in the tray, will trade a 2005-up 4.2 td patrol with a pair of new 372 huskys...:D, because i'm offering a Toyota and Stihl's it has to be at least a straight swap or cash my way of course...:laugh:

Maybe the diesel Hilux is gutless, but the 22RE isn't bad for a workhorse. It could have more power, but I haven't had any trouble other than wishing it would hold more wood.

Suitable for more than wood

Maybe the diesel Hilux is gutless, but the 22RE isn't bad for a workhorse. It could have more power, but I haven't had any trouble other than wishing it would hold more wood.

heh heh heh , when you got woodnappers raiding your firewood stash, you need to be prepared!

Military Toyota 4x4s

I can't find the pic or I would post it. Saw one once, taken in whoknow'swhereistan, that had like thirty dudes and goats and chickens and like luggage and sacks of feed and whatnot HEAPED up over a hilux, I mean, a two story tall moving pyramid of stuff going across some terrain, wasn't even a road. It was really cool, but I can't find it right now.

IMHO, like em or hate em Toyota is the best in cars anyway. But thats such a broad description. I guess I believe for the "average joe" Toyota is the best-just my opinion. I've never had a vehicle hold up like a Toyota. With the exception of Honda. And still, I believe Toyota help up a little better. But as far as chainsaws, i think about anyone would agree Stihl will bring more money. They have the best Marketing for chainsaws in the world IMHO. Dosent mean they are the best though. But they do seem to bring a premium all things equal. But like Gink said, its really a moot point.

Latest posts

Back