Is this Black Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Here's some more pictures! I almost killed myself going out to get this. We are in the middle of an ice storm!!! There was a layer of wet ice on these.. It's sleeting out now!

attachment.php

I don't want to sound like an ass but you aren't listening, this picture is NOT Black Locust it is Honey Locust. Not all Honey Locusts have large thorns and Black Locust is yellow.:monkey:

Yup - thats honey locust and the first pics are not a mystery at all. Its elm. We can keep pretending its some exotic tree though... Lets try Afromosia..

I don't want to sound like an ass but you aren't listening, this picture is NOT Black Locust it is Honey Locust. Not all Honey Locusts have large thorns and Black Locust is yellow.:monkey:

Nope your nas an ass. It is honey locust then. Ok kewl.. And elm tree.

I thought BL had a greenish tint to it?

Locust is Tough and Dense

+1 on the Honeylocust.

I've changed my mind and agree with Dusty Tools. It's probably honey locust, and I have one growing in my front yard. It has no thorns and only produces a couple of vestigial pods a year. There are several varieties of locust trees. Let it dry before you split it and baby, that logsplitter will work its butt off.

Locust is as dense as oak, yet fast growing, tough as nails, and makes good mallet heads. Here's a mallet that I made using locust and walnut:
Mallet1-1.jpg

I've changed my mind and agree with Dusty Tools. It's probably honey locust, and I have one growing in my front yard. It has no thorns and only produces a couple of vestigial pods a year. There are several varieties of locust trees. Let it dry before you split it and baby, that logsplitter will work its butt off.

Locust is as dense as oak, yet fast growing, tough as nails, and makes good mallet heads. Here's a mallet that I made using locust and walnut:
Mallet1-1.jpg

Why should I let it dry before splitting? Shouldn't I split it now so it dries faster?

Latest posts

Back