Is This Normal When Buyer a New Chainsaw at a Dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just an oil cap... enjoy your new saw. Of the 2 brand new Huskys I bought, 1 was a display (XP) and the other they gave me a boxed unit (450).

Around here, pretty much every saw shop has most or all of their saws for sale on display, and typically you buy them off the shelf. Generally they are not sold out of the box (at least not Stihl or Husky saws). Usually there are more than one of each type. They would all likely replace any scuffed or problem parts though. For Stihls, they are required to test them, service it, and fill it with gas and oil. Though I request that they not do that as I have better gas for my saws than they usually do. They usually comply. I have never gotten a bad new Stihl or Husky. I found one saw on the shelf at the Husky dealer here once that they would NOT sell me. It was a clear demo model 346xp 2nd ed saw. It was cool as all hell, but they said it belonged to Husky and they could not sell it to me under any circumstances. They have since returned that saw to the company.

Here is the saw shelf at Madsens, one of the largest saw shops in the universe. Husky or Stihl, name your poison. Pick your desired saw out of the lineup and buy it. If you wanted, they would probably pull one out of a box for you and put it together. Also the 'back room' service center there is open and the first thing you pass going into the store, so you can see what they are doing. No Shenanigans.

Madsens saws.jpg

A display model at a dealer is a whole lot different than a display model at a big box store. I probably wouldn't have a problem buying one but would certainly ask for something off. As for that oil cap, I'd go back and ask for a replacement. Worst case, they say no.

Like windthrown says....the stihl dealer I go to puts the saws together, then puts em on his display shelf after a test "run". Thats where they sit until someone takes em up to the counter to take home. Most times he has multiples of each model so you can pick which one you want.....No credit/debit cards...he joked that's almost un-american one time when I asked...lol. Hand written receipts, an old calculator and tax card cheat sheet:). Needless to say he will work off msrp

All of my saws look terrible. On the outside. Inside they have a great sheen of H1r, fresh mix, a clean filter, and most importantly, a slightly rich tune.

If that display saw had any demo use on it i would be returning it in a heart beat. I'm one of the guys where if a dealer tried to sell me a display saw without any kind of a discount i'd be insulted though. Only new out of box virgin saws for me. I'm the one who's gonna scratch it up.

Last two saws i bought were 372XP off the shelf, and 550XP from a shipment that just arrived to his dealership. Each time, he asked me what size bar I wanted on it, took it to the back room maintenance area, cut a new extra chain, put gas & oil, ran them for operation checks, stared me in the eye and said shes ready, go run her. There is no doubt in my mind, that if I wanted a new oil cap for any reason, he would trade me out, but I've also spent more than a penny there and he knows that I take care of my equipment. An oil cap aint worth losing a deal over. Taking a saw back because of an oil cap and I'd venture to guess that mentally he would classify you as "high maintenance' and then decide if he wanted to keep your business.

To me, if you are paying for a new saw, you should get e new saw. Give me a discount if you want to sell me your display.

Live a positive life!

We sell off the shelf. Displays aren't typically on display long enough for them to get damaged. With that said, if a customer requested one out of a box, I would happily comply. I'd do anything within reason to create a happy, satisfactory experience for the customer. Another saw has to be put together either way, either for you the customer, or to replace the sold display.

I've had several saws (new to me) that had stuck oil caps. I didn't put any marks on the caps getting them loose.
For some reason, all the "NEW'' saws I have bought were never run except at the factory. I never had a reason to take one back to the dealer for anything.
The ones that had been run were sold to me as demos.

I'm really curious how some of you guys buy your cars?
Let me turn that around a bit. How do you like it when they want to play locator within 500 miles and don't think you should care how many miles are on it because it has a new warranty instead of ordering one the way you want it? I ordered and waited but it was surprising how some places just want to play locator.

In this case if the cap was just on too tight not cross threaded in a plastic tank it is just a cheap indication of the type of mechanic work they do. I would be more concerned they sold an earlier version than what they had in the back or it was a demo unit.

Latest posts

Back