It's Super and it Splits...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up the SS at the terminal yesterday. Went down to the land to grab a few test pieces too. I got it all assembled last night but it was too late to start it up, so tonight I tried it out. They are fast!

Here's pics of the unload and unpack. Durn thing is heavy. I'm not a fan of how they packed it. It was well protected, but you had to basically disassemble half of it and then put it back together. The part that got me was "use some sort of lifting device capable of holding 1000 lbs to lift it off the pallet to get the production table off of it from shipping, so you can put it back on the right way" (more or less). Ummm let's see...ummmm no, this isn't an industrial shop, and I don't have a gantry crane handy.... Jeez guys. Maybe you could set it up so it didn't require that? OK, if you have 2 guys, you can lift it up on sawhorses, but if you don't you will struggle. My mushed finger says I didn't have help...but I got it up on sawhorses eventually.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then tonight I used it to turn this:
attachment.php

Into this, in about 20 minutes or so as a first run:
attachment.php

Overall, I like it. I think they could really improve the design and reduce the cost a bunch with by putting some engineering effort into it, but that's just the engineer in me that can't stop.

Sunday it will get started on the 25-30 cords we have already pulled out....

Last edited:
Video

Can anyone see the video I can't. I can see the pictures though. I want to get a super split next year. This year I'm going to get a conveyer hopefully.

Welcome to the club... :cheers: The machine will actually get a little faster once it breaks in. The assembly can be interesting if you don't have a shop equipped to handle it, but if he were to ship it assembled the shippng cost would be a good bit more. The only thing I really would like to see changed on the machine is its mobility.

Nice and quick that's for sure. Seems to me by your video one would spend the time saved splitting moving around the table to retrieve/adjust pieces, such as the larger one that got pushed off. Some long reaches for pieces too.

That all probably comes with practice I guess.
I'd still get one if I ever find that money tree :biggrinbounce2:

Congrats on a fine machine!

Haven't used mine much , but I already love it!

I thought the crating, packing was very good. I used a come-a-long to lift, worked great.

Like MN said, the only thing I would change / add, is a better way to move it around. I might add a removable hitch, to pull it around with the ATV.

Sunday will be the day of the big workout for it. He is bringing it over here so we can chew on the big pile of wood we have hauled off his land. I have spent thousands of hours splitting wood by hand, and with a 4 way (and fast) woodsplitter. I have even gotten some handle time on a Timberwolf processor. So I am waiting with baited breath to get this SS cranking so as to see how fast it really is. If anyone can make it crank out the wood I am the one. :)

Stay tuned, I can read a piece of wood like an open book so I believe I will be able to get some good out put through that SS.

Nice splitter!.. they make it look so easy. Has anyone ever seen one stall on some wood?

I stalled it on a knot I didn't catch. Stalled the engine too, but it says in the manual that might happen during break in until the clutch loosens up and gets less grabby.

As for packing, it is well packed, just a bear to get upright due to weight if you don't have help or a lift of some sort. I'm not sure it would cost more to ship if it was standing on the legs or not. I'd leave the wheels off for sure. The table is one of the big problems for packing.

I can see how it would help a lot to position this so you feed in wood from the engine end and just dump it off the far end of the table as you work. You also want to tweak the first split so that the next one doesn't push it off before you can re-split it (like in the vid). Basically just angle the far piece so the next one doesn't catch it. That one was like only the 3rd block I had split, so I figured that trick out while filming...

We're going to need to add some kind of hitch to it for moving around. Getting it back up in the truck for the trip to CC's place is going to be interesting as I probably will be flying solo again. It would be nice if I had my tractor here, but it is off site for storage.

Yeah, learning what to do with the pieces that need a resplit will help a lot. It took me a few rounds, but I can work it well, without a piece hitting the ground. The table is a real nice! Once you get into the rhythm, you will not want to change a thing.

I stalled it on a knot I didn't catch. Stalled the engine too, but it says in the manual that might happen during break in until the clutch loosens up and gets less grabby.

When mine stops in a bad piece, I just disengage the ram, before the motor stalls, and hit it again. Usually goes through the second time. I've yet to stall it, were the motor stalled out.

Does anyone in the cenral PA area have one of these things? I have seen a lot of videos of them in action but I don't know if I can be sold on one until I see it in person.

You may be surprised. The machine actually slices wood that doesn't split easily, rather than crushing it as a hyd unit does. I'll have to go look for some to split.

It looks like it would slice things more from the look of the wedge. I can usually split elm that has been standing dead for a year or so by hand (with my fiskars) but not the green stuff.

I like the idea of the super split, but so far have only seen videos of it splitting chunks that split fairly easily. (Or does it just make it look easy??? :))

Back