I've got a saw buying dilemma. Need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why I've been engaged for 5 years ;)
Have seen better men than me under the kitchen table hiding from their wife in the foetal position sucking their thumbs.

That will never happen here but a little mutual respect goes a long way! ;)

I have a Craftsman 42cc yardsale special that set me back $15. While it lacks AV and a chainbrake, it does a fine job cutting smaller wood and stumps. Buying a new MS180 to clear ATV trails doesn't make much sense to me. Actually, buying any of the newer, small Stihls doesn't make sense to me in that you can't adjust the carb.

Save your $$. Run your Craftsman and Poulan until they die, and you'll have a good reason to buy a new saw without resorting to deception.

Save your $$. Run your Craftsman and Poulan until they die, and you'll have a good reason to buy a new saw without resorting to deception.

Some of the best advise yet!

Plus the Poulan/Craftsman could easily have an early demise.....hint/hint:)

I have a Craftsman 42cc yardsale special that set me back $15. While it lacks AV and a chainbrake, it does a fine job cutting smaller wood and stumps. Buying a new MS180 to clear ATV trails doesn't make much sense to me. Actually, buying any of the newer, small Stihls doesn't make sense to me in that you can't adjust the carb.

You make a good point. Everytime I've ever done anything behind her back I've always got caught and it's never been pretty. Usually costs me something big to get back on her good side.

The problem is the :censored: Craftsman just won't die. Ran it hard for over two years. Probably 25 cords. Have let it sit in the case for the last nine months. Pulled it out a couple days ago, primed it and 4 pulls later she's running like I just sat it down after a couple hours of cutting.

I would keep the saws you have until some of them dies. For just firewood, you should get along with the 310, although it can't be that fun to use..
Either keep them and let'em die one bye one or sell them all and buy a nice one, 346, 361, 372 or something.. Hiding stuff from your wife is a bad idea. I did it this way: I was talking for 6 months about how bad I wanted a 372 or 2171. So one day she got tired of hearing it bought me the 2171 as wedding gift ;)

I had a MS170 that I liked except for one thing, non ajustable carb! Couldn't tune it so that it ran the best, I got rid of it on ebay and got a MS260 pro. I also have an Echo cs330T that I like alot and it does have a adjustable carb.

Last edited:
Didn't we just have this thread about a year ago? :cheers:

You make a good point. Everytime I've ever done anything behind her back I've always got caught and it's never been pretty. Usually costs me something big to get back on her good side.

The problem is the :censored: Craftsman just won't die. Ran it hard for over two years. Probably 25 cords. Have let it sit in the case for the last nine months. Pulled it out a couple days ago, primed it and 4 pulls later she's running like I just sat it down after a couple hours of cutting.

Don't do it behind her back.

I can go out and buy a new saw today and my wife wouldn't blink. Heck I could even buy 2 if I wanted. Why? Because I buy when I need to buy and don't go bananas. In other words, she trusts that I am doing the right thing and that is bolstered by the fact that I discuss my purchases with her (or at least let her know before or right after the purchase is made).

Like has been said already, run the saws that you have until one dies, or sell one or more of them off and buy that new saw that you want.

HTH

PS .... I want a 361 or maybe a 372xp, but can't justify it to myself right now so will not be buying one unless I run into a great source of wood and can make good sales this year. My wife knows how I am so if I do buy one she knows that there's a good reason for it.

Good luck! :cheers:

Good thread here.....but let me ask this question.....

I'm only cutting firewood. I want a small(ish) saw with an adjustable carb that is lite in weight and would be great for cutting up limbs and such.

I do have a Poulan Pro saw, but the plastic gas tank leaks like crazy and I really don't like using the saw. I'm not brand loyal, but I really, REALLY do love my Stihl MS-361. :cheers:

Like I said, my argument for a new saw is weak. I just want one.

Your argument is weak? You've cut 25 cords with the Craftsman? Imagine how much time you could have saved if you had done all that with a 5100! There's your argument! Let her pick what she wants to do with the extra time.

Psst, there's a used 5100 for $325 in the tradin post!

"Psst, there's a used 5100 for $325 in the tradin post!"

Sorry mate!! :greenchainsaw:

Another vote for selling off what is not going to be used and pooling money for a new "shiney thing". Newer saws are not only more efficient but safer to operate... or so I tell my wife.

2Door

Lmao!!!

I buy what I want, when I want...of course I'm on my 3rd wife!

Yeah,,,been there done that....
I still wanna 460 or 7900 next year...Buying a good saw is like finding a good woman...Might look great and all,,but will it be with ya for a lifetime....

RB in VA,
Yep, funds went out Monday. I am very excited to try it after all the good press it gets.
Weather today has me eager to get in the woods. I will have the best line up of saws I have ever owned by the time I start cutting. Started at 15yr with an 028...

2Door

Well I got all of that figured out. Sold some wood to a co-worker, sold the Poulan to another co-worker and gave the Craftsman to a family in town that can't afford a saw and scrounges what they can with a handsaw. I'll be taking them out to my property this weekend and cutting up a standing dead elm for them.

Point is, all of the money is accounted for with the wife and she's cool with me getting a new saw. I think it was the donating the Craftsman that won her over on the new saw idea.

Decided to go with a Dolmar. Nothing in the small Stihl lineup that really looks great. The limit is $500 or so. No Husky dealers anywhere close. I'm thinking Dolmar. Now that I got rid of the two saws in the lineup that could be considered limbing saws. So the question is 420 at $289 or 5100 at $394? 14" and 16" bars respectively.

The 370 and 510 are out because the next step up is only $15 to the 420 and $45 to the 5100 at the dealer I talked with.

From what I under stand the 5100 just has 1000 rpm's more that the 510. Some say not worth the extra $$.

I gathered this because I am gonna buy a Dolmar 510 and asked about the 5100. The dealer said if I was trying to be cost effective, then go with the 510 since I wouldn't get alot more for the extra $$.

Again, thats what I understand from a discussion, other wise I don't know what I am talking about. I am new here!!!!:chainsaw:

Or you could get a 6401 with your money now. That won't be too costly. And put the 7900 kit on it. And you'll have your big saw, in two smaller investments rather than one big one. I am working on that as we speak....:cheers:

Back