Jred ignition parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the initial test and stall out.. Took it inside, pulled the plug,,,,,pulled it through, no spark.. I am curious to the sound of the very short run... Sounded like it was running very very lean.. ie screaming, similar to running out of gas.. Which it wasn't.
The previous no run thing.. also pulled the plug, pulled it through... no spark... no run.. At that time I was fairly certain it was not carburation or fuel,, ( lack of it ).. Electrical.. I'm waving the white flag.

After the initial test and stall out.. Took it inside, pulled the plug,,,,,pulled it through, no spark.. I am curious to the sound of the very short run... Sounded like it was running very very lean.. ie screaming, similar to running out of gas.. Which it wasn't.
Have you pressure tested the fuel line between the carb and filter or visually inspected it for cracks, splits etc?

Have you pressure tested the fuel line between the carb and filter or visually inspected it for cracks, splits etc?
No, not pressure tested, but was replaced after I found a leak at the carb nipple.. It came in the package in a small coil looking thing. That's also when I learned of a weighted filter for keeping in the fuel. Does your question mean pressure test with a gauge ? Which I do not have.. Shouldn't I still get a spark ?

No, not pressure tested, but was replaced after I found a leak at the carb nipple.. It came in the package in a small coil looking thing. That's also when I learned of a weighted filter for keeping in the fuel. Does your question mean pressure test with a gauge ? Which I do not have.. Shouldn't I still get a spark ?
Yes tested with a Mityvac or similar

You should still have spark but these early electronic igns need to be pulled over as fast as you can to make a visible spark. They don’t discharge nearly as well at low rpm as a points ign

Well if it's not the usual suspect, which is the module, then it obviously could be the coil...
I'd assume you tried disconnecting the stop switch wire?

How fast did you pull it when checking spark? It will not spark if just pulling it over slowly. If you didn't have spark it wouldn't start. How do you know it's not running out of gas? Did you inspect the carb and fuel lines. Those saws are notorious for air leaks at the intake manifolds. I'm going to sell my 630 but I haven't got around to it yet.

New set up.... Still no spark.. Could I have a bad new one ? One of your posts lists a Jred 630 for sale, is this saw available ? Thank you for your previous help with this problem.. Yet it continues.
I honestly don't remember having posted anything for sale here, but I have a pile of 630's, at least 6 complete and another 4-5 in pieced.
Very strange you had a start and then nothing. First thing I would try is disconnecting the kill switch and checking again.

I honestly don't remember having posted anything for sale here, but I have a pile of 630's, at least 6 complete and another 4-5 in pieced.
Very strange you had a start and then nothing. First thing I would try is disconnecting the kill switch and checking again.
There is a footnote on your posts... In it is a list of saws.. Specifically a 630..The note starts with "too many saws to list". As for mine, I put the drill on it today and actually got a spark.. ( with the switch unplugged). I have another switch .. cantdog pointed me in the direction of the fuel line,, will investigate further when I can get back to it.. Quite awhile ago when the fuel line was replaced, I looked for the grommet for the fuel line to the tank.. I remember it said dis-continued and did not get replaced. That is suspect.. It has not been turned sideways for some time.. Still interested in another 630 cause I like em..

There is a footnote on your posts... In it is a list of saws.. Specifically a 630..The note starts with "too many saws to list". As for mine, I put the drill on it today and actually got a spark.. ( with the switch unplugged). I have another switch .. cantdog pointed me in the direction of the fuel line,, will investigate further when I can get back to it.. Quite awhile ago when the fuel line was replaced, I looked for the grommet for the fuel line to the tank.. I remember it said dis-continued and did not get replaced. That is suspect.. It has not been turned sideways for some time.. Still interested in another 630 cause I like em..
On the saw parts breakdown it shows the grommet in the line.. I remember not being able to get it before.. I'm checking again, possibly a Husky part. I'm not up on the particulars, but trying my best.

But not having the grommet would not make the saw not run, only leak like crazy if on it's side. I suspect you need to do a carb clean and rebuild. Get an OEM Tillotson Kit RK 23 HS....and a new (correct) fuel line.
And another aside thought......if you've been running this saw for a while without a grommetted fuel line you may have simply clogged your filter with debris......

And another aside thought......if you've been running this saw for a while without a grommetted fuel line you may have simply clogged your filter with debris......
Thank you again for outlook and experience.. I have a recent order from Amazon.. Fuel line, filter, and just because a smaller bar cover for my 240.. I think the pieces came from 3 different places.... Found that out the hard way after check out,,, simply put, confusion I did NOT need or ask for.. That grommet did show a leak.

There is a footnote on your posts... In it is a list of saws.. Specifically a 630..The note starts with "too many saws to list".
Ahh, you mean my signature, not really a list of things for sale, but things are always for sale at the right price. Last time I counted saws I stopped counting at 210... LOL
All of the 630's I have are very early saws, mostly 83/84 with one 1982 in the mix.

Ahh, you mean my signature, not really a list of things for sale, but things are always for sale at the right price. Last time I counted saws I stopped counting at 210... LOL
All of the 630's I have are very early saws, mostly 83/84 with one 1982 in the mix.
"Unavailable, out of stock, and dis-continued parts ".. May I Please have some more of that good stuff.. The more reading I do the less I like chainsaws.. Fact is I'm addicted to my wood stoves and all things connected to them.. Not sure why any-more.. The intake tube for the Briggs and Stratton 6.5 on the splitter is now tie-wired together to keep it on the motor.. Also, out of stock when I looked it up.. Seem to be able get tie wire though. I now takes two hands to start.. One to hold the butter-fly, the other to pull the starter.. Maybe next I'll try the cordless drill with the recoil removed.. Just can't wait.

"Unavailable, out of stock, and dis-continued parts ".. May I Please have some more of that good stuff.. The more reading I do the less I like chainsaws.. Fact is I'm addicted to my wood stoves and all things connected to them.. Not sure why any-more.. The intake tube for the Briggs and Stratton 6.5 on the splitter is now tie-wired together to keep it on the motor.. Also, out of stock when I looked it up.. Seem to be able get tie wire though. I now takes two hands to start.. One to hold the butter-fly, the other to pull the starter.. Maybe next I'll try the cordless drill with the recoil removed.. Just can't wait.
Still interested in the 630's.. Just trying to realize why.. Can't get parts,,,, can't get ammunition for half of my firearms.. But I still love em.. Please offer me a deal I can't refuse. Talk about gluttony.

How fast did you pull it when checking spark? It will not spark if just pulling it over slowly. If you didn't have spark it wouldn't start. How do you know it's not running out of gas? Did you inspect the carb and fuel lines. Those saws are notorious for air leaks at the intake manifolds. I'm going to sell my 630 but I haven't got around to it yet

Fuel line collapseosis. Is that a word ? it is now.. Right at that grommet thru the tank. Following your prompt, gave me new determination... didn't make sense at first, till I got pissed and yanked it out. That old grommet and line through it needed a stint. That grommet was in there but less than happy.. Immediately pulled some of the " in the tank hose " up to the carb, connected it. With a new coil and "better hose" took it outside to test.. It fired about 6 pulls later.. clicked off the choke and wham it took off.. Ran like a scared whore... Shut it off and danced all the way back to the bench.. I will wait for the new hose w/ grommet and filter to show in the mail and install before complete assembly. Not sure if I will do the carb now or later..... Love you guys, (no kissin).

Back