Jred ignition parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ignition is separate from the heated handles. The blue wire coming out of the case above the coil area is the wire from the stator which is the power for your heated handles.
You saw definitely has a 288/242 style iginition, which is odd, and that adapter bracket for the pickup coil doesn't look homemade.
If you remove it, you would be able to bolt the "proper" style pickup coil on without issue. I think you could go either way on that saw with the parts that you have there.
Personally I have both ignition sets in stock in my shop, but the 266 style coil is much more common, so I would probably go that route.
Looking at the IPL's I see no mention of using that 242 style ignition on a 630, so I am curious where exactly that adapter bracket came from, if it is indeed not a homemade part.

The ignition is separate from the heated handles. The blue wire coming out of the case above the coil area is the wire from the stator which is the power for your heated handles.
You saw definitely has a 288/242 style iginition, which is odd, and that adapter bracket for the pickup coil doesn't look homemade.
If you remove it, you would be able to bolt the "proper" style pickup coil on without issue. I think you could go either way on that saw with the parts that you have there.
Personally I have both ignition sets in stock in my shop, but the 266 style coil is much more common, so I would probably go that route.
Looking at the IPL's I see no mention of using that 242 style ignition on a 630, so I am curious where exactly that adapter bracket came from, if it is indeed not a homemade part.

As far as I know, that saw is as it was when purchased new.. There has only been one person in that saw besides me.. Simonians from CA. as it was sent there because of the same " not running condition". While I was out of town... This time translates to the second time for a no run... Start up, run a bit, then quit. I find this whole episode disturbing at best.. (trying to be polite, not flat out vulgar). Like all of us , I want a quality, dependable tool.. Not a piece that we want to use, yet simply does not cooperate. The help and advise received here is the BEST and I thank everyone for their input.. Sadly, it's not over yet...... Good thing I have two other saws, and pretty well caught up feeding two stoves..

As far as I know, that saw is as it was when purchased new.. There has only been one person in that saw besides me.. Simonians from CA. as it was sent there because of the same " not running condition". While I was out of town... This time translates to the second time for a no run... Start up, run a bit, then quit. I find this whole episode disturbing at best.. (trying to be polite, not flat out vulgar). Like all of us , I want a quality, dependable tool.. Not a piece that we want to use, yet simply does not cooperate. The help and advise received here is the BEST and I thank everyone for their input.. Sadly, it's not over yet...... Good thing I have two other saws, and pretty well caught up feeding two stoves..
Confused on the adapter bracket removal.. The bolt to the left and down a bit ?? I honestly don't know what the" proper" one looks like.. there have been references to ones I am not familiar with. Saw models I know nothing of. After reading other posts on selenoids, modules, magnetos. confoooosed... I have confidence in my ability to use them, keeping them well oiled and sharp,, and large pile the wood,, not so much wrenching on them..

Confused on the adapter bracket removal.. The bolt to the left and down a bit ?? I honestly don't know what the" proper" one looks like.. there have been references to ones I am not familiar with. Saw models I know nothing of. After reading other posts on selenoids, modules, magnetos. confoooosed... I have confidence in my ability to use them, keeping them well oiled and sharp,, and large pile the wood,, not so much wrenching on them..

Sorry your confusing me now. I thought you already bought a replacement ign setup from LRB? Your picture in post #5 shows the "proper" module. I also showed a picture of the "proper" module in post #34. Not sure what else we can do. Look at the picture in post 34 again, look close to where the bolts go to hold it in.

My picture shows the right module bolted in, Robin showed how to set the air gap. No reason to be confused. Get it done, or take it to someone who can..

Yep......I'm a tad confused too......everyone who has chimed in with advise has said the same thing......in post #5 you show that you already have the needed parts (module on the left). In post #59 (pic on the left) you show the adapter (homemade or otherwise) held in by the bolt closest to the ID tag....remove this bolt and the adapter, install the module on the left in post #5 using the bolt just removed, set the air gap by my method or the business card method and pull the cord and go cut wood......it is not any more complicated than that......and no need to try and make it more complicated that that.. Not sure why you continue to cling to the idea that you still haven't been able "find" the "right" parts anywhere....or can't do this......stop dithering and "get 'er done"

I'm also very curious as to the origin of the 288 coil adaptor (post #59), while it could certainly be home made, it does have a factory look about it.
Maybe when the 266/630 modules became unavailable one of the big shops or distributors had a batch made up?
Should toss this subject up on the jonsereds thread...
Guy's like @taplinhill may have run across it at some point?

Your saw definitely has a 288/242 style ignition,...

Looking at the IPL's I see no mention of using that 242 style ignition on a 630...
Just an aside, and you're probably aware anyway... The 288 and 242 modules, while being effectively interchangeable, each have a core radius specific to the respective different flywheel diameters.

I'm also very curious as to the origin of the 288 coil adaptor (post #59), while it could certainly be home made, it does have a factory look about it.
Maybe when the 266/630 modules became unavailable one of the big shops or distributors had a batch made up?
Should toss this subject up on the jonsereds thread...
Guy's like @taplinhill may have run across it at some point?

I agree that bracket does have a factory look to it. I blew the picture up on my 32" monitor but just the straight on view makes it hard to tell much. I would like to see a angle picture of the bracket removed a picture of the case without the bracket as well. Its possible someone with a milling machine just did a nice job on making it, but with what we got to look at so far, its hard to tell.

What's an adapter bracket ?

That wire is what I had available.. Instead of going to buy something else.. That grommet got lost along the way, did not want to tape it.. LRB took the time to call on the phone and offer an " exchange " after identifying a difference in the coils... Clearly, there was / has been a problem in determining the correct part.. That picture of the Husky sure looks like a good replacement.
That wire is what I had available.. Instead of going to buy something else.. That grommet got lost along the way, did not want to tape it.. LRB took the time to call on the phone and offer an " exchange " after identifying a difference in the coils... Clearly, there was / has been a problem in determining the correct part.. That picture of the Husky sure looks like a good replacement.
Adapter bracket.. I did not know the name or function of this. Usually, left over parts are bad.. Sorry.

Attachments

• 20230116_175113.jpg
    20230116_175113.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
What's an adapter bracket?

Alright, I'll give it a go and try to spell it out...

The machined part circled in green is a bare metal adaptor/bracket that allows the module that was on the saw to be affixed where it normally would not be. It would normally be on the husqvarna188/288 family of saws not a 630v. None of us in the thread here has ever seen this bracket/module combo on the h266/jred630 family of saws before now (other than that I pictured something of a similar nature in post #31 that was a homemade deal I had experimented with years ago).

The screw circled in yellow holds that adaptor on and when removed the adaptor comes off.
The hole that remains in the saw case is what the 'proper' module for a 630 (pictured top left in your post #5) uses to mount, along with the one closer to the flywheel.

Attachments

• 630 coil bracket.jpg
    630 coil bracket.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
New mag & mod, took it outside to fire it up.. It started,, clicked off the the choke / high idle, it ran approx. 5 seconds then quit.. All that grief didn't fix squat.. Same thing it was doing before.. Just can't get any better... Also a fresh plug.. I did not change the kill switch............

Attachments

• 20230121_122344.jpg
    20230121_122344.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230121_122400.jpg
    20230121_122400.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
New mag & mod, took it outside to fire it up.. It started,, clicked off the the choke / high idle, it ran approx. 5 seconds then quit.. All that grief didn't fix squat.. Same thing it was doing before.. Just can't get any better... Also a fresh plug.. I did not change the kill switch............
Possible bad new coil ?? I dunno. Anyone experience a " no spark" from a new set up ?

Attachments

• 20230122_081415.jpg
    20230122_081415.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
New set up.... Still no spark.. Could I have a bad new one ? One of your posts lists a Jred 630 for sale, is this saw available ? Thank you for your previous help with this problem.. Yet it continues.

Attachments

• 20230122_081415 (1).jpg
    20230122_081415 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Well you have spark or it would not start at all. Which brings the question of what made you think it was an ign problem in the first place?
After the initial test and stall out.. Took it inside, pulled the plug,,,,,pulled it through, no spark.. I am curious to the sound of the very short run... Sounded like it was running very very lean.. ie screaming, similar to running out of gas.. Which it wasn't.

Latest posts

Back