Just 12 days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least it's great weather for trophy car turd growin. I estimate this set to be about a 180 on the Boone and Erickson scale (a like to the first person who can tell me where I got that from).

yvynedeg.jpg

jeve5ezu.jpg

All things come to an end, however.

vy6yjesu.jpg

AW come on Steve Ya all got some room in that wheel well yet. With that lovely rain /snow / freeze down we got last week I think the salting truck came back in weighing more than when I went out with it.

We have set the 2nd snowiest winter record this year. Best snowmobiling in years and the gas prices have not been all bad either considering. Trails are in great shape because the majority of the sissys are staying indoors watching soaps. My ice fishing buddies say it has been a very good year also. No worry's of the river thawing during the shiver on the river. I am getting my evens with the summer loving freaks to. May even get some to move south if this cold will just hang on another 60 days.
I am a bit tired of the wind that keeps blowing the snow around and drifting places I don't want it.

Some seem to think we are going to have a baby boom. I just can't get my head around people whining about the cold so much getting nakid LOL.

:D Al

Sounds like WCCO. Growing up I was convinced that was the only station my Dad's car could get.

Winner! Grew up listening to those guys, especially on the snowstorm days, waiting to see if our school made "the list". I still listen to 'CCO late night on the way home from work.

They weren't dead. They literally freeze solid and produce a cryoprotectant in their tissues, which allows them to thaw out in the spring. Amazing little creatures.

We didn't have any last fall...well very, very few. They claim it's because the dry 2012 season killed most of the moths that make them.

oops...
http://www.businessweek.com/article...s-dot-government-never-saw-this-winter-coming

The Official Forecast of the U.S. Government Never Saw This Winter Coming
By Peter Coy February 18, 2014
(Corrects description of Polar Vortex in the fifth paragraph.)
Surprised by how tough this winter has been? You’re in good company: Last fall the Climate Prediction Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicted that temperatures would be above normal from November through January across much of the Lower 48 states. This graphic shows just how wrong the official forecast of the U.S. government was:

From my experience, the Farmer's Almanac is the best place to go for next year's weather predictions. As for gov't predictions, that's no surprise, they get everything wrong.

Nice morning again today only minus -22f on my way to work, calling for lows around minus -25f tonight. the cold train just keeps on rolling. My water line froze last week to my shop at work, no water in the shop now until probably May. The frost is a good 10 feet deep where snow has been plowed away.

Lost the water line at shop 2 weeks ago Sat., repaired on Mon. Last Sunday the water main out front blew. City fixed it by 8am Mon. Then we got the couple warm days and the rain/ sleet/snow which pretty much got rid of the skating rink, called a road, out front. I have a feeling its going to get problematic along the rivers this spring.
Almost forgot - spring has sprung - got an add for swim wear from Wally world in the spam folder.

Weatherguesser reports a "mini-warmup" next week, might stay above 0 for a day or two. BUT - next weekend will be back to the same again. (I miss that bang head smiley)

Ice fishing for game fish closes tomorrow, I ain't putting the auger up yet though, probably gonna need it for "Spring" opener May 3rd...

I personally like winter. there are so many things to do. I suppose that spearing in a shanty or even jigging for fish would be enjoyable. I am just not a hard water fisher man.
I like to call coyotes, cross country ski, snowmobile and cut fire wood during the winter. How ever there are days even I just don't want to be out side in like near zero temps and 20 MPH and up winds, and blowing snow.

On those days I will set down at the reloading bench and knock out a bunch of primers from rifle and pistol cases then reload them some other blustery days.
Is also a good time to set up the Mec 9000G press and reload all those 12ga. hulls and the second 9000G and reload all the 20ga. hulls I have on hand.

Is a good time to tie fly's, assemble spinners from the supply's bought from net craft. Is also a good time to touch up the paint on chiped lures and even make some with the dremel tool.
is also a good time to refinish that rod you bought at a yard sale with the chips and nicks as well as guides missing.

I also like to clean out the gun safe and give every one some fondling that I haven't fondled for some time a lightly oiled rag is nice to fondle with.
Today is one such day 4F out side 22MPH wind on weather station and blowing snow hiding the grove of pine trees just 40 yards away.

Did I say I really like winter?

I also am sure we will see some record flooding this thaw if it thaws fast.

Latest posts

Back