Just 12 days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary morning. A seldom seen brightness is outside and shadows are on the wall inside. The sun has moved far enough around that it will beam into the house now. We haven't seen it for a couple of weeks. Where did I put the sunglasses? My rain gauge that The Used Dog drinks out of shows 8 inches of rain has fallen in that time. I don't have a formula to calculate loss due to Labrador thirst.

Oh and 40 degrees outside right now. Maybe a shorts wearing day? Oops, summer may be over, clouds are blowing by.

Scary morning. A seldom seen brightness is outside and shadows are on the wall inside. The sun has moved far enough around that it will beam into the house now. We haven't seen it for a couple of weeks. Where did I put the sunglasses? My rain gauge that The Used Dog drinks out of shows 8 inches of rain has fallen in that time. I don't have a formula to calculate loss due to Labrador thirst.

Oh and 40 degrees outside right now. Maybe a shorts wearing day? Oops, summer may be over, clouds are blowing by.

No sun in a couple of weeks and all that rain,you're right i don't want to move there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be a lot warmer in Iowa than here in MN. I am getting called back to work either next week or the week after to go to Iowa and do some excavating! They say only 18 inches of frost there under the snow?

Ted

Must be a lot warmer in Iowa than here in MN. I am getting called back to work either next week or the week after to go to Iowa and do some excavating! They say only 18 inches of frost there under the snow?

Ted

Minimal frost here either, had enough snow cover to keep it insulated. My dairy farmer buddy reports that it's possible to dig a pair of deep holes using nothing more than tractor tires and an idiot behind the wheel. He was crabby going out to wake up the big 4x4 when I heard this story.

Me and the weather? I've gone completely bat-guano crazy, and I guess I'm good with that. Wanna know how bad I've got cabin fever? I actually kinda like working right now, it gives me more people to aggravate. It's been suggested that I might be suicidal as well, just by the fact that I've reverted to summer driving speeds regardless of snow, ice or whatnot. Get outta my damm way!

If we ever get back to 40, my fat ass will be in a hammock outside with nothing more than a pair of shorts on - I frickin swear!

Signed,

Cranky Cheesehead.

I just tried to get to my back wood pile and I am here to say "THERE'S A LOT OF SNOW OUT THERE" !! got hung up in 3 feet of hard crusted snow and stuck, had to shovel out front and rear of all 4 tires to break free of the high center!! when I broke down to dirt the mud flew so "there's not much here for frost i am here to say"......

I just tried to get to my back wood pile and I am here to say "THERE'S A LOT OF SNOW OUT THERE" !! got hung up in 3 feet of hard crusted snow and stuck, had to shovel out front and rear of all 4 tires to break free of the high center!! when I broke down to dirt the mud flew so "there's not much here for frost i am here to say"......

How far away is this wood pile? just saying if it wasn’t ridiculous far away, by the time you attempt to go drive through three feet of snow you might have hauled back several sled/tobaggan loads with much less effort. I don't know your situation though, your stacks might be a mile away or something. edit: meant to add you need snowshoes. Not wading through 2 to ten feet deep snow, that's silly...... once it got past knee high, snowshoes!

When I lived in maine in a little cabin I did all my personal firewood for heating, cooking wood and maple sugaring wood by hand, including dragging it out. Bowsaw, axe, some crosscutting. Winter time was snowshoes and a plastic sled andf a junky toboggan and sometimes a car hood. I cut and hauled year round. All my wood was stacked in what passed for a front yard. A weeks worth went on the porch, a rotating 3 days inside on the back wall behind the stove, and up on an over the stove combo food drying rack and winter time last dry before in the stove rack. The main stacks outside covered with whatever crap I could scrounge. I never used a motorized anything to do that wood, 4 cords to five for heat and sugaring, one to two extra for year round cooking.

I had a small chainsaw then, that's was for paid work, fenceposts and a couple cords a year to sell some small quantities now and then. Totally different, that I did in the summer with a real old small tractor and a manure spreader to haul stuff out and a buzz saw. My own stuff, 100% done and hauled out by hand. No snowmobile or anything. Heck, didn't even own a car then, just a bicycle.

Anywho, I found dragging out wood was easier in the snow then during the dry non snow season. Less friction and mess, no bugs.

Of course I had to go back later in the summer and cut the stumps off, get a little more wood that way. I cut at snow level.

No wonder you moved to GA. But those were the good old days. NOT!! Been there, done that. I'll take a chainsaw and a tractor any day.:D

How far away is this wood pile? just saying if it wasn’t ridiculous far away, by the time you attempt to go drive through three feet of snow you might have hauled back several sled/tobaggan loads with much less effort. I don't know your situation though, your stacks might be a mile away or something. edit: meant to add you need snowshoes. Not wading through 2 to ten feet deep snow, that's silly...... once it got past knee high, snowshoes!

When I lived in maine in a little cabin I did all my personal firewood for heating, cooking wood and maple sugaring wood by hand, including dragging it out. Bowsaw, axe, some crosscutting. Winter time was snowshoes and a plastic sled andf a junky toboggan and sometimes a car hood. I cut and hauled year round. All my wood was stacked in what passed for a front yard. A weeks worth went on the porch, a rotating 3 days inside on the back wall behind the stove, and up on an over the stove combo food drying rack and winter time last dry before in the stove rack. The main stacks outside covered with whatever crap I could scrounge. I never used a motorized anything to do that wood, 4 cords to five for heat and sugaring, one to two extra for year round cooking. ! lol it's only 3 feet to my firewood door t6o the wood box to the wood stove!! oh yes if I take the short way around the south eighty acres before I drive around the other side of the house??? or something like that..... ???? lol

I had a small chainsaw then, that's was for paid work, fenceposts and a couple cords a year to sell some small quantities now and then. Totally different, that I did in the summer with a real old small tractor and a manure spreader to haul stuff out and a buzz saw. My own stuff, 100% done and hauled out by hand. No snowmobile or anything. Heck, didn't even own a car then, just a bicycle.

Anywho, I found dragging out wood was easier in the snow then during the dry non snow season. Less friction and mess, no bugs.

Of course I had to go back later in the summer and cut the stumps off, get a little more wood that way. I cut at snow level.

! lol it's only 3 feet to my firewood door to the wood box to the wood stove!! oh yes if I take the short way around the south eighty acres before I drive around the other side of the house??? or something like that..... ???? lol

BWAHAHAHAHA! Well, I don't feel too sorry for ya then! hehehehe three feet and stuff.....need a wood tunnel!

No wonder you moved to GA. But those were the good old days. NOT!! Been there, done that. I'll take a chainsaw and a tractor any day.:D

Naw, long story, but I basically moved just because I got young guy lonely too much. When I caught myself going "Hmm, good looking white tail doe there..." I decided to head to where some other hooman beings of the female kind might be.

;)

I liked it up there just fine. Winters were OK, I got real used to it and was young and in great shape, the only thing I really didn't like was the blackflies. Everything else I liked though pretty much, sorta neat almost wilderness.

The mainers who grew up there thought I was nutz.....most likely a correct assesment... I lived another place with actual running water and electricity and stuff, but it wasn't as nice as the cabin in the woods.

i got mad yesterday and took the skidsteer to my whole yard. the heck with the piles of sod ill be raking out come spring. i got sick of not being able to move. been splitting wood for sale now. seems everybody else is out and they are calling me now. looks like ill be bringing my wood home this summer now. tree service gig might work out alright. now if it would just warm up to above 0 so i could stand to be in the air 60 ft again. or if the wind would let up it still wouldnt be so bad........................................

The economic numbers are showing a considerable hit from this horrendous winter, when spring does finally bloom it will be like wild dogs the cabin fever is so bad.

oops...
http://www.businessweek.com/article...s-dot-government-never-saw-this-winter-coming

The Official Forecast of the U.S. Government Never Saw This Winter Coming
By Peter Coy February 18, 2014
(Corrects description of Polar Vortex in the fifth paragraph.)
Surprised by how tough this winter has been? You’re in good company: Last fall the Climate Prediction Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicted that temperatures would be above normal from November through January across much of the Lower 48 states. This graphic shows just how wrong the official forecast of the U.S. government was:

Back