Just finished a BIG project.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
900 sounds kinda high to me, that would be heavier then water.. Probably more like 500-600 ;). I just put up a 6"x12.5"x 17' Doug Fir (air dried for 6 months) header, my BIL and I carried it and set it, it weighed maybe 300.

Well,maybe our ridges were not as dry as yours.......

The 28 footer I was referring to was kinda wet.I took a foot long off cut from the same stock and plopped it on a bathroom scale....30.5 lb's if memory serves me right.

The crane we used was designed for putting up signs....full extension on the boom gave it a max of 1000 lb's...so we figured the biggest pretty close.:popcorn:

Book density of SYP is .67 of water (+/- 20%) Even on the high side .80 of water, with 14 cubic feet, your looking at 62.37 lbs (1 cubic foot of water) x 14 x .80 = 698 lbs..

62.37 lbs x 14 cubic feet x .67 (normal density of syp) = 585 lbs

But heck maybe your softwood is heavier then water. Plop a piece in a lake and see if it sinks..

FRS, that is a very nice job you did. Any idea on the total cost to lockup? I like the dovetail construction, very sharp!

That looks like pine. If so, I wouldn't doubt that weight estimate. I know the 4"X16"X20' pieces I cut for my deck last summer were barely movable all by myself.

A couple months ago a sawyer job came up at a local timber-frame company. I'm pretty sure I would've been a contender since I was previously a sawyer at a sawmill, and also hold a AA lumber grading ticket and have seven years' experience at that. The problem was that they are located over an hour's highway driving from where I live, and the 125-odd miles on the road each day would've taken my monthly fuel bill from ~$100 to between $500-700 or more, and there was no way I could swing that with the pay rate and my current bills.

I saw that job, could be good, and could be a lot of stress. I think the company (forget their name at the moment) is decent though, I have spoke to one of their guys at the timber framing convention show.

Book density of SYP is .67 of water (+/- 20%) Even on the high side .80 of water, with 14 cubic feet, your looking at 62.37 lbs (1 cubic foot of water) x 14 x .80 = 698 lbs..

But heck maybe your softwood is heavier then water. Plop a piece in a lake and see if it sinks..

Silver box, IMHO, any beam, steel, wood or concrete, becomes at least twice as heavy if its placement requires being on a ladder with it. Or at least that's been my experience. I'd rather be on "terra ferma" :D

I saw that job, could be good, and could be a lot of stress. I think the company (forget their name at the moment) is decent though, I have spoke to one of their guys at the timber framing convention show.

I've been out to their site and looked at their operations before - they had an "open house" a couple years back where they allowed the public into one of their private houses that they built on-site. The house is built using a combination of techniques and materials to showcase the different things they can do. They do really nice work, and seem like decent people to work with, but I guess you never know until you're on the payroll eh. The company is run by the Zirnhelts, and I know that's in the company name but I can't remember exactly what it is.

FRS, that is a very nice job you did. Any idea on the total cost to lockup? I like the dovetail construction, very sharp!

Silver box, IMHO, any beam, steel, wood or concrete, becomes at least twice as heavy if its placement requires being on a ladder with it. Or at least that's been my experience. I'd rather be on "terra ferma" :D

attachment.php

Coal,about 350K with every screw,knob,and switch.Here's a close-up of some of the 'tails

Silverbox,my bath scale could have been way off for all I know,I stated it as an estimate and nothing more.....If I could,I would change my statement to "damn heavy". :dizzy:

I've been out to their site and looked at their operations before - they had an "open house" a couple years back where they allowed the public into one of their private houses that they built on-site. The house is built using a combination of techniques and materials to showcase the different things they can do. They do really nice work, and seem like decent people to work with, but I guess you never know until you're on the payroll eh. The company is run by the Zirnhelts, and I know that's in the company name but I can't remember exactly what it is.

Right, Zirnhelt Timber Frames

attachment.php

Coal,about 350K with every screw,knob,and switch.Here's a close-up of some of the 'tails

Silverbox,my bath scale could have been way off for all I know,I stated it as an estimate and nothing more.....If I could,I would change my statement to "damn heavy". :dizzy:
As in all crane lifts you have to include the weight of the rigging plus the cable, hook & ball.

Personally, I don't think 900 lbs is that bad an estimate.
I do know that a 6x12x28' beam would have 168 bd. ft. in it.
Around here we have Ponderosa pine. When loading a truck with green P Pine we figure about 5 lbs. per bd. ft., and it comes out pretty close when figuring load weight.
5 lbs. times 168 bd. ft. = 840 lbs.
Your figure of 585 lbs. divided by 168 bd. ft. only figures out to 3.48 lbs. per bd. ft. That seems a little on the light side for green Pine to me.
Maybe your book is using a specific MC for it's figures, probably 19%.

Bottom line is; it dosen't matter what the book say's, what matters is the DOT scales. :cheers:

By the way freehandslabber. Beautiful home, and excelent job no mater what the ridge beam weighs. :clap:

Andy

Well,maybe our ridges were not as dry as yours.......

The 28 footer I was referring to was kinda wet.I took a foot long off cut from the same stock and plopped it on a bathroom scale....30.5 lb's if memory serves me right.

The crane we used was designed for putting up signs....full extension on the boom gave it a max of 1000 lb's...so we figured the biggest pretty close.:popcorn:

Beautiful home slabber! I sure wish carpentry didn't take such a hit with this economy. :(

I went to a wet/dry (species specific) wood weight list. . . I averaged 6 weights together, and came up with 45.5 pounds per cu. ft.--that would put your 28' beam in at 637 pounds. . . Just using the highest wet weight on the list, it was 52 ponds per cu. ft.--making it 728 pounds. Your bath scale said the drop piece was 61 pounds per cu. ft. . . . Very plausible. Like you said, damn heavy. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Metals,means a lot.

Here's a pic of the inside early on....1X8 T+G bead board....around 40 square of it altogether.:dizzy:

I always preferred laying the T&G on top of the vaulted ceilings. . . A lot easier on your neck and back IMHO. You get to face nail it all on; you're not working over your head all day; it allows the hand-stacked roof to be seen and appreciated--etcetera.

We mostly used what was referred to as "Structural T&G", because it was 2X6 material. Once it was laid down over the rafters, BCI's (I Joists) were laid directly over the same layout as the Timber Rafters (stacking). . . The I Joists were then insulated with 'closed cell foam', and 5/8" plywood laid over them (as in a regular roof). This made ventilation a non-issue, water penetration would be all but impossible, even with severe failure in the finished roof, and the insulation value was fantastic.

Being that it was such a thick roof (just like SIPS), the fascia was rather large, but looked good. Of course, careful attention had to be paid to the dead load, snow load, and wind load because of the extra weight.

Yea,we did alot of the same things....6" polystyrene panels,we used 2x8's for the secondary framing,and topped it off with 3/4".....then the metal roof.It never did seem to end and yea,the fascia came out around 20"

It makes for a really sound roof but I really had to sweat cutting in all the timbers.....tedious stuff.:chainsaw:

Yea,we did alot of the same things....6" polystyrene panels,we used 2x8's for the secondary framing,and topped it off with 3/4".....then the metal roof.It never did seem to end and yea,the fascia came out around 20"

It makes for a really sound roof but I really had to sweat cutting in all the timbers.....tedious stuff.:chainsaw:

:cheers: Here's to you having lot's more work in the future. . . This economy sucks. :dizzy:

Nope,we had a company out of Tennessee mill those,they are white pine from Appalacia.

The yellow pine in the ceiling is a different story,we made the largest with milled wood.:popcorn:

Man I envy you guys that do residential work, We would have our asses nailed to the wall is we were caught up in the air with out fall protection. Beautiful work on the home!:clap::cheers:

Latest posts

Back