Just rebuilt a ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khntr85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well guys I bought a ms180 a couple of weeks ago that had a badly scored piston and ran very poorly.... It came with 3-14" bars with 4 good chains, for $40.... The guy also gave me a ms180 carcus for parts, and 3 very good RM 20" chains that fit my ms362....seemed like a great deal to me anyway....

Well since this is a "clamshell" design, I decided to get a whole engine assembly.... I found a decent looking aftermarket engine on eBay for $48 shipped to my door.... Well after some cussing tearing this thing apart, I finally get it all back together.....I filled her up with gas, and she started right up..... So far I have ran maybe 2-3 tanks of gas threw her, and to be honest I think I am going to keep this little saw.... I have cut a piece of ash that was 10-12" and with a light hand this little saw cut right threw it...seems to be a good little limbing saw that weighs nothing.... So any way just thought I would report how this rebuild went, since I went with this whole engine assembly....
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh and please excuse my messy work bench, I am always working on something, and since I have a little 11 month old baby girl now, I haven't been cleaning up my garage like usual.... Some of your guys work shops are so clean and organized it blows me away!!!!

Oh and please excuse my messy work bench, I am always working on something, and since I have a little 11 month old baby girl now, I haven't been cleaning up my garage like usual.... Some of your guys work shops are so clean and organized it blows me away!!!!
I was just thinking about how clean it was - in comparison to mine anyway. I have no babies around and no excuses. I'm a work bench slob, that's the way it is and I don't care.

LOL, ya I must admit, I did "push" some stuff out of the way, I thought these guys will revoke my membership to this site if they see how cluttered my work bench is....

Oh I meant to say also, i don't know for sure what brand this engine..... However the spark plug does say farm tec, so obviously I am assuming that is what the whole engine is.... Do any of you guys have any ideas on that....

Also I am sure there are a lot of guys on here that have just decided to put in a whole engine in like I did, so I am wondering what you guys think about these aftermarket engines, and how long have they lasted for you guys....

Farmer Tech makes some decent stuff, I've used some of their products and so far no problems. If your saw has the non-adjustable carburetor that might be your next improvement. I believe Zama makes an adjustable carb for this saw if you plan to keep the saw for a while.

Yes mine is the carb that has only the chain adjustment.... However, unless something goes major wrong, I will probably be keeping this saw stock.....I will only be using her for limbing, and I have 4 other saws, all bigger to use if and when the timber gets bigger!!!!!

What's up with the scoring on the piston in the last pic?

That was the piston that was in the saw when I got it..... Hard to believe it, but the saw did start up and run, but poorly none the less LOL....after seeing how bad this piston was scored, I figured hell with it decided to buy a whole engine assembly.... I mean the bearings and seals were probably bad too...... Now I personally alway use OEM parts if at all possible, but given this situation were this ms180 doesn't have that much value, I thought I would experiment and get a whole engine assembly.....

Now granted I have only ran 3 tanks of gas threw this new motor, so who knows it may blow up next time I start it, or might just last me years, only time will tell....

Oh and Brad, I may be a newer member, but I have been lurking on this site for years, and I remember a thread were you played with a ms180.....what were your overall opions on the ms180, and have you ever tried the aftermarket engine approach on any other saws??????..... Thanks for your reply as I know you have been working on saw for long time and have a a lot of knowledge on many different models!!!!!

Farmer Tech makes some decent stuff, I've used some of their products and so far no problems. If your saw has the non-adjustable carburetor that might be your next improvement. I believe Zama makes an adjustable carb for this saw if you plan to keep the saw for a while.

To be honest with ya, I think I will look up which model of the Zama fully adjustable carb will fit this saw.... I mean it can't cost that much, and I mean to me it's always better to be able to tune the saw as needed.....

To be honest with ya, I think I will look up which model of the Zama fully adjustable carb will fit this saw.... I mean it can't cost that much, and I mean to me it's always better to be able to tune the saw as needed.....
Actually, there are probably more than one brand that fits the saw. I found one on ebay this week when I was working on a 170 that was fully adjustable and only cost 7.69 and had free shipping..

Ya I will look around.... I like being able to adjust my carbs, so I probably need to get one...

Reinspect your fuel line closely, look for cracks and signs of gumminess. The new fuel line is green and holds up much better.

Ok I will double check the lines, never hurts to replace the lines anyway....

Latest posts

Back