Just thinking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutterb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried using a 3/8 lp chain instead of a regular 3/8. The reason that I ask is because I have a stihl 029 with a 20" bar 3/8 chain that seems to be a bit much for this saw so I was thinking that rather than spending the money to change over to .325 I would try 3/8 lp. I have a couple smaller saws that cut pretty fast with the lp chain so as the title states I was just thinking.

I wouldn't, because I doubt that you'll be able to just change the chain. And LP has really small cutters and i wouldn't want it on a saw that sees any serious use, because they get filed away too fast.

It would cut nice tho, because its very thin :]

3/8" could be a little much for that saw. You might want to try Full Skip, I run this on everything works great.

Sam

thank's for the replys. But I am still wondering if a 3/8 .050 lp chain will fit a standard 3/8 sprocket. I think that it would be interesting to see how it would perform. I don't have a lp chain that length but I am willing to buy one if it will fit the sprocket and bar. I also own an echo cs 400 that I muffler modded and that saw rips with an 18" bar sporting a 3/8 lp chain. The skip chain is also a good idea but where would I purchase one?

thank's for the replys. But I am still wondering if a 3/8 .050 lp chain will fit a standard 3/8 sprocket. I think that it would be interesting to see how it would perform. I don't have a lp chain that length but I am willing to buy one if it will fit the sprocket and bar. I also own an echo cs 400 that I muffler modded and that saw rips with an 18" bar sporting a 3/8 lp chain. The skip chain is also a good idea but where would I purchase one?

Bailey's - Oregon 72JGX Chainsaw Chain

the sprocket is the same,,, both are 3/8 pitch

Sawtroll..told me not to run 3/8 lp on my MS200T...

Nor to run regular 3/8 pitch on my MS192T....

Said they were sightly different in pitch length - can do it in a pinch...but Not really interchangeable..!!

(As the 192T is .043 and the 200T is .050...one would also have to switch the bars..!!)

I'm Not gonna bet against Sawtroll on this..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I have a sprocket in 3/8 LP for my 026 (49cc). Seems to me that it is not quite the same spacing as regular 3/8.

As far as how it runs...Wooooweeee is it smooth and sweet on a 16" bar.

Latest posts

Back