Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GASoline71 said:
That looks good Andy....:D

How much would you charge for that to be done?

I wanna open up my 361 muffler, but I wanna keep it legal here in our home state.

Gary

Just to be clear... it's legal with respect to a Spark arrester, but not to EPA or CARB... But I think I know what you mean...:hmm3grin2orange:

As to the other question, not sure... first I need to find a good supply of the right sized tube. The last one I turned down in a lathe, and I'm not doing that for every muffler! I'm figuring that the 16mm option will be much easier but I won't know for a few days.

Lakeside53 said:
"rustic", and you can brand "2-hole" into all you rounds :clap:

This is a 034 with a broken crankcase (splinted with angle iron and rivets).

It is well on it's way to being a "hillbilly" saw.

... as for the two pipes sticking forward out of my muffler, I had the same spark arrestor idea you had.

sawn_penn said:
This is a 034 with a broken crankcase (splinted with angle iron and rivets).

It is well on it's way to being a "hillbilly" saw.

... as for the two pipes sticking forward out of my muffler, I had the same spark arrestor idea you had.

If you are going to use the Stihl spark arresters, you do need to get the pipe size figured first. The mesh is surprisingly tough and difficult to "mash" into anything other than what it was designed for. I turned (on a lathe) a 1/2 inch sleeve (about 12.8mm ID) until it was 14.3mm on the outside... Easier than driving 25 miles to get the right tube, but... I'm just going to get the right 5/8 (15.8mm) or .630 OD tube (16mm) and use the 16mm arrester/clip. 6 feet of it will keep me in muffler mod supplies for a lifetime.

The good thing about figuring this out is that it applies to any mid-size saw, not just Stihl. I thought about 2 14mm tubes on the right hand side of the 361 muffler (there is room), but I just don't need the outlet area. One 16mm will be plenty. Maybe on 80cc class or above I can add multiples.

Now to figure out what to do with my 088! (actually, that one is a no brainer...) and it's already so damn loud no one will notice if it gets louder:laugh:

Lakeside53 said:
If you are going to use the Stihl spark arresters, you do need to get the pipe size figured first. The mesh is surprisingly tough and difficult to "mash" into anything other than what it was designed for.

I have some other mesh, and I was planning to use hose clamps to hold it in place.

GASoline71 said:
That looks good Andy....:D

How much would you charge for that to be done?

I wanna open up my 361 muffler, but I wanna keep it legal here in our home state.

Gary

Ditto for me too, Andy....

Greg

16mm version done...

Here's the 16mm (od) version. This is done without uncrimping the muffler.

I never did get around to getting any 5/8 OD and 9/16 ID pipe. I just took a length of 3/8 black pipe, bored out the the center to 37/64 (you can use 9/16th... my bit was messed up), and turned the outside to 5/8 / 16mm. Easy to do in a lathe, and as you only need a 3/4 inch length, you could probably drill it in a drill press then take a file to the outside (while in the press and spinning ) and file it down to 16mm.

Place the pipe cut to length and with a 45 degree base (3/4 inch longest measurement) on the Muffler and scratch around it. This will give you a guide for drilling/filing. This is so you Do NOT make the hole too big or the pipe will slip inside and you will have to uncrimp the muffler to get it out! SLIGHTLY SMALLER IS BETTER!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Insert the Pipe into the hole. I put a set of vice grips on the pipe, hooked the right side end under the muffler metal, and let the weight of the grips hold it all in place so I could braze it without the pipe moving.
attachment.php

Brazing completed. Just a quick wire brush and a pick to remove any old flux, and ready for painting and baking. Now is the time to CLEAN OUT all the filings and junk you put in the muffler. Shake it, blow air though it and do whatever, but metal filings are not a good thing to have in the muffler...
attachment.php

Finished muffler and 16mm fire screen inserted.
attachment.php

So, how does it perform? Cuts good, gets up to rpm real quick, and more most importantly, it doesn't sounds like a strangled chicken or sewing machine any more!!! I did need to reset both the L and H on the carb to slightly richer. I don't have any measured cut times yet, but it definitely came alive. I the 16mm any better than the 14mm version? Hard to say... but it feels right at 16mm so that where it will stay.

DIY Muffler Mod

Well, maybe the moderators can sticky this thread, or something - I hope it can grow into a good bit of information, sort of like a reference guide, that folks can use to find info on modding their mufflers, rather than seeing a new post in the forum every other day.

YOU NEED TO MOD YOUR MUFFLER!
See this--> http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/33cchomelite.wmv

A basic muffler mod "opens up" the exhaust system to allow more gasses to flow out of the engine with less restriction. This is accomplished with a bigger 'hole' in the muffler.

SO, What do you need to mod your muffler? A little time, a little patience, a few tools, and a little skill.

You will need the following tools:

Drill and drill bits - up to 1/2" for most smaller saws, up to 3/4" for bigger saws.

A welder (MIG/TIG) or a set of Oxy/Act torches and proper filler material - yours or access to your friends, it doesn't matter, but you shouldn't be trying to JB weld your muffler together!

Dremel tool/files/die grinder - Just something to clean up the burrs on your steel pieces.

Hacksaw and tin snips - depending on the style of mod you plan to do, these will come in handy and at times, be necessary.

An assortment of steel - 1/2" - 3/4" tube, 18 ga. sheet, spark arrestor screen.

Mods are accomplished MANY different ways. But, the most basic modification is to drill a hole in your muffler. This increases the area your exhaust has to exit the muffler - allowing the saw to breathe better, run cooler, and perform better. Holes should be drilled in a convenient location where the exhaust won't blow back at the saw operator, burn plastic pieces on the saw, start a forest fire, etc. "Measure twice, cut once" and make sure you know what you want before you start hacking away at your muffler. The surface area of the new exhaust hole should be about 80 - 85% of the exhaust port surface area at the cylinder. Taking your muffler too far, and making too big an exhaust hole will actually decrease your saws performance!

Some saws have a 2 piece muffler. These can be disassembled and the baffles inside can be modified or removed. Some Stihl saws can also be equipped with a factory dual port muffler cover which usually makes any additional muffler mods unecessary for most folks. Saws without a 2 piece muffler cover can be cut open and gutted - however this is rather involved and requires more skill to put them back together (best accomplished with a TIG welder).

After you have your holes drilled and baffles modified, you need to "finish" your muffler. Finishing it can be accomplished many ways - the "looks" of the mod should be pleasing to you, but the bottom line is, the muffler MUST function well to give the desired performance. ALWAYS install a spark arrestor screen over the new hole you have drilled in your muffler! Based on how far you have taken your muffler, it's initial design, and your patience/craftsmanship skills, will determine how you finish it. I have included some picture of muffler mods below.

Some folks drill a hole, and use a washer with a screen behind it, welded to the muffler to "finish" it as seen below on rahtreelimbs Husky 359.

attachment.php

On a muffler mod I did to my Shidaiwa 577, I removed the factory deflector, and fabricated a new one out of 18ga sheetmetal, and 1/2" tube. My new piece replaces the factory deflector, is bolted to the muffler, and has a spark arrestor screen behind it. The internal baffles in the factory muffler were very free flowing, and I did not have to modify them.

1194Muffler_1.jpg

1194Muffler_2.jpg

I encourage others to add pertinent information and pictures to this thread with descriptions of their work, what saw it was on, etc. Please do not use this thread for ****-chat.

Last edited:
This one I made for my 372xpg ,,, (walkerz style)
It's two 16mm pipes "brazed"

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

/Kristoffer

Are there any drawbacks or downsides to opening up the exhausts on these saws?

I know that if you run a 4-stroke with just open headers, you can end up burning the valves / valve seats ... is there anything like that we need to watch out for on these 2-strokes?

Seems like the engineers would have figured out everything already on their own, and if the saw ran better with a less restrictive exhaust, they would have sent it out that way from the factory ... no?

Canyon Angler said:
Are there any drawbacks or downsides to opening up the exhausts on these saws?

I know that if you run a 4-stroke with just open headers, you can end up burning the valves / valve seats ... is there anything like that we need to watch out for on these 2-strokes?

Read my first post - all the combined surface area of all the holes in your muffler, should not exceed 80-85% of the of the surface area of the exhaust port at the piston surface.

Canyon Angler said:
Seems like the engineers would have figured out everything already on their own, and if the saw ran better with a less restrictive exhaust, they would have sent it out that way from the factory ... no?

No, the EPA has to butt their head in and mandate that saws be detuned to meet epa requirements - all this means is, rev limiters, restrictive intake and exhaust. Try breathing through a straw...just because you can, doesn't mean it is good or comfortable!

Four Paws do you think my outlet area is to big for a 372xpg ????

Four Paws said:
No, the EPA has to butt their head in and

Oh, I gotcha – :bang: :bang: :bang: Probably OSHA and everybody else in the alphabet soup, too. "Protecting us from ourselves."

Thank God for bureaucrats! :greenchainsaw:

Back