Larger climbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the older saws for climbing since they are smaller and lighter for their power. For a big step up from a top handle I'd grab my 361 with a 20" or 25" bar. My 024AVS (almost identical to a 026) is good for wood up to 16" and light for climbing but mostly I use it for limbing and light ground work. I'd stay away from the M-tronic saws if you can. All those saws (261C, 362C, 661CM, 201TC) I've used start having issues like having to start throttled when hot and randomly dying when running after about 6 months. Total pain when climbing.
Clean the airfilter

[emoji2] [emoji23] [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

We have a 201tc at work and have zero issues with starting. The 661cm is still new to us and not even broken in yet, so we shall see.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 261cm if it had to be stihl. If it's anything comparable to the 550xp you're gonna love it in the tree. A nice light powerful saw with a 20" bar is a beautiful thing and tackles most of our removals just fine. If you wanna go a bit bigger I would look into 362cm/562xp/6100s with a 24".

I'm leaning towards getting an 026 or a 260 just to make my lifer easier with the extra cc's. How do you feel about the older 026's and how much should one go for?
026 is climbing GOD. What I started with. Still have her in the lineup. My 540 is a limbing saw. That's all. Get into trunk wood and she's all 026's show then.

Back