Let it out thread..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Details...pics?

I bought an 084 from a guy locally that said it was ported and was having trouble getting it to stay running .........Im not sure who ported it as of yet but I will find out soon........

I figured I couldnt go wrong as I have three others and it looks like a great saw for parts if nothing else........

I have plenty of other ported saws and built by more than one builder and all are running great....

Wait till our dollar turns to crap Billy.

im not tryin to jack your thread ultra, just one more note to aussie1
I will visit one day. i saw that movie australia, and that is just an incredibly beautiful country.
also, to stay on topic, I have a new 2171 being ported and will let you know the results. should be back by Christmas. Hopin/knowin it will be a helluva present!!!!!:rocker::love1:

I think you may be taking it wrong Brad, it's not a knock on porting or reputable porters, just a knock on all the hack work that's out there, done by Joe Blow saw owner. If I'm looking to buy a saw, anonymous 'ported' is not a sales pitch. I'm very wary and want to see the work, more likely I'd avoid it as I'd rather port my own saws for the thrill of it anyways. That said, I really thought I had buggered up a 357 once. Thought I had taken too much out of the transfers and lost velocity there. Wasn't the case, so, onward through the fog.

Last edited:
I think you may be taking it wrong Brad, it's not a knock on porting or reputable porters, just a knock on all the hack work that's out there, done by Joe Blow saw owner. If I'm looking to buy a saw, anonymous 'ported' is not a sales pitch. I'm very wary and want to see the work, more likely I'd avoid it as I'd rather port my own saws for the thrill of it anyways. That said, I really thought I had buggered up a 357 once. Thought I had taken too much out of the transfers and lost velocity there. Wasn't the case, so, onward through the fog.

You got that correct...................Because of it I got a good deal for a good parts saw.....

I'm glad to see her back in the avatar aussie.

I had a WHS 460 that was the same as a stock 044. That turned me away from modded saws for a couple years.

A few members and I were on here when saw mods first hit the internet and were pleased with a 200$ muffler mod. Things have changed and we learn as we go along.
The axiom of some of the original saw builders that have come and gone was, "Tell them lies, and feed them candy."
John

You don't know Steve.

Garbage....

These are the types of threads (I will not give them credence by referring to them as "discussions") that inherently lead to disruption, dysfunction and ultimately decrease the value of a forum such as this. A select few will attempt to force their agenda and personal issues with others upon the group and the end result is that those who provide the greatest amount of knowledge and insight to the group will leave out of disgust.

The Internet emboldens people due to its anonymity and individuals feel safe writing things they would not have the courage to say in a face to face conversation. For some it provides them attention that is lacking in other areas of their life, while for others it is an opportunity to get even with or discredit another member. Unfortunately, for most it ruins what had been an fun avenue to learn about and share knowledge of saws.

All may do well to review the "ArboristSite.com Rules, Regulations, & Posting Guidelines" contained on the home page, specifically:

12. "You are not permitted to harass other members at ArboristSite.com. This includes offensive remarks or remarks that attempt to provoke another member. Sarcastic baiting is also not permitted. If you disagree with someone, state why, but do not resort to name calling, threats, etc…"

If you have an issue with a member, deal with it in private and leave the rest of us out it.

I know what you mean by the 'calling out' threads Guido, guess I just don't see this one going that way. Maybe something I'm missing, or maybe I'm flat wrong..

It may not be a bad thread and not designed to discredit others. Self proclaimed saw builders only know what they know as do the people who are buying their saws. It's a learning curve. If I was happy with a saw I bought 8 years ago, I have no right to discredit the builder now, although if you're any damn good or not, you'll try to build you own saw or find the best builder.
After all a saw is only as fast as the one who is using it.
John

Well, I'm waiting for something terrible to happen in this thread. I guess I must have missed something.

OP was disappointed in a ported saw he bought. A monkey can run a dremel tool and type ported, doesn't relieve the buyer from due diligence. As it was said, go with reliable, do it yourself, or be damned sure you check it out. The risk is known.

Back