Lifespan of a file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Lots of threads on filing but I've not seen a word on how long to use your file before it needs replacing. I try to rotate the (round) file as I go to keep it "fresh", but when do you throw it away and grab a new one?

Hi Sapwood, it all depends on how much you rock out and how much polish and shine you have. Unlike me- I just toss them in the tool box, it is much better to make a file caddy by getting some 3/4" copper tubing and two caps. Solder one cap on the end and have the other end loose so as to put in your files. With a bit of ingunuity you could make a clip on one end to attach it to your belt like a Finish filleting knife.
John

Good tip John! Rocky, a week for you is how many sharpenings? I know you like yours razor sharp, file often (each tank of mix) and NEVER rock out...

I recently bought two dozen (1 ea. of 3/8 and .325) so I have the option of grabbing a new one. Just wondered if there was a rule of thumb.

Sap

Hi Sapwood, don't listen to Brian, he knows nothing of files nor filing. Trust me, files are best kept with axes and ballpeen hammers.
John

Awww Brian, you took all the fun out of the project when you told Sapwood to only glue one end on!

Sapwood

I asked the same question about a year ago to get a feel for what everyone else was getting for file life and got the same sort of answers that you are getting now. No definitive number of sharpenings or such. Like Brian said, "When it isn`t throwing metal shavings or it feels like it is just polishing, I toss it and grab a fresh file." I have another criteria also. If I can`t freshen up a wood dull edge in three strokes or less, the file gets pitched.

They are cheap by the dozen with many suppliers selling them for $9/dozen or less. Try Jeff Sikkema, CCD, Bailey`s, Madsen`s, Cutter`s Choice or the file king himself, Don Brown(AS name Don), better known as roachjob on eBay.

I`ve had the best across the board reults from the swiss made files.

Russ

Brian, Your file container is a good idea, but does not having more than one file in the tube defeat its purpose? A bunch of files banging into each other does nothign for their edge.

ON the subject of file brands. I like the el-cheapo Oregon's the best.

I get 3-4 days on a file, I file alot, and im also picky about the files...

Hi, As with almost all cutting tools, a file will "tell" you when it is dull. If it's not biting, and skating, it's dull, or plugged. Keep your file clean to get the most depth of cut. If the file teeth are shiny, and rolled over, it's dull. I filed with too little pressure when I started out, that also dulls a file in this situation. Jokers set me strait on that. My backround in Toolmaking/metalworking did not really translate into saw filing very well. I did not believe you could sharpen a tooth correctly in three strokes, with an itty bitty 3/16 rat-tail. You can. I prefer Sandvik files. Because I get them cheap. And they seem to last.

As an oldtimer customer of mine has always said

"Stihl chain you use 6 files a chain, Oregon chain you use 6 chains per file"

This guy is full of knowledge.

Originally posted by Rich Hoffman
How much effect does back-dragging a file have on its life expectancy?

BTW.......real nice avitar Brian!!!

Zero as far as filing the saw, IMO.

Moreso, as far as wearing out the file.

Sapwood, buy yourself a file card and clean your file when it gets loaded up with metal shavings. Keeping it clean will let the file cut better, and this will give you more file life too. Also try soaking your old files in vinegar, this will etch and old file and sometimes bring it back to life. Dennis

ok yall got me thinking ,,dangerouse .. couldnt find the wifes venegar.. so there be a lot o 2 litter cokes.. i droped an handfull of files in there and before i could get the lid on it spewed.. on top o that i could see the coke really cutting up in there after i got the lid on..
enough so that i put the dang thing outside.. i aint sayin the cokes doing nothing to the files but i can gurantee the files is doing something i didnt expect to the coke.. i gonna have to open it with my rifle from a distance off. no joke..
anybody care for a swig.. ive either discovered a new drink or mabe a new crazy thing to do to files..

Tony, Coke works good on corroded battery terminals also! Diet coke isn't as sticky and works equally well. Never tried it on a file...just think what it does to our guts! Russ, Jeff Sikkema is the man for me. I get all my stuff from him. It all started with a Maxx Grinder. I have had moderate success filing, but I realize that the key to chain/saw life is keeping them sharp in the field....

Amazing how I spent 20 years cutting and never even bothered to try to sharpen a chain. I would run three chains until they wouldn't cut then take them to the local shop for a grind! Only had one saw then too! Now I got 5 saws, miles of chain, bars of all sizes, a grinder and a terrible AS habit!

Thanks for all the replies, Sap

Squirrel, cleaning your file while you file is the best way to keep your file cutting, but if you only have one junky file like I bet some of these guy do, stick it in the vinegar for a little etching and it might just cut a little better. Also, they don't make 150 Oberg double end chisel files any more so I etch those to get more use.

Dennis did you ever see the files Marcel used they were oberg but are thinner, he said they quite making them in 1968 , he bought all they had which was over 500 dozen . They were a better file than any i have tried before. The corner is prefect on these files. the files today are thicker by a bit and not a nice corner

I've posted this before; I keep a straw over my handled files. A little piece of tape secures them.

If you can keep any metal to metal contact from happening with yur files(ANY FILES) they will last a lot longer.

ehp, I know about that Oberg but haven't seen any for years. I have seen a couple of files stop being made or made by a different company in another country. They always are worst than they were. Oberg files made in Sweden were always very good quality. Now days its hard just to find a chisel file that has a straight edge. What file do you use when your not grinding Ed?

Latest posts

Back