Lifespan of a file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, are there any limitations on engine size to take advantage of the square ground chain? I've seen it written on this forum that a minimum of 65cc is necessary to see any discernible improvement over round ground chain.

JJ, around here you would get laughed out of the woods if you showed up with round chisel. Plus you wouldn't make a dime if you were cutting by the piece. Plus your back would be killing you. Carrying extra chain is a must, I only touch up my chain with a file when its barely dusted. If its bad, I change it. Cutting dirty wood, some might file round, but round filed chisel doesn't cut near as fast as square. Especially in the limbs, and if you timbers limby thats where all the work is.

WRW:

If your saw is a bit wimpy wouldn't a more efficient cutting chain be the medicine for it. This is armchair engineering on my part for sure, but my little 260 Stihl likes it.

I find that a new factory squre ground (at least Carlton and Oregon) is only a bit faster than a once or twice round filed. Seems to be not too crisp in the inside corner and pretty blunt angles. Any thoughts here you guys with the know?

Frank

I dunno, I've also read that square ground shines in softwoods, but the advantages disappear in hardwoods. People that use timers are where my information came from. If they are wrong, I'd like to amend my thinking on this matter.

Frank, I think that your right in that Oregons factory grind leaves a lot to be desired. It just wont cut. Looks like they kind of rough it in. Maybe they know everybody will put their own grinder or file to it anyway.

John

Oregon square chisel use to come stamped not ground. Carlton is ground but the stock angles are real blunt and not that sharp. Always file or grind a new chain, or it won't cut very good. Also, if your using a smaller size saw, your rakers have to be adjusted so the chain does not grad to much wood. This will knock your HP right out of a small saw if not adjusted properly. Remember there's more to a good cutting chain than just a sharp tooth. You guys talk about soft and hardwoods, well that chain will cut both woods with the right raker height. If your chains cutting rough your rakers are probably to low, but you will have to experiment for yourself to find what work best for you.

Crofter- new chain of any brand is junk. I've found all new chain needs to be touched up regardless if its square, round, chipper, or carbide. You are correct though- a smaller saw will cut more with a razor sharp square chisel chain than it ever will with round. I've gotten away with using an 036 in smaller timber and I keep right up with the 046 and 066 guys, but I have to change my chain every three tanks ( 90 minutes ) of gas.

Latest posts

Back